Important Announcement/Poll

The series of maps created by Xavious that follow the story of the 607th legion.

Moderator: Moderators

Read the options in my post below, and vote.

Option A - Cut Kamino completely
54%
Option B - Release Kamino without Campaign (will take longer)
11%
Option C - Finish everything (will take MUCH longer)
29%
Option D - If you have another idea, post it.
7%

Total votes: 28
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Important Announcement/Poll

Post by Xavious »

Hey guys, bit of bad new for all of you.

I'm having quite a lot of trouble with the final map, Kamino. If you've been watching the Modding forum, you may have noticed I'm having troubles with Kamino's water disappearing at certain angles. Not only that, but you can also see straight through it and see the "submerged" pieces of the sunken ships. All in all, it's a real pain to work with.

About the campaign mode: I realized I'm getting in way over my head. The stuff I wanted to do requires quite a deal of scripting, and I'm really just starting in on learning mission scripting. I've gotten some basic stuff so far; go to rendezvous point, capture command post, kill some enemies; but I don't think I'm going to be able to do the rest without a lot more time and experimentation.

To top it all off, gameplay and map design are poor in both conquest and campaign. I'm near the end of the project, and I've lost almost all the inspiration I had at the start. I can't believe I actually started off planning to do more than 20 maps.

So this is where you all come in. I've got a couple options I could do to wrap up the project.

A)Just cut Kamino, and put finishing touches on the rest of the maps. If I do this, I could probably release the map pack in about a week or two. I might eventually redo Kamino later and release it seperately.

B)Try to find a solution to the problematic water and release Kamino without campaign mode. Would take longer, depending on if and when I can fix the water, and I'd also have to re-map Kamino. Like I said, gamplay is very poor.

C)Same as option B), but also finish campaign mode. Would take much, much longer. I really don't want to take this route.

I'm really leaning towards option A) at the moment, but I still want to hear what you all think.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Important Announcement/Poll

Post by MandeRek »

I played the last versions/maps, and they were awesome.. Now i voted option A, since you're leaning to it. NEVER mod something you don't want to.. NEVER! It will only result in inaccurate work, or work that, at least, could have been better. It's already amazing without kamino ;) :thumbs:
AlexSecura
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by AlexSecura »

I think same like Manderek.
The Pack is with or without Kamino absolute awesome. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Cut it out,if you dont want it.
I vote Option A,too
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

I would reconsider calling this "the end of the 607th saga". Release what you've got after touching it up, then go on with your maps. When you feel inspiration or that you've learned what you need of mission scripting, go back (if you feel like you want to). We can wait for Kamino, just like we've faithfully waited for this release.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Grev wrote:"the end of the 607th saga"
Tell me where I said that. :P
Commander_Fett
High General
High General

Post by Commander_Fett »

That Kamino map nlooked cool, but it's your choice, so I'd say go with A. Hopefuly you'll decide to come back to it later. If not, it's still an awesome series.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Xavious wrote:
Grev wrote:"the end of the 607th saga"
Tell me where I said that. :P
Well, lets take a look shall we?
607th Final Map Pack
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

By "final" I mean "last version of," as opposed to "end of." I couldn't just call it the 607th Map Pack.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I say go with option A. Like MandeRek said, there's no point in working on something you don't enjoy. Better to have a smaller number of high-quality maps than a larger number of okay-quality maps, or several high-quality maps overshadowed by one low-quality map.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Do what you want, of course. Sometimes it's easier to scrap a map and rebuild, but it is of course more time-consuming.

However, if you're trying to tell a story, don't be afraid to try and figure some new stuff out to tell your story to completion. If you want some help campaign scripting, let me know. A short campaign isn't hard to write, and I'll be happy to provide examples/code samples if you need them.
fai222
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by fai222 »

I voted for A. If you dont enjoy working on it nor have the experience to do it, there is no point continuing. Personly, I was very exited about Kamino, but even without it, the map pack got the best maps I have ever played. If you one day got the inspiration to make it and know how, we all here on GT will support you. :thumbs:
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

i voted A
Are you thinking of making a replacement map?
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Maveritchell wrote:However, if you're trying to tell a story, don't be afraid to try and figure some new stuff out to tell your story to completion.
Definitely true. Just look at the map series I've been working on - I went through multiple renditions of one map, none of them worked out, so I just scrapped that map and moved its story to what would have been the next map in the series.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Maveritchell wrote:Do what you want, of course. Sometimes it's easier to scrap a map and rebuild, but it is of course more time-consuming.

However, if you're trying to tell a story, don't be afraid to try and figure some new stuff out to tell your story to completion. If you want some help campaign scripting, let me know. A short campaign isn't hard to write, and I'll be happy to provide examples/code samples if you need them.
^^What Mav said, but it's your choice in the end.
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

MandeRek wrote:I played the last versions/maps, and they were awesome.. Now i voted option A, since you're leaning to it. NEVER mod something you don't want to.. NEVER! It will only result in inaccurate work, or work that, at least, could have been better. It's already amazing without kamino ;) :thumbs:
I agree with Mande, it's your mappack do what you want.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

This was released almost half a year ago. I appreciate the input, but you're a bit late. :P

As this is a bump, LOCKED.