Getting Creature Models from Spore

Show off your mods, get help on a mod, heck, even just have a good time downloading other folks mods. This forum is all about modding for any non-SWBF games.

Moderator: Moderators

MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Getting Creature Models from Spore

Post by MileHighGuy »

you can export your spore model into collada format!

http://www.spore.com/comm/tutorials/export_creatures

it would be fun to see a spore creatue in swbf (i dont know if its legal though)

(feel free to move topic, im not sure its in the right place)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Getting Creature Models from Spore

Post by Maveritchell »

MileHighGuy wrote:it would be fun to see a spore creatue in swbf (i dont know if its legal though)
It's unlikely, but what does the EULA say? It says you have to agree to the EULA when you export it - mind trying it out and telling us what you're agreeing to?
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=spore+eula
EA owns all of the right, title and interest in the Software; to the assets included in the Software for building and animating creatures and for creating backgrounds and video clips; and to all derivative works comprised of those assets, including the Spore creatures that you create, animate, and capture in screen shots or video clips using the Spore Creature Creator. You may use only the assets supplied with the Software and the Spore Creature Creator to create Spore creatures and related assets. You may not further modify Spore creatures with any other materials, tools, or software programs. All rights not expressly granted herein, are reserved by EA.
It doesn't specifically say that you can't, and I'm not sure if converting is considered modifying, but to be on the safe side, I think "no" is the best answer.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Thanks, chief, but I wasn't looking for that, otherwise I would have Googled it for myself.

If you read through what he posted (!), you'll see that a EULA comes up when you run the "colladaexport" function, and I assumed (of course this could be an incorrect assumption) that this is something different since you have to agree to it at the point of conversion. I was unsure - since I don't own the game - if the terms of use were any different or if they had been modified. While it looks like it's the standard boilerplate EULA with restrictions on use, I figured it couldn't do any harm to check with someone who had the game - so if you do, feel free to post something helpful - because just Google searching yields inconclusive results (it seems to be up in the air whether these can be used in other games or not).
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

I was under the impression that since the end-user had agreed to the EULA, it's set in stone and can only be added to, not subtracted from. Thereby anything in the original game's EULA still applies.

http://oceanquigley.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -maya.html
Ocean Quigley wrote:I'm not a lawyer, and haven't gone through the EULA in any detail, but my understanding is that you can't use the exported creatures in commercial projects.
He's the guy that wrote the guide. There's another guy in there that has the same view with no one contradicting them, however, it would be nice to see that EULA.
Last edited by Frisbeetarian on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Frisbeetarian wrote:From the first result:
Ocean Quigley wrote:I'm not a lawyer, and haven't gone through the EULA in any detail, but my understanding is that you can't use the exported creatures in commercial projects.
He's the guy that wrote the guide. There's another guy in there that has the same view with no one contradicting them, however, it would be nice to see that EULA.
Right, which doesn't apply here as none of us are pursuing commercial projects.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

Still, nothing negates the original EULA and my original point stands.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Frisbeetarian wrote:Still, nothing negates the original EULA and my original point stands.
If we knew that for sure, that would be super. I don't, do you?
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

here is the export tool EULA

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

That certainly clears it up:
solely for your personal noncommercial use in connection with EA's products
Regardless of any clarification of permissions, SWBF-series is certainly not an EA product. It's hard to tell whether it would be ok to use them in another EA game (it would seem almost counterintuitive if you could not - otherwise the tool simply becomes an exercise in allowing you to pose and render your creature models), but that is something for someone else to figure out.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

ah thanks mav