Republic Commando Mod Idea

Show off your mods, get help on a mod, heck, even just have a good time downloading other folks mods. This forum is all about modding for any non-SWBF games.

Moderator: Moderators

yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Republic Commando Mod Idea

Post by yuke5 »

First of all, I would like to state this right off the bat. I do not mod Republic Commando. I mod Star Wars Battlefront II. However, I am still a modder, so I have an idea of the limitations of a mod. My idea is this: A mod for Republic Commando called...Trandoshan Commando. Instead of playing the game from the point of view of the Republic Commandos, the game is played by Trandoshan Mercenaries. Plenty of resources for this are already in place, such as VO's, first person views (from multiplayer) and weapons. A really think a lot could be done with a trando loadout. I'm thinking a re-skinned dc-15 side arm blaster, ACP Repeater Primary, Shotgun, and maybe as the anti-armor, a stouker concussion rifle. The only thing missing would be a sniper rifle, but then again, the Republic Commandos don't have a specific close range weapon, but trandos would have a close range specific weapon. Any potential campaign would have a lot of freedom as Trandoshans may be found at any of Republic Commando's three stages. Maybe your sqaud of Trandoshans board a Republic Assault as it is under attack by the CIS. Your goal is to steal an item of great value, and then get off. You navigate the cross fire, take out droids and clone troopers. Then you get the item, and get back to your drop ship. That is a pretty realistic campaign idea. There are also plenty of reasons for a campaign mission of Kashyyyk. Maybe there could be a mission to capture Tarful. Maybe you assassinate a prominent Wookiee to gain to trust of the CIS. Who knows? There are plenty of plot lines to choose from. Furthermore, the mod could be played across countries, as Trandoshans are barely intelligible as it is. Players would have to rely on subtitles but immersion would be preserved.

Well, that is my half baked idea. I hope this gave some ideas to anyone who actively mods Republic Commando. The game is a classic, although there likely aren't going to be any sequels any time soon. I'm a little sad there are less mods for the game. More people need to continue playing it.

EDIT:

Did some research and found a website that seems to be a little like gametoast, except for RC .

http://umh.sandcrawler.net/index.php?page=tutorials

I think I'll see if I can get a simple two-room map working. 8)
[Skirata] Atin [General]
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: The Legend of Cyro
Games I'm Playing :: Mass Effect 3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Republic Commando Mod Idea

Post by [Skirata] Atin [General] »

cool idea. but fighting clones could be a bit...problematic. the normal clone troopers have not such an intelligent AI like the trandoshan have. i could give them the commando AI...but the problem would be that they wouldn't use the DC15 then!...new mesh, other AI...controller class changing maybe! yes, could be an option!
hockeygoalie35
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by hockeygoalie35 »

I'm part of a pretty big modding team called Carbonite Modders.
We're currently working on a mod called the ARC trooper Mod but this could be a pretty intresting concept for a new mod. This is a great idea and is defenitly do-able.

not to advertise, but while we all wait for eternity for RC2, maybe you'd like to try out our mod? its not perfect, since its a beta, but sill great nonetheless...
http://www.moddb.com/mods/arc-trooper-mod
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

Wow! I have actually downloaded and played the 3.0 before. Thanks for the heads up on the 4.0! I didn't know some of you were on gametoast.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I'm a big fan of your work by the way.
Hidden/Spoiler:
On another side note, what is the best spot to learn about modding Republic Commando?
hockeygoalie35
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by hockeygoalie35 »

Yeah, I've tried my hand at BF2 modding for personal use, I should stick with RC :mrgreen:

Anyway, we have a few tutorials up on LucasForums (although now that I look at some of mine, they seem a little Vague. :oops:

http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=769

If you have any questions, shoot me a message via LF or Moddb and I'd be more than happy to answer!

EDIT: and at General, I belive that they use the same ai, (side-step, dodge, run, etc.)
[Skirata] Atin [General]
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: The Legend of Cyro
Games I'm Playing :: Mass Effect 3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by [Skirata] Atin [General] »

not really hockey. some of the bots dont use cover systems or other more intelligent movement commands. or they are just disabeled. they all got different controller classes