Paid Mods on Steam

Show off your mods, get help on a mod, heck, even just have a good time downloading other folks mods. This forum is all about modding for any non-SWBF games.

Moderator: Moderators

THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Paid Mods on Steam

Post by THEWULFMAN »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:[...]a legitimate job[...]

Though at this point, we're entering a territory where we have to ask "what is a legitimate job?"
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

THEWULFMAN wrote:If they want to be serious about this, invert the percentages. 25% for Bethesda+Valve, 75% to the modder. They claim they want modders "to work on their mods full time if they wanted to" but that's not feasible with what is essentially a 75% income tax.
They won't do that because it was never, ever about supporting modders. It's about making easy money off other people's work.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:[...]a legitimate job[...]

Though at this point, we're entering a territory where we have to ask "what is a legitimate job?"

Anything that you can get money from that doesn't harm others or yourself. My definition anyway. :)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Zapattack1234 wrote:Anything that you can get money from that doesn't harm others or yourself.
Well...

Boxing, American football, hockey, and many other kinds of sports. Security/police and active military positions. High physical stress jobs like land surveying, construction work, and others. There's a lot of jobs that can and often do involve physical harm to yourself or others. :p

My definition would be 'anything you can get money from that isn't illegal.'

Which would include selling mods as long as the developer is okay with it like Bethesda was (or more accurately, ZeniMax, we need to remember who owns Bethesda). Otherwise, it'd be illegal.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Maveritchell wrote:That was fast. Hope Valve (or someone) gives it a second go in a revamped fashion.
Don't worry, they only fully scrap stuff for the third iteration. ;)
Hidden/Spoiler:
:( :( :(
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Zapattack1234 wrote:Anything that you can get money from that doesn't harm others or yourself.
Well...

Boxing, American football, hockey, and many other kinds of sports. Security/police and active military positions. High physical stress jobs like land surveying, construction work, and others. There's a lot of jobs that can and often do involve physical harm to yourself or others. :p

My definition would be 'anything you can get money from that isn't illegal.'

Which would include selling mods as long as the developer is okay with it like Bethesda was (or more accurately, ZeniMax, we need to remember who owns Bethesda). Otherwise, it'd be illegal.
I didn't even think of professional sports...... Good point.
Chadaface
Private

Post by Chadaface »

I like to compare this "monetized mods" idea with the Apple and Google's App stores. It could work and in the coming years it'll probably turn into a market of some sort.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

The Steam Workshop is already exactly like an App Store, except everything's free. So your analogy doesn't really work.

I mean I get what your saying. But putting it in a marketplace setting isn't immediately going to make that market work. Because they did that. And it didn't. So that's not the problem.