New Site Rules added

Leave us posts on anything related to your views on gametoast.com, improvements, gripes, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

New Site Rules added

Post by Teancum »

Recently PMing veteran members for help has become a big issue (I get at LEAST 5 PMs a week, and I know others get quite a few as well). That being said, a new rule has been added:
The Rules wrote:NO PMing members for mod help or requests
We understand that you get stuck modding, but DO NOT PM members of the community for help. Make a topic in the SWBF2 modding forum, and everyone will contribute what they can to the answer. If we don't know, then we don't know.

And under no circumstances will you EVER PM a member with a requests to make something for you. That's what the request thread is for. Doing so is punishable by a 30 day ban, no questions asked.
If you need to request something, do it in the request topic, found in the SWBF2 General forum. If you have a modding issue, post it in the SWBF2 Modding forum. If we know how to help, we will. If not then no amount of PMing people will help.

Thanks and have a nice day.

EDIT
New courtesy rules:
  • Please try to use Hide tags with large images.
    How large? If your image is or exceeds 1024 by 768 pixels, then it would be a good idea to use Hide tags. This will prevent posts from stretching on systems using low resolution/small monitors. Also, when quoting an image, regardless of its dimensions, using Hide tags would also be a good idea.
  • Please try to use Hide tags with large walls of text.
    Ideal for LUA, ODF, REQ, and error logs. If the character limit is exceeded in a single post, especially with posting error logs, post it on TextBin.com, and link it in your post instead. So there is absolutely no excuse for making multiple posts in a row!
Don't spam rule addon:
This includes spamming via PM/sending members unwanted messages!
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Re: New Site Rule added

Post by Caleb1117 »

This of course excluding when you ask someone to PM you about whatever their request/modding issue is, right?
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR

Post by MandeRek »

Am I counted as veteran modder? :P

I get requests about moddels and exporting all the time.. Do i need to report those, if they bother me, to a moderator? :?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

MandeRek wrote:Am I counted as veteran modder? :P

I get requests about moddels and exporting all the time.. Do i need to report those, if they bother me, to a moderator? :?
The rule applies for all members, veteran or not (although you certainly fit into the former category).

If someone's bothering you then you are of course welcome to report them as it is in the rules. If you're willing to personally overlook that particular rule in your case, then we can't (or more likely won't) really stop you from being helpful, but you should not feel obligated as a member to grant someone else's request.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Maveritchell wrote:If someone's bothering you then you are of course welcome to report them as it is in the rules. If you're willing to personally overlook that particular rule in your case, then we can't (or more likely won't) really stop you from being helpful, but you should not feel obligated as a member to grant someone else's request.
Mav said it perfectly. If you don't want to report it because you don't mind, that's fine. This is to protect those who get bombarded.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR

Post by MandeRek »

Teancum wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:If someone's bothering you then you are of course welcome to report them as it is in the rules. If you're willing to personally overlook that particular rule in your case, then we can't (or more likely won't) really stop you from being helpful, but you should not feel obligated as a member to grant someone else's request.
Mav said it perfectly. If you don't want to report it because you don't mind, that's fine. This is to protect those who get bombarded.
Okay that's clear.. Thanks for explaining :)
wazmol
High General
High General
Projects :: Thinking...
Games I'm Playing :: Black Ops

Post by wazmol »

Teancum wrote:
Your right and this rule is a very good one. Thanks to the staff on this one!
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I get these all the time and I just toss the pm and dont reply but I can see how its silly that these people think we all just sit around waiting to answer lame requests all day.

If you want we can make a special group in the forums and put vets in it and remove pms or not let people pm them unless its by invite.
wazmol
High General
High General
Projects :: Thinking...
Games I'm Playing :: Black Ops

Post by wazmol »

Just the 2 days ago i got another one, but it didnt bother me this time.

@G: That sounds like a cool idea, however how would something like that be set up?
swbf_lase
Major General
Major General
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by swbf_lase »

Thank you! This rule was most needed :)
Challenger33
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Challenger33 »

Thanks for adding that rule; it's definitely a good one.

I remember getting PM's about requests and about me providing a release date for HFA. I just ignored the latter.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by The_Emperor »

guru wrote:I get these all the time and I just toss the pm and dont reply but I can see how its silly that these people think we all just sit around waiting to answer lame requests all day.

If you want we can make a special group in the forums and put vets in it and remove pms or not let people pm them unless its by invite.
But... the only one that comes close enough to be in that group is Caleb with his ambitions to become a veterinarian, so it'd be a 1 man group :?
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Post by Caleb1117 »

Lawl.

I don't like that idea, I don't mind random new members or whoever PM'ing me with occasional requests, and such, because I often need ideas, and I know it's well in my rights to decline. I'm also quite capable of telling someone to stop if they are constantly pestering me or abusing the the PM system, and report them to "management" if they do not stop on my request. :wink:

Even if I plan to turn someone down, I wouldn't ever want to ignore them, or have a computer do that for me. I'd feel like a bit of an arse...
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Quoting the above post...
Me too.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

The following rule in the first post of this very topic has been reinstated:
  • NO PMing members for mod help or requests
    We understand that you get stuck modding, but DO NOT PM members of the community for help. Make a topic in the SWBF2 modding forum, and everyone will contribute what they can to the answer. If we don't know, then we don't know.

And under no circumstances will you EVER PM a member with a requests to make something for you. That's what the request thread is for. Doing so is punishable by a 30 day ban, no questions asked.
There are also two new courtesy rules:
  • Please try to use Hide tags with large images.
    How large? If your image is or exceeds 1024 by 768 pixels, then it would be a good idea to use Hide tags. This will prevent posts from stretching on systems using low resolution/small monitors. Also, when quoting an image, regardless of its dimensions, using Hide tags would also be a good idea.
  • Please try to use Hide tags with large walls of text.
    Ideal for LUA, ODF, REQ, and error logs. If the character limit is exceeded in a single post, especially with posting error logs, post it on TextBin.com, and link it in your post instead. So there is absolutely no excuse for making multiple posts in a row!
And a new addition to the Don't spam rule:
This includes spamming via PM/sending members unwanted messages!
Please familiarize yourselves with these. Thanks!