New user gone?

Leave us posts on anything related to your views on gametoast.com, improvements, gripes, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

New user gone?

Post by 501st_commander »

I just saw a new user. Ever so often i click on him/her's link to see what on the profile. But with this one, it was gone
Bituppysmesealparl

Did he/she post something bad at first, or did a admin know it was a forum bot?
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Re: New user gone?

Post by Xavious »

Didn't verify their e-mail yet, or used a fake e-mail and got wiped is my guess. Though I do have to ask, why does it matter?

EDIT: On reconsideration, it's more likely the latter than the former above.
Last edited by Xavious on Tue May 04, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Xavious wrote:Though I do have to ask, why does it matter?
It was odd to me why a new user was gone. Also i am tring to figure out where forum bot are, and how they act. So i can make a script to *try* to prevent them from registering on forums.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

i have implimented a spam killer and its now working 100%, users that register to fast are auto banned, users who try to post have to have their 1st 5 posts approved by admins/mods before they appear, new users have to do a small visual test to register to verify they are human not spam, there are some other protections in place , together spammers have been 101% stopped. The cool thing is even if someone gets passed all this, I have put in 1 click banning to block their isp forever , if you see someone go bye bye its probably the server tossing them.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

501st_commander wrote:i am tring to figure out where forum bot are, and how they act. So i can make a script to *try* to prevent them from registering on forums.
I'm sure there is someone on the internet who can help you out with that, have you tried doing a google search for spam bot behaviors? Or reading the wikipedia article? (it's quite short, but it may help)
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by RogueKnight »

guru wrote:users that register to fast are auto banned
What about those poor people who didn't know not to go too fast?
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Thanks guru. Its almost unbelievable how must you have to go through to stop bots..

@Nihillo: No i havent. I been watching on some forums of what they do. One posted 12 times. Same title. Same link (like in the article, but to its site). All in 10 seconds.

@RK: i think is about 3-5 seconds. It would take a person a lot longer :P
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

RogueKnight wrote:
guru wrote:users that register to fast are auto banned
What about those poor people who didn't know not to go too fast?
By fast he means a speed faster than a human could register. I.E. under 2 seconds.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Indeed even a vanilla install of phpbb3 Now includes enough features to detect non human actions and auto ban. It's about time we can concentrate on the site content not theextra work of bot actions. You can view all the tools at phpbb.org. The visual recapchca is amazing. There is a 100% ratio of stopping bots with it, a human must enter In the codes to register!
Valthero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Valthero »

Man. That's an awesome amount of anti-bot protection. Some other forums I go to could use it, they have spambots almost daily, it seems :P
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

guru wrote:Indeed even a vanilla install of phpbb3 Now includes enough features to detect non human actions and auto ban. It's about time we can concentrate on the site content not theextra work of bot actions. You can view all the tools at phpbb.org. The visual recapchca is amazing. There is a 100% ratio of stopping bots with it, a human must enter In the codes to register!
lol

The reson why im asking about the user - I will be building a forum software with php, and i am tring to find ways to stop bots. One of the worst stress-building prosess when creating forums.
Ant
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: The Clone Wars Mod
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront Series

Post by Ant »

guru wrote:i have implimented a spam killer and its now working 100%, users that register to fast are auto banned, users who try to post have to have their 1st 5 posts approved by admins/mods before they appear, new users have to do a small visual test to register to verify they are human not spam, there are some other protections in place , together spammers have been 101% stopped. The cool thing is even if someone gets passed all this, I have put in 1 click banning to block their isp forever , if you see someone go bye bye its probably the server tossing them.
How have you activated a spam killer? I have my own forum and get weekly attacks from a enemy forum.