What tools?

Leave us posts on anything related to your views on gametoast.com, improvements, gripes, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Blackcurrent

What tools?

Post by Blackcurrent »

I had a topic about this before, but i can't find it. I have some more questions for the ppl who made this site:

What tools did you use to make the site?

Who is hosting your .com domain?
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

RE: What tools?

Post by guru »

I host my own sites, I've own a hosting company for over 6 years, I own and maintain many sites. Gametoast at one time was a small news website for all pc games that had failed so I got the domain from the previos owner and have turned gametoast since , into a star wars modding meca! The site is using postnuke (a postnuke.com product) and rin on linux (which we will never have dedicated swbf server becaause we dont run windows).

That covers most of it ;)
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

And what are the prices to get a domain hosted?
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

domains are $15 or less. Hosting is usually about 15$ a month for basic stuff. A site like this with 8 million hits a month runs about $210 a month to run and maintain.

domains = directnic.com
hosting = check google.
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

thanks
dipstick555

Post by dipstick555 »

waht are some of you other sites, guru?
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Leviathan »

"Professional secrecy", I guess... :wink:
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

Are you possibly responsible for http://www.pixelpwnage.com/ too? Cause it looks like a copy of GT.
Qdin
Old School Staff

Post by Qdin »

rofl - cool site :P

I agree, it does look like GT - but on the other hand, GT is just set up with all of the options moved :wink: they probably used the same 'standard scripts' - if there is anyone :roll: - and then moved them.

I say this, because all Websites more or less have a lot on commin with the forums, buttons and user-thingies. :)

- Qdin
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

well, overall it looks like a copy of GT, but with different colors and so. And it has the comic that the page is based on.
geoman777

Post by geoman777 »

who cares if it is or if it isnt, that isnt even a SWBF modding site like this one
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

nope, but otherwise they are kinda similar. Perhaps you should sue him Guru :P
Dvondrake

Post by Dvondrake »

Guru, you can run swbf servers on linux! Just use wine (http://www.winehq.com). I use wine for a few game servers, myself on Redhat 9. :)
I don't think PixelPwnage looks too similar to GameToast, even the purpose of the site is quite different.. :-\ Only my opinion.
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

Yes, the purpose is different, but i find that the feel of that page is kind of the same. Although they have far less members and are less established, but still, something tells me that they are going to start to look more and more like GT. Afterall, they just launched a new site, it was part of Sonic Army before, and the page looked realy different back then.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

However, maybe GameToast and PixelPwnage do not have any link between them ? They must probably use a sort of common web-site's "template"... (But an administrator's advice would be welcome, I think...)
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

Yeah, that's the possibility i thought of: They are made with the same tools, and are just the standard. But i would like to hear what Guru says about this.