How did we chose our moderators?

Leave us posts on anything related to your views on gametoast.com, improvements, gripes, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

How did we chose our moderators?

Post by yuke5 »

This is a bit of a silly question, but it's been nagging me for a while. How were our mods selected? Do our admins do it? I'm not aspiring to be a mod, or have any problems with any mods; I'm just curious. Thank you.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: How did we chose our moderators?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Moderators are selected for abiding the rules, contributing to the community, and showing a general sense of intelligence(Good grammar, ability to explain how to solve problems, etc). Moderators are chosen by the Admins.

At least this is what I was told, I may be wrong.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

If you want to be chosen on this site, there are a couple things that users do that will ensure that they're never moderators:

-Get more than one warning. While this isn't an absolute, it certainly doesn't help.

-Asking for mod position. This will always be answered with "Ha ha...no."

-Acting like you are already a moderator. This does not show us that you are ready, this shows us you are extremely arrogant and that you believe you are better than the rest of the members.

-Constantly breaking the rules but having the audacity to say you didn't. This can be shown as "If this wasn't covered by the rules, I'd definitely say [broken rule]," or "There's free speech in this country." The second one gets to me the most because the internet is not America and is not even a county.

-Popularity. I don't care who you are or who likes your 999th Legion mod on Geonosis, that doesn't get you on the staff.

But if you continue to do any of the following for a while, you will be considered:

-Minimal spam. If you can resist the urge to post a joke or insult on joeSchmo's "Geonosis: Valley of the Blue Fog" and instead post actual constructive criticisms, we notice that and take it into account.

-Attempting to help as many members as possible with their work. This is how I got in, I helped beta test pretty much everything back in the day of 2006 and was rewarded for it. Help with modding questions, help with beta tests (by actually testing, not just playing early), or even help with community servers.

-Generally being nice. I really don't care what you people do to each other outside of this site, but if you can just hold back and not call AdmiralHonda a scruffy-looking nerf-herder for like, five minutes, it would be appreciated.

-Be active. We're not going to pick a guy who is never here, we already have enough of those people on the staff anyway. :P

Do that and we'll consider you when we need more help. Even though I feel it is time to pick some more moderators (I've already picked my candidates before this moment, don't bother sucking up :P), the rest of the staff feels that our current crew can handle things for now. In the future though, who knows.

Edit: Bolded non-list text to make it easier to read.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

[false but funny way]I threw a bunch of names on pieces of paper at random and whichever few my cat "chai" walked to and chewed on I set them as moderators the next day. I do that with many decision making situations. [/false but funny way]
keenmike
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Side by side bike with suspension
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1

Post by keenmike »

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch the moderator by the toe.
If it hollers/screams/wiggles let them go,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
My mother told me to pick the very best one,
And that is Y-O-U
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

keenmike wrote:Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch the moderator by the toe.
If it hollers/screams/wiggles let them go,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
My mother told me to pick the very best one,
And that is Y-O-U
Ooooh, I like this idea. I'll have to do this next time. :runaway:
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

Like I said, I was not at all interested in being a moderator. I was just curious as to how gametoast works, I'm pretty new to the site. I'm sorry if I seemed arrogant, I'm just curious.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I was using "you" in the formal sense. You haven't done anything yet.