Gametoast Hosted Mods

Leave us posts on anything related to your views on gametoast.com, improvements, gripes, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Gametoast Hosted Mods

Post by Cleb »

Hello today I went to go look in the Gametoast Hosted Mods section and noticed that a lot of forums are gone (like DMI, Dark Space, Battlefront 0, etc.). Is there any reason why they aren't there? :? If its going to take them away from that forum forever could it at least be like the 607th mod, not visible but still accessible?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Gametoast Hosted Mods

Post by Marth8880 »

Oh wow, huh, yeah, that's weird. :o
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

It looks like someone brought them back. I can see all of the forums you mentioned at the bottom of the page (don't bother looking, you can't).
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Cleb wrote:Hello today I went to go look in the Gametoast Hosted Mods section and noticed that a lot of forums are gone (like DMI, Dark Space, Battlefront 0, etc.). Is there any reason why they aren't there? :? If its going to take them away from that forum forever could it at least be like the 607th mod, not visible but still accessible?
I archived them and now only staff can see them. Any hosted mods with no posts in over a year were archived. If there are assets offered there that we need to link elsewhere let me know, but those were all dead, so I pulled em.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Cleb »

Teancum wrote:
Cleb wrote:Hello today I went to go look in the Gametoast Hosted Mods section and noticed that a lot of forums are gone (like DMI, Dark Space, Battlefront 0, etc.). Is there any reason why they aren't there? :? If its going to take them away from that forum forever could it at least be like the 607th mod, not visible but still accessible?
I archived them and now only staff can see them. Any hosted mods with no posts in over a year were archived. If there are assets offered there that we need to link elsewhere let me know, but those were all dead, so I pulled em.
Awww... I liked looking at those. :( Oh well. :cry:
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

The site no longer has limits or time related server constraints but I'm assuming moderators just close anything that seems unvisited or posted in. I've thought about turning off the auto prune thing too just so the same topics don't reappear year after year etc if there is something people want live let us know
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

It seems like a shame that we couldn't keep them visible to everyone. They're a mark of modding accomplishments and loyalty to Gametoast in my opinion.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

If it's that big of a deal for folks we can put them back, but frankly they weren't being used. But are we sure this isn't just a "I miss it now that it's gone" thing?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

May I suggest that the GT clan forum similarly be archived? And this Feedback forum be moved to the bottom of the Miscellaneous category?
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

Toss mine craft stuff or anyone like that area?
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Cleb »

Teancum wrote:are we sure this isn't just a "I miss it now that it's gone" thing?
I look at them frequently. :wink:
guru wrote:Toss mine craft stuff or anyone like that area?
I would personally say no, because there are active thread(s) there, after I post this I'm going to look at a new post there. :o
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

I actually agree with guru on this one, and the Minecraft boards are my most active ones. We had our fun with it, but now that the excitement is all said and done, Minecraft stuff could easily go into the Other Games again.

Just thinking here, but since the GT clan isn't a thing, there could be a NEW forum in the Other Games section called "GT Servers" or something for places like Noobcraft or planning game nights for GT members. Replace 3 forums with one.
Last edited by Twilight_Warrior on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

What I don't understand is why any changes needed to be made at all. I'm not arguing per se, I just don't know the reasons. Or understand them at least.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Why did we condense the SWBF1 forums into one?
Why did was the Star Wars General Discussion board split off from the Off-Topic section?
Why create an Xbox LIVE thread?

Convenience.
Why is there a problem with removing fluff but not adding it?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Wait what, huh? I don't know what you're talking about. I meant removing the Gametoast hosted mods from public view, I wasn't talking about adding new forums.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

I know you are. You're asking "why do it?" I'm saying "because it looks nicer this way." Removing the things that are unnecessary cleans up the boards and makes them just that much easier to navigate.

Your specific question was "why do we need to change anything?"
The adding forums was used as an example of times we changed something and no one complained about it.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Alright, I get that. Now there's this. How much inconvenience did those forums cause? A couple more flicks of the middle wheel to scroll past at worst? To me it didn't make it any "cleaner" to remove those forums either, it just made it emptier.

I visited the DMI forum quite often actually.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

It's too bad we can't find more popular games to add that forums would be used for
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

I too visited those old mod threads. It's like visiting a ruined temple from ancient times, it doesn't have any practical uses anymore but it is still fun to look at and they show some of the better accomplishments of this community and like WULF said, it doesn't hurt at all to have them.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

g, Tean, why don't we just move the "Archive for Disciplinary Action" (and some of the other non-forums) to its own category and just unhide the Forum Archive for users? It stays at the bottom of the forum, out of the way, and it's still open for people to look at. Your thoughts appreciated. It might also give people some insights into how large mods get put together and how they fail/succeed.