New Part to the Rules?

Leave us posts on anything related to your views on gametoast.com, improvements, gripes, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

New Part to the Rules?

Post by Noobasaurus »

I was just looking at the rules and I saw this:
And under no circumstances will you EVER PM a member with a requests to make something for you. That's what the request thread is for. Doing so is punishable by a 30 day ban, no questions asked.
I didn't see that the first five times I read the rules, so I'm assuming it's new. However, I find that this statement is misleading because when you use the request thread, a member will often reply to you via PM or keep in touch via PM. They may even ask you to PM them. Kind of goes like this:

Request Thread:(A) Hey guys, I need a cool model.
Request Thread:(B) Ok, I'm on it.
Then A PMs B so that they can privately talk about the cool model.

I understand that the statement does not necessarily apply to this situation, but I think it is misleading when it says that "under no circumstances" will you PM another member to make something for you. I simply think that it would be better worded perhaps "with another member's permission."

Rant for the day.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: New Part to the Rules?

Post by Maveritchell »

That's been around for a while, as far as I can remember. The only reason that rule exists is so that anyone who gets PMed when they don't want to be have recourse. That's a rule that's only upheld as far as any of the parties involve care - which is often "not very much" - but it's important to give an "out" to anyone who doesn't want to be solicited.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

It's "new" as in "been there for a year."
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

If I remember correctly, it was mostly added because every person who ever had an idea for a realistic unit for Battlefront 2 would PM Majin Revan to try to get it into his mods (and probably me because I used to try to get people to do things for me in obnoxious ways :P).

As Mav said, this is really just a way to stop complete jerks from harassing you. It also allows us to get rid of them without them hiding behind it not being in the rules, therefore making them the victim by ignorance.