¤ Gametoast User mix-up ¤

Leave us posts on anything related to your views on gametoast.com, improvements, gripes, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

pinioncorp

¤ Gametoast User mix-up ¤

Post by pinioncorp »

When I started here, a couple of times when I posted on the forums, it would come up as done by a different user. On further inspection, I realised that I was actually logged-in as this other user. I logged out and back in again after I had deleted my post.

That was a while back now, and I had forgotten about it.

But this time I'm on the recieving end: The user "CCC-Ranger" has posted as me. Twice (at least), without noticing, on this thread. How is this problem occuring? Am I the only one that has run into this?

Jedi Admin

RE: ¤ Gametoast User mix-up ¤

Post by Penguin »

this might be apart of it? it says you have 70 posts, but when i look at all your posts it says it only finds 68?
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by yankeefan05 »

Well it could just be a bug unless it was hacked but i strongly doubt that any1 here would hack into some1 elses username and y pinioncorp?
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

Interesting point, Penguin, however it has still put in the ones I didn't write, so there must have been a couple of posts which have since been deleted. MonCal, its definitely not a hack, as I was in this position once before myself. However, I actually noticed the problem. But for a bug, its a strange one. It must be a problem with the database indexing, which is intriguing.

Edit:

Wha? I've just found another one! And it was ages ago, here. The post directly after that one is about the same thing...

Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

Hmm. Well this has seemed to been happening b4. Seems like a problem on the server once and a while because a Guest cant post. People registered on GT post and their name is guest. Seems like a bug or a server problem. No hack definitely.
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

People who post as guest have had their account deleted. Their username and information are deleted with it, therefore the previous posts by that user are set to "guest".

Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

o sry. I get it know. I thought that was a bug. I guess the logical answer is that it was just an error or a bug.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, pinioncorp, I am not sure that talking of such an Error related to the phpBB Message-Board running on GameToast publicly was the best means to obtain answers to all the questions you would wish to submit to this web-site's Staff, as I guess External persons might be willing to exploit the "Leaks" you have talked of - And especially pointed to - in your previous messages...
However, now you have mentioned this problem, I think that I can safely tell you that it has been already reported to us in a near past, and at the moment you are reading this message, I guess that guru must have begun to figure out what the origin of this Technical Issue might be...
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

Lev, I'm not sure if it is a problem with phpBB, as hundreds of forums run on it, I've never come across it before. Mind you, I do not know how Gametoast has the forum set up (nor do I care, really, as long as it works). Its good to see that Guru is looking into it, because I don't want my record tarnished by pinioncorp imposters...

P.S. Leviathan, how was that off-topic?
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

Most of what Lev' says is "Off-Topic:". I dont know y everything because some of the posts he types r on-topic.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

As I have previously precised to guru, the time required to make sure such Technical Issues have been definitively worked out might be rather high, as the Amount of Accounts set on GameToast's phpBB Bulletin-Board could meet the one of possible "Backdoors" which might be exploited by "Third-party" Sources.
In fact, as you should guess, fixing all these Errors might even be simply impossible, but I imagine that our great "Jawa Administrator" will provide as many efforts as possible so as to ensure the Integrity of these Forums...

PS : The fact I often exploit the "Off-topic" phpBB Tag must have been caused by the Amount of "un-wanted" messages I may have replied to in the past, and also to make sure the content of my own ones could be noticed by most of the GameToast members watching specific threads...
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

Weel i always read an admin's or mod's post. Actually i always read posts. unless it is crazy.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : In that case, simply say that the use of these phpBB Tags might be considered as an additional insurance, intended to make sure messages inserted by "High-rank" members are indeed noticed and completely read by users around the threads they posted them in...
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

I was about to log in earlier, and I noticed that I was somehow logged in as pinioncorp. So yes, this isn't just an isolated incident. I'm curious if it might have to deal with how the server handles cookies? I'm using Opera and Win XP if that helps any.
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Sorry to double post, but yeah. This is really annoying.

Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I'm sure Guru's checking it out. In the meantime, just make sure you're logged in under your own name.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, I have recently learnt that our dear guru had already begun to look for the possible origins and solutions to the problem a certain number of GameToast members are currently facing on these Forums, which means it might be worked out soon, as our great "Jawa Administrator" is the only member knowing sufficiently this web-site to be able to find a way to prevent such "Leaks" from appearing again...
Moreover, Jazon, be sure that the Opera Web Browser is completely unable to lead to such consequences, no matter whether it owns specific features intended to make Internet Navigation even easier...
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I found 2 resolutions to this concern.

The cause is during some recent crashes and reboots of the server some areas of MYsql had connection failures and "issues", the exact cause is related to people logging in the moment mysql died, it logged them in then when it came back on someone else logging in was setup as the user who had logged in possibly hours before. Its a Mysql timeout/server crash related bug that has been fixed(unless the server dies repeatedly for several times in an minute).

Tte best thing to be sure there is no issue, change your login password. Its just those unlucky few who were logged in/logging in during the crashes that have username mixup issues. For the most part the traffic and server issues have been resolved. Sadly during the crashes our dungeon siege 2 area was lost (corrupted database). THere is a backup however we will use the space for the new Star wars Galaxies area.

This bug is sqwashed!<
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

Thats great Guru. Nice to see you found the problem. It looks like that during a crash, the MySQL database was commiting changes when it was restarted, rather than rolling back on the current status. I'd hate to see a bank do this, thats for sure. Good to see you got it sorted out.

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : If you do not mind this "pessimistic" point of view, pinioncorp, I prefer going on considering that the MySQL©-related Technical Issues guru have succeeded in working out might appear again in the future, and that's why I would like any GameToast member having faced troubles similar to yours not to hesitate reporting them inside this thread, since "we are never too careful"...

Thanks in advance !...