zerted.getmyip.com permanently offline -> zerted.the.cat

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

zerted.getmyip.com permanently offline -> zerted.the.cat

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

This is more of a withdrawing assets post...

A few months ago DynamicDNS shutdown it's free hostname service; the service providing my zerted.getmyip.com site name. There are other free DNS providers, so I plan to change addresses instead of paying. However I'm finishing up my last internship and then will be spending 100% of my time rushing to finish my Masters thesis (a RTS AI for Bos Wars) by December., so it's unlikely I'll setup a new site until early 2015. Assuming all goes well, I'll have a stable full-time job afterwards and will no longer be moving three times a year. Then my site will become stable once again.

That said, if you want anything from the old site, feel free to email me and I'll try to host the file somewhere. A text copy of my SWBF2 Projects page:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[code]Project Pages
Updates
Game Modding
SWBF2
SWBF1
Projects
RapDev
Projects Committee
RIT Course Work
Resume (Outdated)
About
Doug
Zerted
Links

SWBF2

This page contains information on most of my SWBF2 mods, tools, and tutorials. All my resources are not on this page yet. A three year old version of the 'Simple Modding Resources' site can still be found at http://www.se.rit.edu/~dpk3062/swbf2/
Mods

Unofficial v1.3 Patch (r129)
Old, Recovered Scripts (pre-r117)
r129 Source Map (r129)
This is an unofficial patch to the game. It adds support for custom game modes, eras, server side mods, and Galactic Conquest campaigns. Server side mods allow one to host a modded server without requiring any connecting clients to download the same mod. Server side mods are more limited than standard mods. The patch also includes the FakeConsole, which functions similar to a cheat menu. Players can use it to make people fly or mess around with the game. Many other SWBF2 maps and mods require this unofficial patch to function correctly.

Multi-team Support
Demo Map (r13)
Source Map (r13)
This demos support for MP supported, 2+ team selection. Normally, there are only two human selectable teams. This script is a complete hack to support more.

SaveAndLoadUtils (r13)
This script provides the ability for a map to save and/or load data from a file. It is a hackish interface to how SWBF2 saves the player's Galactic Conquest states.

Teleportor Script
This is an API to provide easier teleportation. Instead of remembering what things can be teleported and which need to be converted into something else, just use this script.

Tools

Example Finder
Runnable Jar (10-18-2008)
Source Code (Eclipse Project Archive) (10-18-2008)
This provides a faster way of searching through the mod tool's assests for a specified regular expression.

Load Screen Utility
Runnable Jar (Jan 25th 2008)
Readme (Jan 25th 2008)
Source Code (Jan 25th 2008)
In theory, this provides an easy way to add a load screen to a map. In practice, it contains one bug which shows up if you later want to change the original image. The tool does work, just make sure to delete the intermediary files between each use. Actually, I fixed the bug in some version of the code. I should really check to see if this is the fixed version or not... If you don't want to use the tool, there is a video tutorial showing how to make load screens for a mod map.

Map Manager (all)
When the mod tools were first released, we had a list going of all the map ids so they wouldn't overlap. In theory, this tool allowed one to download new maps, see its details, and choose which ones would load with SWBF2. In practice, the Map Manager only moves maps back and forth from the addon folder to a backup folder. This was the first large, GUI program I had attempted and I was working on this during my software design classes. As I kept learning about software engineering, I kept scraping the code and starting over. As anyone in software engineering should know, I ended up making no progress. I stopped development on this as I wanted to move onto better projects and we figured out how to make maps without being limited to the 3-char codes. The download contains a bunch of different versions of the tool. The last version was PreBeta.

Batch Server Created (1)
This was my first SWBF2 mod and first pubically published program. It allowed one to easily generate batch files to run SWBF2 Beta servers. I rushed its development in an attempt to beat the rumored release of SWBF2's server manager. As such, there are some minor typos in the data files. Under the hood, this application is a GUI generator based off the data files.

Game Modes

King of the Hill
Demo Map (9-22-2006)
Mission Script (9-22-2006)
Game Mode Script (9-19-2008)
Capture the hill to gain points. Hills are really CPs. Only one hill is active at a time.

Deathmatch
Demo Map DMDv1 (9-21-2006)
Mission Script DMDv1 (9-21-2006)
Game Mode Script DMDv1 (9-28-2006)
Demo Map DMDv2 (2-17-2008)
Source Scripts DMDv2 (2-17-2008)
This is a hackish attempt at true Deathmatch. Its supprising that SWBF2 doesn't support non-team based deathmatch. There are a couple different version of Deathmatch. Each attempts to handle the mode in a different way. I don't like how they turned out. I could do better...

Holocron
Demo Map (8-27-2006)
Demo Map Readme (8-27-2006)
Mission Script (9-17-2006)
Game Mode Script (9-22-2006)
Similar to capture the flag, but one goes after a Holocron and has to hold it for a certain amount of time. The player holding the Holocron gains a shield, health regeneration, and other bonuses.

Race
Game Mode Script 1 (9-28-2006)
Game Mode Script 2 (9-29-2006)
Game Mode Notes (9-30-2006)
This mode was never finished due to issues surrounding manually spawning vehicles. There were many different ideas on what Race would be before it was scrapped. It might come back, but not as complex as it once was.

Wave
Map Source (r15)
One month I noticed a bunch of people being obsessed with wave modes, so I wrote one. During testing, I noticed that mine was more complex to setup than I wanted it to be and scrapped the mode. In general it works, but I didn't finish testing or documentation, so it might still have some bugs left in it. My Wave mode is much more complex than the others. Modders can configure many things for each mod. A few features are changing spawnable units, team alliances, and units counts between each wave. For those that don't know, Wave mode is generally where enemy units attack the players in waves. This script is better used as a reference to how to do some things compared to being a general Wave mode.

Maps

Elevator Example
Demo Map
Demo Map Readme (3-09-2006)
This was one of my first SWBF2 mods. Some people thought that an elevator would be almost impossible to make, so I made a few. It turns out elevators can only move slowly in SWBF2. If one goes too fast, the player falls through the floor. It is preferred to teleport instead of using an elevator.

RTS (r21)
This is an unfinished attempt to make a real-time strategy mode. Think of it as a poor version of Age of Empires. The player tells the AI bots what to build and what to do. Its unfinished since I've been busy with school, not because it can't be done. In fact, the hardest part of managing the AI goals has already been completed and seems to work well. If I can find the time, I want to finish this.

The Last Planets (11-10-2008)
This was the first SWBF2 Galactic Conquest mod. It was thrown together in one night to see if such mods were possible. The containing shell.lvl replaces the game's shell.lvl.

Tutorials and Documents

How to create load screens
Video Tutorial
The steps in the video
This shows how to create a load screen for a mod map.

Complete Lua Raw Data
This is every line of Lua code that came with the mod tools. I put it all into one document for easier searching and exploration. A few of the lines are from my scripts, but not many.

ModTool Docs
This is the documentation that came with the mod tools. It is much easier to download this than redownload and reinstall the mod tools.

My Random Notes
Here are some of my random modding notes. They are mostly unformatted and are from before I started working on the unofficial v1.3 patch. At one point, I was planning on making a Game Mode Installer.

Munging a custom LVL File
This tutorial shows modders how to create a new lvl file.

SS Zipped
All the SS documents zipped for easier downloading. Actually, the guy asked me not to post one of the things a few years ago, so you'll have to get everything from the source by yourself :P

v1.3 Patch Tutorials and Documents

SWBF2 v1.3 Full API
This is my short attempt at documentating all of SWBF2's functions. The list includes ALL of ingame's global functions, but only has documentation for a small fraction of them. This is the only known complete function list and includes most of v1.3's functions too. The other lists posted else where on the web are missing things. I had planned on creating an XSLT to convert this document into a more readable XHTML file.

Lua globals at GameInterface startup

Lua globals at Ingame

Cheat codes
Documentation of all know cheat codes (not all are known, but we know how many we don't know)

Adding an Era
A tutorial on how to add a custom era to a map

Adding a Preview Video
A tutorial on how to add a preview video to a map. The preivew video shows up in the map selection screens when the player clicks on the map.

Adding custom Map Colors
A tutorial on changing a mod map's color in the map selection screens.

Adding a custom Galactic Conquest
A tutorial on creating a custom Galactic Conquest campaign.

Changing an Era's and Game Mode's Name
A tutorial on creating new eras and game modes for a map.

Making custom User Scripts
A tutorial on creating a custom user scripts. These scripts allow one to inject code into the game at the start of each map. This is useful for the servers which want to prevent vehicle usage or is a fun way to spawn random players as local units.

Using Ingame Player Data
A tutorial on how to get and use player data. Player data includes each player's ingame name. This inforamtion is not normally accessable, but the v1.3 patch found a hackish way to get it.

Media

Pictures
Random SWBF2 related pictures

Videos
These are my 'Unit Moves' videos. They show how to get to almost impossible places in SWBF2. If you can master them, you can escape many of the common instances were one team traps another in a seemingly unescaple courner of the map. Some are very hard to do, while some are extremely easy. None of these are hacks or cheats. With my permission, another player uploaded these videos to YouTube.

Future Ideas

Custom Mode Settings
Since we can now save things between shell and ingame states, it is possible to create more game mode setting screens and have different settings for each different mode. It was possible to do this before, but it was a very nasty hack. Now, it no longer needs to be a hack.

Mirrors

All Mirrors
These are all the SWBF2 related files I'm mirroring for others.

Content last updated on October 23rd, 2010[/code]
Oddly my super outdated, older site is still available here: http://www.se.rit.edu/~dpk3062/swbf2/ That SE account has been deleted, so I can't edit the site. I don't have a clue why it's still online...

My super duper old SWBF1 site is living peacefully: http://www.cs.rit.edu/~dpk3062/ I can still edit that site, but my CS account is so full (and tiny) that I have to delete something anytime I want to save a new file.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: zerted.getmyip.com permanently offline

Post by Noobasaurus »

Just a little note: All of the sections of your super old site give me an access denied error (no permission). The download links also don't work due to space concerns. The only links that work are the four at the bottom.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: zerted.getmyip.com permanently offline

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

My new site address is: http://zerted.the.cat provided by http://freedns.afraid.org/ However I'm moving in a week...

@Noobasaurus: Thanks for the info
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: zerted.getmyip.com permanently offline -> zerted.the.cat

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

So much for a stable site. My main laptop died due to an hardware issue so now I'm using the web server as my main laptop. Thus it's offline again until I can get a new motherboard for my T61 (there's no way I'm giving up that QXGA screen :bowdown: )

At least I didn't lose any data this time. :cpu: