Mesh Viewer V1.2.4

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: Mesh Viewer V1.0.1

Post by Anakin »

What do you mean by the same problem?? there have been so much problems :D

Did you download the latest (1.0.1) version??
CT108
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: -Secret-
Games I'm Playing :: SBF2 - Empire at War
xbox live or psn: Captain CT108

Post by CT108 »

Anakin wrote:What do you mean by the same problem?? there have been so much problems :D
Sorry, I need to be more precise ^^
This is this problem : "This application failed to start beacause it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "".
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

Anakin wrote:Did you download the latest (1.0.1) version??
There's a v1.0.1 ?? I found only the links of the VS runtime components and of the qwindows.dll .
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Yeah I found out, that the qwindws.dll needs to be in a subfolder called platforms. Then someone else had problem with Windows XP, so I compiled it to be compatible with Win XP and included the qwindows.dll fix. So just redownload from the first page
CT108
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: -Secret-
Games I'm Playing :: SBF2 - Empire at War
xbox live or psn: Captain CT108

Post by CT108 »

Anakin wrote:Yeah I found out, that the qwindws.dll needs to be in a subfolder called platforms. Then someone else had problem with Windows XP, so I compiled it to be compatible with Win XP and included the qwindows.dll fix. So just redownload from the first page
I downloaded the mesh viewer with the link of the first page and it works !! :D Thank you !!!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Excellent work so far! :thumbs:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Features I'd personally like to see:
  • Ability to adjust camera zoom increment value, meaning you can control how much the camera zooms each time the mouse wheel is scrolled
  • UE4-style camera controls, where Alt+LMB orbits, Alt+MMB pans, Alt+RMB zooms
  • UE4-style "flythrough" camera, where you use WASD while (optionally) holding RMB to fly around the scene, kind of like in ZE
  • Ability to resize the File Info window
  • Ability to display the mesh's material count, vertex count, and triangle count in the upper-left corner of the mesh display viewport (like in XSI)
  • Main window isn't disabled while File Info window is open, meaning you can interact with the main window while the File Info window is open (you'd probably want to set the File Info window to always be on top)
  • Material names are displayed in list of materials in File Info window
  • Mesh rendered in the viewer has lighting ;)
  • When that^ is implemented, it'd be nice to be able to adjust the lighting's color and intensity
  • Materials with transparency are rendered as such
  • Ability to render the mesh in wireframe mode
  • Viewer can render vertex colors as they'll appear in-game
  • Proper, fully-featured material property window where you can view all of a material's properties including: Texture0/Texture1/Texture2/Texture3 slot values, diffuse/ambient/specular color values, specular decay value, material flags, render type, and Data0/Data1 values - basically something very similar to this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

It doesn`t work. I downloaded this
yeah i changed the library. Please try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr7sc15tqd8fd ... s.dll?dl=0
And replaced the existing one but it still doesn`t work. What am I supposed to do?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Marth8880 wrote:
Features I'd personally like to see:
  • Ability to adjust camera zoom increment value, meaning you can control how much the camera zooms each time the mouse wheel is scrolled
    already had this in the old viewer. Gonna add this here, too.
  • UE4-style camera controls, where Alt+LMB orbits, Alt+MMB pans, Alt+RMB zooms
    i'm fine with the control. And it is not that easy to have multiple moving options.
  • UE4-style "flythrough" camera, where you use WASD while (optionally) holding RMB to fly around the scene, kind of like in ZE
    ok, maybe later. Much later
  • Ability to resize the File Info window
    it should grow with longer names. Don't know why it does not work. Gonna fix that
  • Ability to display the mesh's material count, vertex count, and triangle count in the upper-left corner of the mesh display viewport (like in XSI)
    shouldn't be that difficult
  • Main window isn't disabled while File Info window is open, meaning you can interact with the main window while the File Info window is open (you'd
    probably want to set the File Info window to always be on top)
    gonna fix that, too.
  • Material names are displayed in list of materials in File Info window
    why do you need them??
  • Mesh rendered in the viewer has lighting ;)
  • When that^ is implemented, it'd be nice to be able to adjust the lighting's color and intensity
    do you want a file viewer, or a gameengine??
  • Materials with transparency are rendered as such
    if you know how to compile, get the latest source, it should already work :D
  • Ability to render the mesh in wireframe mode
    Why?? I'm afraid that you want in the next step edit and saving the mesh :runaway:
  • Viewer can render vertex colors as they'll appear in-game
    what do you mean?? I don't know how zero handles all the render flags. So it will never be exactly like ingame. For example single sided transparency, emissive, glow,.. do you know how **** complicate that is??
  • Proper, fully-featured material property window where you can view all of a material's properties including: Texture0/Texture1/Texture2/Texture3 slot values, diffuse/ambient/specular color values, specular decay value, material flags, render type, and Data0/Data1 values - basically something very similar to this:
    you'll may get the texture slots, the render flags and render types and data values. But not more.
@SkinnyODST: you replaced what? Please download version 1.0.1 from the first post. It should work directly without any fixes. If it does not, let me know the error message and your system components, OS,...
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

@SkinnyODST: you replaced what? Please download version 1.0.1 from the first post. It should work directly without any fixes. If it does not, let me know the error message and your system components, OS,...
After downloading it again and not tampering with it at all, it says "The program can`t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"
And computer components? What`s that? :cpu:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Anakin wrote:UE4-style camera controls, where Alt+LMB orbits, Alt+MMB pans, Alt+RMB zooms
i'm fine with the control. And it is not that easy to have multiple moving options.
It's not even really "UE4-style", but rather the style of what almost everyone in the 3D industry is used to. Just because *you* think they're fine doesn't make them intuitive.
Anakin wrote:UE4-style "flythrough" camera, where you use WASD while (optionally) holding RMB to fly around the scene, kind of like in ZE
I mean, I guess it depends on how the camera currently works. I assume that currently, there isn't any sort of camera "object" that orbits around the scene, but rather the mesh file simply rotates around and the camera stays put.
Anakin wrote:Material names are displayed in list of materials in File Info window
why do you need them??
Because it's useful information, especially when you're viewing meshes that have many materials that use the same texture.
Anakin wrote:Mesh rendered in the viewer has lighting ;)
Currently, meshes rendered in your viewer are rendered with completely flat lighting. This makes it extremely difficult to properly see the mesh's details.
Anakin wrote:When that^ is implemented, it'd be nice to be able to adjust the lighting's color and intensity
do you want a file viewer, or a gameengine??
Okay lol I'll admit that one is a bit unnecessary.
Anakin wrote:Ability to render the mesh in wireframe mode
Why?? I'm afraid that you want in the next step edit and saving the mesh :runaway:
Because it's useful to be able to view a mesh's topography without having to import it into XSI.
Anakin wrote:Viewer can render vertex colors as they'll appear in-game
what do you mean?? I don't know how zero handles all the render flags. So it will never be exactly like ingame. For example single sided transparency, emissive, glow,.. do you know how **** complicate that is??
I don't expect it to be 100% like it does in-game; and I get that it's complicated. However, obviously you were able to figure out how to read a mesh's vertices, polygons, materials, and their textures, so I don't see why you can't use the MSH file structure information provided by ANDE to help you implement the rest. You are the one who decided to start this project, after all.
Anakin wrote:Proper, fully-featured material property window where you can view all of a material's properties including: Texture0/Texture1/Texture2/Texture3 slot values, diffuse/ambient/specular color values, specular decay value, material flags, render type, and Data0/Data1 values - basically something very similar to this:
you'll may get the texture slots, the render flags and render types and data values. But not more.[/list]
If you figure out how to read all of those other material flag values, there's no reason why you can't use that same method to read the material's diffuse/ambient/specular/decay values. I mean hell, ANDE's conveniently documented all of this information, so there's no reason why you can figure out how to read the former but not the latter.

You're the one who started this project, and I assume your goal is to build a better version of SWBF Viewer. Why not go all the way and do just that instead of not implementing certain useful features just because it's hard?

Also, before you get on me for "not just making my own myself", I'm not a programmer, you are. This is your project, not mine. And with that said, obviously you can do what you want with it, but currently SWBF Viewer is much more useful functionality-wise, and I see no reason why you would want to make yours anything but better than it. :) You've done great work so far, but don't let what seems hard prevent you from accomplishing the best.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

SkinnyODST wrote:
After downloading it again and not tampering with it at all, it says "The program can`t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"
And computer components? What`s that? :cpu:
Please get the right Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 for your OS
Marth8880 wrote:
Anakin wrote:UE4-style camera controls, where Alt+LMB orbits, Alt+MMB pans, Alt+RMB zooms
It's not even really "UE4-style", but rather the style of what almost everyone in the 3D industry is used to. Just because *you* think they're fine doesn't make them intuitive.
I just think it is stupid to press ALT when the viewer does not support selection. So i won't need alt. orbits = rotating, pan = moving right? So the only thing you wanna change is zoom and moving and i think nothing is more intuitive than scroll for zooming.
Anakin wrote:UE4-style "flythrough" camera, where you use WASD while (optionally) holding RMB to fly around the scene, kind of like in ZE
I mean, I guess it depends on how the camera currently works. I assume that currently, there isn't any sort of camera "object" that orbits around the scene, but rather the mesh file simply rotates around and the camera stays put.
The camera and objects do nothing. I move and rotate the world. http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginner ... -matrices/

Anakin wrote:Material names are displayed in list of materials in File Info window
why do you need them??
Because it's useful information, especially when you're viewing meshes that have many materials that use the same texture.
ok if you want it...
Anakin wrote:Mesh rendered in the viewer has lighting ;)
Currently, meshes rendered in your viewer are rendered with completely flat lighting. This makes it extremely difficult to properly see the mesh's details.
... was meant in the way "i know you want it, i want it too, but i couldn't get it working. Gonna try it further"
Anakin wrote:Ability to render the mesh in wireframe mode
Because it's useful to be able to view a mesh's topography without having to import it into XSI.
if you want it, shouldn't be that complicate. I just need to reset the init variable (i hope that is possible while runtime...)
Anakin wrote:Viewer can render vertex colors as they'll appear in-game
I don't expect it to be 100% like it does in-game; and I get that it's complicated. However, obviously you were able to figure out how to read a mesh's vertices, polygons, materials, and their textures, so I don't see why you can't use the MSH file structure information provided by ANDE to help you implement the rest. You are the one who decided to start this project, after all.
What do you mean by "the rest"?? Bump, normal, specular are fine for me, once the light is working. Transparency already works. But i won't add things like glow, scrolling, chrome, animated, ice, sky, water,.... It's not the problem to get the information from the file. The hard thing is, i have no idea what kind of effect zero uses to apply ice to the surface.
Anakin wrote:Proper, fully-featured material property window where you can view all of a material's properties including: Texture0/Texture1/Texture2/Texture3 slot values, diffuse/ambient/specular color values, specular decay value, material flags, render type, and Data0/Data1 values - basically something very similar to this:
you'll may get the texture slots, the render flags and render types and data values. But not more.[/list]
If you figure out how to read all of those other material flag values, there's no reason why you can't use that same method to read the material's diffuse/ambient/specular/decay values. I mean hell, ANDE's conveniently documented all of this information, so there's no reason why you can figure out how to read the former but not the latter.
again it's not the problem to get the information or to display them. But with more information the viewer takes longer and longer to load the file. You don't want to wait for a file as long as for BF to load the game. Even now it takes very long to load big files.
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

Please get the right Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 for your OS
I downloaded and installed it, I still get the same popup
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

32 or 64 bit windows??
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

64 bit I think. It doesn`t have a 32 bit, only a 64 and 86
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: Mesh Viewer V1.2.0

Post by Anakin »

all right, please take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R3LuYNQf98

==NEW VERSION==

So i think it's time to share my latest progress with you:
  • Features:
  • screenshot function,
  • transparency support,
  • wireframe paint option,
  • support phong model (ambient, diffuse, specular),
  • specular map support
  • 2 different kinds of light (directional and point),
  • different background colors for light on/off,
  • zoom speed now adjustable via +/- keys,
  • new file info window,
  • more information displayed at the info window,
  • settings window,
  • new GUI,
  • now openGl 2.0 is minimum (before 4.5)
  • some more code changes, bug fixes, performance improvements,
    Bugs:
  • nothing known
you find the download link on the first page
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Excellent work! :thumbs:
Hidden/Spoiler:

Would it be at all possible to have an option for the light to lock with the camera rotation? Kind of like XSI's headlight feature:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Also, would it be possible to have an option to toggle backface culling? I think backface culling was enabled in previous versions of your viewer but it isn't anymore. :(
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Marth8880 wrote:Excellent work! :thumbs:
Hidden/Spoiler:

Would it be at all possible to have an option for the light to lock with the camera rotation? Kind of like XSI's headlight feature:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Gonna have that in mind for the next release.

Also, would it be possible to have an option to toggle backface culling? I think backface culling was enabled in previous versions of your viewer but it isn't anymore. :(
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Yeah I used backface culling before. Removed it when I made the transparent support, since you are now able to look into a mesh (e.g. helmet with transparent visor)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

One last request (for now ;)), it'd be really handy to be able to select and highlight text in the info window.
Hidden/Spoiler:
This would be useful because it'd allow users to highlight texture names, copy them, and paste them into maybe like an REQ file or something.

Anakin wrote:Removed it when I made the transparent support, since you are now able to look into a mesh (e.g. helmet with transparent visor)
Transparency doesn't appear to work btw
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
It's worth noting that the glass material there is using double-sided transparency, though it still doesn't work even if I switch it to single-sided transparency.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

i'll check that. But did you try to make it more transparent (about 50%)??
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

It's at 44%. :n
Hidden/Spoiler:
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: Mesh Viewer V1.2.1

Post by Anakin »

==Update==

You can now access version 1.2.1 via current channel.

More about the update channels on the first page.

Code: Select all

Features:
- Headlight option,
- zoom speed now adjust in settings window, not via +/-,
- cullface can be activated in the settings,
- text in FileInfoWindow can be marked and copied,
- alpha channel now always used,
- fixed compatibility problems,
- code and performance improvements,
Bugs:
- nothing known
What do you think about the update channels?? good idea, bad idea, improvement ideas??