Droideka88's Skin Pack 2.1-2.4 released

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

Droideka88

Droideka88's Skin Pack 2.1-2.4 released

Post by Droideka88 »

Because there's no forum based on released skins, I'll post here.

Well everyone I finally reveal skins I've made for you mappers. I hope everyone uses them well because they only make Battlefront 2 more unique.

So who is going to use them for their future maps?

Download Link: http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=73
Last edited by Droideka88 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel7Hunter

Post by Squirrel7Hunter »

are you talking about the skin pack you have already released?
Droideka88

Post by Droideka88 »

Squirrel7Hunter wrote:are you talking about the skin pack you have already released?
Yeah but they're converted into TGAs just for you Gametoast. Plus I had some time to a make a few more.

Here's the link.

http://www.gametoast.com/modules.php?na ... erby=dateD

I had to make four of them because of Gametoast's limit of only 10mb.
Squirrel7Hunter

Post by Squirrel7Hunter »

couldnt you have just put them all into one zip on filefront?
Droideka88

Post by Droideka88 »

Squirrel7Hunter wrote:couldnt you have just put them all into one zip on filefront?
I could've but there's two problems. Big size file and Gametoast's rules of file size.
RDST

Post by RDST »

You should have just posted it else were in on large zip instead of GT.

However, to be completly honest, I have to say the majority of your skins are either:
1. Simple color changes (like the clones, not bad, but its been done many times with much better quality)

2. Basic, small (like very small) changes. So small they are unnoticable, it took me seveeral minutes to notice anything on several of your super battle driods (infact, there are still several that I can't see any difference form the original)

more or less pointless if you ask me,
-RDST
Droideka88

Post by Droideka88 »

You should have just posted it else were in on large zip instead of GT.
I could've. But I did it specifically for Gametoast because I honestly don't think every member here knows I have a skin pack in Filefront. Plus I'm trying to make this easier for every mapper rather than changing JPEGs files to TGAs And besides, how often does people download skin files over 30mb? Give me one good example.
However, to be completly honest, I have to say the majority of your skins are either:
1. Simple color changes (like the clones, not bad, but its been done many times with much better quality)
You call my skins simple? It took me a several minutes to even select specific parts of some skins like the Ewok. Do you honestly think what I did was easy?

About the file, Size my friend. File size greatly impacts on whether somebody should it or not. It also depends of the product. Look if you don't like the quality, I'll make 100% quality. Just let me know sheesh.
2. Basic, small (like very small) changes. So small they are unnoticable, it took me seveeral minutes to notice anything on several of your super battle driods (infact, there are still several that I can't see any difference form the original)
I disagree with you completely. Even the so-called petit changes can make all the difference in terms of gameplay and maps.
more or less pointless if you ask me,
-RDST
Pointless in what?! Modify these skins in decent quality? You better not tick me off RDST. :evil: Any skin regardless of complexity or simplicity is unique.

Some of my skins ARE based from all 6 movies. Do you recall seeing a Sandtrooper wearing a backpack with a black pauldron?

And I remind you one last time! E-mail me you if you desire 100% quality instead of 75%, 80%, whatever.
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

Well, I haven't seen your skins, and I won't download them since I will never have any use for them (I dont map/mod) But the one's i've seeen from you looked pretty good. Anyways, RDST is just giving you his opinion, if you dont like constructive critisism just say that in your first post. And btw, I think it's clear he wants more "quality." Again, I stand neutral in this as i haven't seen more than two of your skins.
Droideka88

Post by Droideka88 »

JabbaLovesLava wrote:Well, I haven't seen your skins, and I won't download them since I will never have any use for them (I dont map/mod) But the one's i've seeen from you looked pretty good. Anyways, RDST is just giving you his opinion, if you dont like constructive critisism just say that in your first post. And btw, I think it's clear he wants more "quality." Again, I stand neutral in this as i haven't seen more than two of your skins.
In the near future, I'll think about producing more skins that have quality in them regardless of simplicity. Right now, I haven't fully thought what I can do. I'll tell right now, I do have to work on the modification of the Wookiee Bowcasters...

I believe RTSD misses the point of skin making. Look at Battlefront 2. Pandemic only made one type model per character. There's only one model for a Clone Trooper, one model for a Snowtrooper, one model for a Wookiee Warrior, one model for a Gamorreans Guard, one model for a Jawa and so on. The point of my skins is to introduce some variations in specific characters because seeing only one model of a character becomes redudant fast.

And FCOL, I made variations for Jawas, something people Guru would like!

Look! And yes there's always a little more improvement for anything.

RDST

Post by RDST »

And I remind you one last time! E-mail me you if you desire 100% quality instead of 75%, 80%, whatever.
No offense, but I won't be using your or anybody elses skins for projects of mine. I'd just make them myself. Originally all I did was make skins for Battlefront. And, I'm still quiet good at it.
I could've. But I did it specifically for Gametoast because I honestly don't think every member here knows I have a skin pack in Filefront. Plus I'm trying to make this easier for every mapper rather than changing JPEGs files to TGAs And besides, how often does people download skin files over 30mb? Give me one good example.
If the skins are good, then 30mb is a perfectly reasonable size for a pack, its not that big and it is a lot eaiser than downloading 4 or 5 sepperate files.
I disagree with you completely. Even the so-called petit changes can make all the difference in terms of gameplay and maps.
Small changes go un-noticed. As a former skinner myself, I relized that say changing the eyes or minut detail on a character can't be seen in Battlefront.
You call my skins simple? It took me a several minutes to even select specific parts of some skins like the Ewok. Do you honestly think what I did was easy?
What I'm saying is simple when you have three different types of super battle driods with almost no recognizable difference between them
Any skin regardless of complexity or simplicity is unique.
I like that maybe I'll use it in a quote sometime, but ingame I'd like for you to tell the diffrence between some of your skins.

Jabba is right, if you didn't want constructive critism then you should have posted that. However, it provides ideas and hint for improvements.

-RDST
OOM-9

Post by OOM-9 »

Droideka88 wrote: You call my skins simple? It took me a several minutes to even select specific parts of some skins like the Ewok. Do you honestly think what I did was easy?

Yes.

~OOM-9
RDST

Post by RDST »

I believe RDST misses the point of skin making. Look at Battlefront 2. Pandemic only made one type model per character. There's only one model for a Clone Trooper, one model for a Snowtrooper, one model for a Wookiee Warrior, one model for a Gamorreans Guard, one model for a Jawa and so on. The point of my skins is to introduce some variations in specific characters because seeing only one model of a character becomes redudant fast.
I miss the point of making skins? I was using photoshop and skinning before you even came to GT.

There is a diffrence between what you are doing and what Pandemic was doing. Pandemic is just following what they though would make good character design. You... You just spam skins. Ex: You created five variations of a jawa textures :?
Tuskenjedi

Post by Tuskenjedi »

It's getting a little hot in here... :oops:

:!:
SWShellhound

Post by SWShellhound »

Honestly this is rediculios, the guy made some skins which are better then what many people can do, he provided links to these skins and has said that if you have an issue with his skins you could email him. They may be small changes but any changes can make a difference, if you want him to make a change to these sknis ask him on pm or email or whatever instead of spammking the forum with comments just ripping the guys skins.
Droidika good job on making the skins packs, and about the file size, many people do care if its a giant zip, it takes dforever to download, and for skinsalmost nothing but a completely new moddle is worth that, so kif you want it download it fromm the gametoast if not don't bother posting here making fun of his skins, its a waste of everyones time!

- -(DW)-Shellhound
Droideka88

Post by Droideka88 »

If the skins are good, then 30mb is a perfectly reasonable size for a pack, its not that big and it is a lot eaiser than downloading 4 or 5 sepperate files.
For TGAs I suppose. For JPEGs, no.
Pandemic is just following what they though would make good character design. You... You just spam skins. Ex: You created five variations of a jawa textures
First off, there's no such thing as spam skins. Seriously mate don't insult anybody's skins you consider pathetic or you'll be in for it. Look at Commander Fordo. Because of him, I made skins he never even thought of. Much like him or anyone else, he's made simple variations of skins. Did you know Fordo made variations in his Clone Troopers? He used simple color changes just like me you know. :wink: You do consider those skins of his worthless? I await your answer.

And Pandemic make "good" character desgin because theirs models are made in XSI.
No offense, but I won't be using your or anybody elses skins for projects of mine. I'd just make them myself. Originally all I did was make skins for Battlefront. And, I'm still quiet good at it.
Why not? What's wrong with others. They could help specific maps you have in mind.
Small changes go un-noticed. As a former skinner myself, I relized that say changing the eyes or minut detail on a character can't be seen in Battlefront.
That's unbiased completely. You can easily just look close up to the Character or maybe BF1 lacks that? In BF2, I can perfectly see Anakin's eyes and sometimes Dooku's

However, it provides ideas and hint for improvements.
Depends on the person's response.
making fun of his skins, its a waste of everyones time!
Every thread I made here forces me to constantly explain things. :roll:

No more negative comments from anybody please.
^Destroyer^

Post by ^Destroyer^ »

How come, every thread Droideka88 creates turns into a flame war? Actually, i agree with OOM-9.
Your skins are just simple retextures from the normal, not even a bit hard.

^Destroyer^
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

I totally agree with you ^Destroyer^. What do people have againest him? Ok, so he is alittle obessed with Droidekas, but you dont have to flame his topics.
So Droideka. Well done on your skin packs
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

LOL. I have the perfect quote for that ->
Let the haters keep hatin'
;) Anyways, he said that the "case" was close, so i think it shold be over. Now, 'Deka88, would you do me the favor of posting some of your skins here so that I can see them please?
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

Lol Jabba. Lets hope the flame ends. Some of the people flaming haven't released something, so they have no right to flame
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

i have to say that your skins are simple, and that anyone with the gimp, photoshop or paintshop could do them. but they are a start. you should try to create whole new skins, not just recolours and stuff that is so simple. :p