Kyle Katarn - Released!

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

-_-
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

JabbaLovesLava wrote:
Linus wrote:Actually, I think that Paint is best tool for small details and such... :D

- Linus
You're crazy dude, paint sucks.
Agreed. Paint is terrible for skinning.
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

what!?!?! lol
PR-0927
Old School Staff

Post by PR-0927 »

ROFL. I remember when I was a Paint fanboy...I was a heavy user f it when I first started modding for JA.

- Majin Revan
Linus

Post by Linus »

I do not get ya', guys. Have you ever tried Paint?
MicroSoft Paint is a powerful tool, when you get a hang
on it... :|

- Linus
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

i used paint for quite a few years, its way to limited for me
(-MOD-)_Stalin

Post by (-MOD-)_Stalin »

Well, I'm not a modder at all, but speacking from general experience, I 'd have to agree with Linus on this. Paint is a very good tool if you know how to use it. True, there are limitations, but with some skill, it's all you really need.
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

Paint is a fabulous program, more suitable for notes and quick sketches than something more advanced, such as photoshop. For example, a simple line drawing in photoshop is complicated by the layers in creates every time you draw a line (unless you have shift held down) and you can't erase lines easily without rasterising the lines first. However, Paint is not really suitable for skins, because each colour has to be selected manually when you are editing, which really is a pain.

Anyway, I had to do a few adjustments on Kyle anyway, for the reasons posted above. He's still a WIP, and this is my first attempt. Apart from his face, his jacket needs some work, because at the moment it looks like a dressing gown. THe leggings above his boots are are really bad too, I hope I can fix that up. He needs his armour underneath too. And he should have a green lightsaber, but I just haven't found the time to fix these issues at the moment.

Post by Captain_Mazda »

Or I could make Photoshop CS2 magically appear on your computer, Linus ;)
Linus

Post by Linus »

No, I will never ''betray'' Paint. Never. :P

- Linus
Dabrowski

Post by Dabrowski »

Linus wrote:No, I will never ''betray'' Paint. Never. :P

- Linus
lol. If you don't, he'll get mad :emp:

Anyway, I like both your skins, but each need improvement. First of pinioncorp the mustache is way too big, it should get smaller as it gets to the side. Linus , you need to use some more advanced features than Paint (idk what GIMP offers, btw). I have Adobe Photoshop (Elements 2) and I can easily use layers that recolor areas, so you can change cloth color while preserving cloth lines and shadows. You could also use "Sharpen" to the texture below that layer. Therefore Linus, you can have a less blurry version of his clothes. Sharper textures give a better swbfII feel. But your great at what you do Linus, so keep skinning :D