A Few skins...

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

Maximus

A Few skins...

Post by Maximus »

I just made a few skins for fun. They're my first try, so don't expect much.

http://files.filefront.com/SkinPack1zip ... einfo.html

And What They Look Like:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/B ... 006/Skins/

Use them in a map or whatever, I don't care.

OFF_TOPIC:About the mod tools I was creating...well, something happened...I asked my uber-programming uncle, and he just told me that he would try. He did, and he failed miserably. So, the mod tools are now ended. Sorry.
Bac-Talan
Captain
Captain

RE: A Few skins...

Post by Bac-Talan »

Well, they definently aren't bad for a first try. (see mine... ok, don't)
But, to me they look like fairly simple recolores.
What I like:
Unlike some recolorings, you were careful to preserve detail in the uniforms of the... peoples.
What I Find Could Be Improved:
I think that you should challenge yourself, try something fun and cool and then post it even if it doesn't come out like you think it should; you'll get feedback and learn. (Glamor skins topic in SWBF 2 Modding is great for that)
Also, the icon on the mine. What program are you using?
If your using Gimp (or maybe Photoshop too), try adding it as another layer, and then under the layer preferences changeing "normal" to one of the others. Just flip through them. I find that "darken only", "multiply", "grain merge" and ocasionally "burn" work well to make it look like part of the skin. Also, to make the above work better (assumeing you don't want the yellow, which you might) try filling the yellow to white: it will dissapear under some layer options.

To sum it up: play around with whatever program you're using, try something that challenges you, post what you do for feedback and most of all, Learn from what you do.
(oh, and while you're at it, try to have some fun ;))
Maximus

Re: RE: A Few skins...

Post by Maximus »

Bac-Talan wrote:Well, they definently aren't bad for a first try. (see mine... ok, don't)
But, to me they look like fairly simple recolores.
What I like:
Unlike some recolorings, you were careful to preserve detail in the uniforms of the... peoples.
What I Find Could Be Improved:
I think that you should challenge yourself, try something fun and cool and then post it even if it doesn't come out like you think it should; you'll get feedback and learn. (Glamor skins topic in SWBF 2 Modding is great for that)
Also, the icon on the mine. What program are you using?
If your using Gimp (or maybe Photoshop too), try adding it as another layer, and then under the layer preferences changeing "normal" to one of the others. Just flip through them. I find that "darken only", "multiply", "grain merge" and ocasionally "burn" work well to make it look like part of the skin. Also, to make the above work better (assumeing you don't want the yellow, which you might) try filling the yellow to white: it will dissapear under some layer options.

To sum it up: play around with whatever program you're using, try something that challenges you, post what you do for feedback and most of all, Learn from what you do.
(oh, and while you're at it, try to have some fun ;))
Thanks! :D And im using the GIMP. I'm not terribly good at it though...

A few more skins...

http://files.filefront.com/SkinPack2zip ... einfo.html