Left 4 Dead [Spoilers]

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

Left 4 Dead [Spoilers]

Post by VF501 »

So who has played the awesome demo, and who is getting the full version?

The demo is awesome, its always different every time you play, from enemy spawns and amounts and equipment locations. The AI Director they implemented is a great step forward in this kind of shooter. It really punishes people that don't use teamwork. You lag behind the group, you get jumped bad, you go forward as a glory hound, you get jumped bad. Plus watching 30+ zombies pour outta a building is just plain awesome. The Ally AI is good too, even in single player that react reasonably and lack the frustrations of AI seen in Halo and Half Life 2, Only Draw Back is you have to take point because they follow players. This game is fun even when you are getting owned by the zombies.

If you don't meet minimum specs for PC, don't be worried. The actual minimum this will play on is
1.8GHz Pentium 4
256 MB nVidia 6200 (or the ATI equivilent)
1 GB DDR RAM
5400 RPM Hard Disk Drive- Of course you will need enough space for games, but it still runs great on old UATA/EDIE Drives

It will run at 30 FPS easily on the absolute minimum settings (ie lowest detail, bilinear Texture Filtering, 640x280 Resolution) It will be comparable to really old games at those settings but the game play makes up for it. It will drop to 15 FPS during more intense moments though, but not as bad as the Antlion Rush in Half Life 2 Episode 2. Although, upgrading is highly advisable at that point, I'm saving up for my custom build :P.

That said, I am getting the game when it comes out. Its well worth the $50, and so much more can be done, in terms of game types VALVe or Modders can add to it.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Re: Left 4 Dead

Post by Dohnutt »

This game looks amazing :D
NullCommando
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: NullCommando

Post by NullCommando »

I played the wicked awesome Demo, I'm getting this. And, it's just awesome to have a shotgun or M16 with a ton of Zombies coming at you.
Darth_Z13
Jedi High Council
Jedi High Council
xbox live or psn: Xanthius Wylon

Post by Darth_Z13 »

Played the 360 demo all morning, I love it. :D

Totally going to try to convince my parents to let me get it.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

As shown by my avatar, I approve this topic.

By the way...
Hidden/Spoiler:
BEST GAME EVER! I am SOOO getting it! I've played the demo 6-7 hours already... :P
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Im not a big fan of zombie games, but this actually looks like something I would play. The only problem I have with zombie gams is the pop in your face stuff, but other than that, Im ok. Looks great. Im not buying the game, but Im gonna keep the beta when I get it.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

It's a demo, not a beta.
It's not really that scary either. It's more overwhelming scariness than spooky scariness. Then theirs sometimes the zombies that jump out at you from nowhere. :D
I'm not really a fan of horror survival games, but this is more than that. This is a game.
darth omm9
Private

Post by darth omm9 »

Am usally scared s**t of zombies but left 4 dead just isnt scary

No cursing please -Staff
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Hebes24 »

I'm not into Zombie games, but I'll try the demo.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

im dnl the demo now. I hope its better then fallout 3 was..at least for me. I like the "end of the world" vibe but zombies can get cheesy , i hope l4d is not bantha fodder!
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Thire, Z13 and I were just playing the demo on the 360.

We hid in the bathroom until the game's equivalent of the Hulk burst through the door. Fun times were had by all.

However, there's no way in the Land of Dairy Queen that I'm going to pay $50 for it, as I think it relies a little too much on Co-op for me to enjoy it for as long as possible.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

I enjoyed the demo that , if you dont wait for your team , takes about 5 minutes to run thru. there are like 5 million items on the ground to pick up, heal , weapons, i just ran to the end and hid when stuff was coming and my crew seemed to be there within 2 seconds, lol. the zombies pouring into rooms is cool when you make loud noises or hit car alarms but honestly unless a map was SUPER cool or I had 4 perfect lan players this would eventually get stale(even with random boss,drops, etc..) Perfect music, sound, images, scary enemies, but once you figure out a fight and how it works, running from room to hallway to building to traindepot is all the same.

watch out for the fat guy vomit! yikes!

$20 and under would be a must have, over$30 not so much. Ill wait.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

:|
Again no one likes a game as much as me.

One of the big things for me is the new tech. Once released, this will be modable with the SDK, and VALVe will most likely use the AI director in later games. For example, Episode 3...
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

If you make a mod for l4d where stormtroopers come at me like those zombies just did, maybe on endor , with scouts and stuff and its using that engine and play style....that would rock.Any star wars based in source is amazing!
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

*sigh*
The incredible hardness of that is overwhelming. Probably the only kind of mods for Left 4 Dead will be maps, and the amount of maps will be very small.

Some people are making a Star Wars Source mod though: Star Wars: The New Era.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Excellent idea Guru.

I've played the demo on my PC and I love it. I won't be getting til Christmas (Jan 7th), but it's still a great game. Too bad the demo ends once the game comes out. It's soo much fun. Witches are crazy and scare the [Diet Dr. Pepper] out of me. I can get 3/4 way through the two levels on expert then I just get ganked. Playing with friends makes this game what it is. Tanks are a pain, Smokers are cowards, Boomers are fun, but are annoying when you don't want to be vomited on, Hunters make you feel worthless.

Also Pimpbomb is like thee best weapon ever next to the golden gun, BFG, and Gravity gun. And the most hilarious in that game.
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

Post by VF501 »

Played the demo some more, and it does rely alot on Multiplayer to carry it, but I don't mind as it's one of the few games where multiplayer does make it exceptional because of the game mechanics. I do wish though that they had more game modes, such as a survival one, or a wave mode.

For immense fun, try setting the Witch Zombie on fire with a Molotov or Gas Can. Epic hilarity ensues. Played Expert which was insane, but one game I was on a really good team. We took down everything with no deaths, even after the AI Director spawned two Tank Zombies in a row. So with a good team, this game is loads of fun on expert and not one massive, just got owned fest.
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Hebes24 »

I played the demo a couple of times. I thought it was really good, but I don't know if I'll get the full game...I don't like creepy games.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin

Post by guru »

i found these codes/console commands to add mobs, drop items, noclip thru walls, the infinite swarm raid of zombies thing is awsome, they continually attack you , god mode helps :0

The Necessary Steps

1) Enable Developer Console from options
2) Start a LAN server game.
3) Press ~ to open console
4) In console type: sv_cheats 1
5) In console type: ent_fire !self setteam 3

Now you should see be able to ghost around as one of the infected, which will be randomly selected for you.

6) To play single player, in console type: director_force_versus_start 1

Once the human team leaves the starting point you can find a nice location away from them to spawn.

If you die you will be put into a spectator mode and will be forced to watch the rest of the game play out. If you want to respawn here are instructions:

Respawning As Infected

1) In console type: ghost
2) Follow on screen instructions (move away from survivors and click to respawn).

Changing Infected Class

1) In console type: ghost (if not already in ghost)
2) In console type z_spawn x
2a) Where x is equal to: boomer, smoker, hunter, tank

Note: You can type z_spawn X anywhere and it will create a spawn. If you are in ghost form and type z_spawn boomer you will become the boomer but if you are already alive it will simply place an NPC boomer right next to you. Also, the z_spawn command is not effected by the normal spawn limitations so if you abuse it you can spawn right on top of the survivors. Mostly this will lead to your instant death unless you spawn as a tank in which case it will more likely lead to the complete annihilation of the survivors.

Some of these may not work anymore as valve has wiped some demos and wiped some features due to this "mod usage console etc"
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I found a way to get a discount on it, so if you guys happen to get the 360 version I'll probably be up for a game. My only wish is that you have a mic. ;)

However, tell me who you are in your invite, otherwise I just block communications :P

(GT: TheDarkOrchid)