What is Steam?

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

msc
Private Recruit
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Halo Reach and MW2
xbox live or psn: msc204

What is Steam?

Post by msc »

Okay, I've been looking in this section and have been wonder for the past *looks at clock* 2 to 5 minutes, and have been wondering..... what the heck is Steam and what does it do? I've looked at the website, but haven't been able to fully understand it. So I'll ask you all, what in the world is this :quotes: steam :quotes:

Thanks for you're time, I know this might possibly be a dumb question,
Last edited by msc on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Re: What is Steam?

Post by Grev »

In physical chemistry, and in engineering, steam refers to vaporized water.
In gaming however:
Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to distribute a wide range of games and related media entirely over the internet, stretching from one-man independent efforts to some of the world's most popular games. Steam is set apart from its peers in terms of functionality primarily by its residency in the system tray, and the desktop tasks that the client software performs to make use of that position.
I've used steam, and although I didn't like it, you need it for most games designed by Valve.
msc
Private Recruit
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Halo Reach and MW2
xbox live or psn: msc204

Post by msc »

Grev wrote:
In physical chemistry, and in engineering, steam refers to vaporized water.
In gaming however:
Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to distribute a wide range of games and related media entirely over the internet, stretching from one-man independent efforts to some of the world's most popular games. Steam is set apart from its peers in terms of functionality primarily by its residency in the system tray, and the desktop tasks that the client software performs to make use of that position.
I've used steam, and although I didn't like it, you need it for most games designed by Valve.
Okay well this brings me to part 2 of my dumb question :cpu: ,

Now also, what does this do in terms of online multiplayer? Does it limit you to it's own servers, or can you join World Wide servers like on most multiplayer games?
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Depending on the game, you should be able to get all the servers you could get from any retail version of the game. Steam has it's own servers, but if you mean making your own servers, yes. Millions of people use Steam all over the world, and each can set up their own servers.

EDIT:
If you haven't already, read this thread:

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 69&t=15325