Left 4 Dead 2

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Left 4 Dead 2

Post by Xavious »

Read about it here if you haven't already.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2552/

Sounds interesting, with the AI director controlling weather and pathways and all. I'll be watching this for sure.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Left 4 Dead 2

Post by Nihillo »

That's odd, L4D came out last year and they already want to make a sequel? Why didn't they add this new Director 2.0 system to the original product? Why aren't they making a patch or an Episode instead of a whole new game?

That is not like Valve at all...
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I'm actually excited. The only thing I will miss is Zoey, Bill, Francis, and Louis. So maybe they'll release L8D where it's an eight player coop and both groups meet up.

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14352245/ ... 52809.html

IGN has a 2 page article with tons of good information.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

My opinion?

Epic facepalm. Waste of money, time, and a game. Just add it on.

Valve has failed me.
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

Post by VF501 »

One on hand, it feels far too soon, but on the others, it looks like the same gameplay style with new elements, larger more expansive maps, and a few new things.

Garden Maze video. The player Ty, playing the white dude, he has a gold health bar, with this weird meter/bar underlying it. Could it be some sort of infection meter, that when it runs down he "turns" and either you die and bot SI fights, or you turn on your allies?

The incendiary ammo though looks cheesy.
Ipodzanyman
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: ME3 Demo

Post by Ipodzanyman »

I'm not sure I like where this is going. I can see it next year- Left 4 Dead 3! Almost as bad as the COD franchise getting a new game every year... Episode 3 should be a priority :P
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Maybe they want to reach the fourth edition as soon as possible so they can make a joke with the name of the game.
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Hebes24 »

If you're wondering why they made a sequel so quick, just read the ign article Moving_Target posted:
Valve's Chet Faliszek (known almost universally in the industry as just Chet) told us that when they finished production of Left 4 Dead last year many of the developers had ideas they wanted to pursue for a sequel. And since Valve employees get to choose their next project, it quickly paved the way for Left 4 Dead 2.
At least they're not doing it just for the money....
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

But the Valve people always try to add more content to the games they have already released, either through a patch or an episodic expansion, if there is no need to make a new game and charge the full price for it, they just won't do it; at least that is what they used to be like...

The engine doesn't seem to have changed much and I'm sure they could do this new AI director thing with Left 4 Dead 1, it's completely unecessary to make an entirely new game.
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Hebes24 »

That's true, However:
On a similar note, Chet noted that they were discussing including the original four Left 4 Dead campaigns with Left 4 Dead 2. The thinking is that this would make things easier for consumers. After all, if you and your buddies are playing Left 4 Dead 2 and you all want to play a campaign from the original game, it's an incredibly annoying and disruptive hassle to have everyone quit Left 4 Dead 2 and start Left 4 Dead if you're on a PC, or swap out the Left 4 Dead 2 disc for the Left 4 Dead disc if you're on an Xbox 360. User feedback would probably help sway Valve, so make sure to let the company know what you think. And despite the fact that Left 4 Dead 2 is a reality, Chet said that the company isn't abandoning the first game and that it has plans to support it in the future with new updates, like four-versus-four matchmaking.
If you guys who are complaining haven't read the ign article, just do it. I'm tired of quoting it. What I'm quoting may not make a difference, though, but some of the other stuff in the article might. There's a kriffing ton of new and cool stuff in L4D2. at least check it out for that. Don't just dismiss the game because the developer isn't doing what you want.
Last edited by Hebes24 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Yeah, I'm sorry. I will read it.

Oh, so it's sorta like the orange box, but just about the L4D games? That sounds better.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Looks a lot scarier than the first game, and in that sense, from what I saw in the trailer, it loses the flair it had in the last game. The last game wasn't meant to be scary in my opinion, because I hate zombie games, but I loved that game. This however, looks like a totally different ball game, more of a "how much blood can I get out of a zombie", rather than "how can I survive?". However, it's only a trailer, and they can be misleading.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

:runaway:

Loved the first one and still do, I hope L4D2 lives up to the original.
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Hebes24 »

Grev wrote:This however, looks like a totally different ball game, more of a "how much blood can I get out of a zombie", rather than "how can I survive?". However, it's only a trailer, and they can be misleading.
If you watch the gameplay videos, it looks about the same as the original. The new melee weapons are obviously going to be more gory though.

Edit: IGN has a bunch of gameplay videos of L4D2: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/143/14352245/vids_1.html
tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tsurugi13 »

My biggest issue with this game is that it's doing a GREAT job of delaying the next half-life game. And the first one came out less than a year ago... :| There are better uses for your time, Valve.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

The reason, I think it's not an expansion, is because of the 360. It'd be too large of a DLC for it. Atleast I think, I could be wrong, but most DLC I've heard about (I don't own a 360) are usually 25% the size of the actual game.

They also said they're thinking of adding the 4 previous campaigns in to two for smoother gameplay. I just hope you play as Zoey, Bill, Francis, and Louis. And that this narrative will lead to all 8 meeting up.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Moving_Target wrote:The reason, I think it's not an expansion, is because of the 360. It'd be too large of a DLC for it. Atleast I think, I could be wrong, but most DLC I've heard about (I don't own a 360) are usually 25% the size of the actual game.

They also said they're thinking of adding the 4 previous campaigns in to two for smoother gameplay. I just hope you play as Zoey, Bill, Francis, and Louis. And that this narrative will lead to all 8 meeting up.
While possible, it's not likely. They're in two different parts of the us.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

It appears there is a group of people boycotting L4D2, they are not happy with the current price for the game ($49.99) and the direction this whole thing is going.
L4D2 Boycotte wrote:The few people here who defend the decision to make L4D2 seem to not understand what everyone is upset about. I've tried to summarize the most common issues I've heard people having in hopes that it clears things up:

* Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
* Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
* The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
* The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
* The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
* L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic
* The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
* L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
* The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release
And here's Doug Lombardi in a recent interview:
Doug Lombardi wrote:(...)we plan to continue updating Left 4 Dead. We’re not done with that title, it’s not over. The SDK stuff just came out. I think we mentioned to RPS that if you’re using the SDK and making maps for it, those will work for L4D2 as well. We are trying to keep the community together – we’re going to be doing more stuff about keeping the community together as we get closer to launch.

I think the short answer is: trust us a little bit. We’ve been pretty good over the years, even with L4D going back just a few months, about supporting games post-launch. Gabe’s always talking about providing entertainment as a service – it’s not about making a game any more. That’s one point of it.(...)

(...)One of the biggest pieces of feedback we got after the game came out, and even after the Survival Pack, was: this is all really great, I loved it, but I want a bunch more campaigns, I want more content. In a sense, L4D2 is a response to what players were asking for after the first one shipped. That’s really how it came about. I think if folks spot us a bit more time, they may see where we’re going with all this. The more they learn about how much there is in L4D2… I mean, twenty new weapons isn’t DLC! Three new Specials, and twenty weapons, and five new campaigns: that starts to feel like a sequel. I think as more gets unveiled as we go from E3 to Comic Con and PAX, and show the game in places where the public can play, and then when the demo comes out a couple of weeks before launch, I think people will get where we’re going, and hopefully don’t think that we’ve turned into some sort of opportunist cow milkers.

(...)people may have felt differently about it had it taken longer to produce it.
I'm not sure how I feel about the new Left 4 Dead, I still think it's unecessary to make a new game, but I won't join those guys; I mean, it's easy to join the protesting crowd, we are always being fooled by someone, we assume the worst when seemingly rushed decisions like this are made and we want to defend whatever is at stake, but in the process, we fail to understand what are the intentions of the other party, they might be doing what is best for our interests, but we are to busy in our crusade against the so called injustice to think of the issue in a rational way, there are many times when we are too quick to judge and too slow to concede.

Hopefully this will be solved in a rational manner.

My sources:
http://www.moddb.com/groups/left-4-dead ... n-the-rise
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06 ... ittle-bit/
swbf_lase
Major General
Major General

Post by swbf_lase »

As long as they come out with a game entitled LSD, I think the franchise will do great :)

Left So Dead...
Left Something Dead...
Left Soup Dead...
Left Sue Dead...
Left Six Dead?
Left Someone Dead..?

Who knows :D