Total War (Series)

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

What Would You Rate The Total War Series As a Whole?

33%
25%
8%
8%
8%
No votes
8%
No votes
8%
No votes

Total votes: 12
delta578
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Total War (Series)

Post by delta578 »

Well, I myself have loved the Total War series, I am just curious as to what everyone else thinks about it. I personally only own Rome: Total War: Barbarian Invasion, though, when my brother and I build a new and better PC, I am going to get Medieval 2: Total War and Empire: Total War which I heard was GREAT!

A few reasons that I like the Total War games is that it offers a more realistic strategy experience, it doesn't center JUST on combat, I can employ real Roman tactics into my version and the ability to zoom directly into the battle makes them EPIC!! Graphics are awesome too!

What do you think of the series as a whole and which is your favorite game in the series?
ecko_66
Private First Class

Re: Total War (Series)

Post by ecko_66 »

I only ever had medieval total war but it was awesome! Turn base strategy gaming at it's best. Only support kinda sucked though, I don't know if it improved with the newer versions.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

I only have Empire Total War, but it is currently my favorite game to date. I can assure you the graphics are better in this version, and the level of detail is PHENOMENAL! In naval battles, there are even people scuttling around below deck and you can even, by pressing the "insert" key, zoom in to a first person view of a soldier. The turn based mode is definitely at its best, and I have nothing bad to say about the new Warpath Campaign expansion, which allows you to play as 5 Native American factions, and adds several units to some European factions. (It's only 10 bucks, and completely worth it. Might only be on Steam though, not sure.) I've managed to attain victory in the Grand Campaign (long version) with Russia and am 20 years from winning long campaign with The Netherlands.

Great Game. GangsterJawa out.

EDIT: Hehe, upon reading it myself, that kinda sounds like I was advertising the game or something...
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

GangsterJawa wrote:... and am 20 years from winning long campaign with The Netherlands....
You will never defeat us!!!
Hidden/Spoiler:
:wink:
I've never played the series as a whole, but from what I gathered by playing it at friends and stuff, I thought it was a great game.
Master of Stickmen
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Location: In your ear, pretending to be that voice in your head you call your "concience".

Post by Master of Stickmen »

Haven't played it before, but I've heard it was amazing and I also LOVE RTS's.

P.S. Is it true they use it to recreate historical battles on the History Channel?
delta578
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by delta578 »

Master of Stickmen wrote:Haven't played it before, but I've heard it was amazing and I also LOVE RTS's.

P.S. Is it true they use it to recreate historical battles on the History Channel?
I wouldn't think so, it's not that realistic (but still very realistic)

On the other hand if you had to choose a program that would be semi-affordable Total War would be the ticket I guess.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Indeed it was. Two shows, actually.

Decisive Battles (History Channel)

Time Commanders (BBC)
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

mswf wrote:
GangsterJawa wrote:... and am 20 years from winning long campaign with The Netherlands....
Hidden/Spoiler:
You miss my drift... I'm playing AS the Netherlands. They're very fun to play as.
ecko_66
Private First Class

Post by ecko_66 »

Oh no. Now you guys have done it... I need to get a copy of the newest edition of the game... darnit there goes my gpa...
jedi_pilot
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by jedi_pilot »

My brother and I own all three of the latter Total War games(Rome, Medeval, Empire). And they are definently a favorite :D . I really love the fact in Empire where you can fight naval battles 8) ...

BTW, have any of you tried custom mods for the games??? There's billions of them!!!
delta578
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by delta578 »

Nah I never had the yearning to try any mods for the game, it's awesome already!
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

GangsterJawa wrote:
mswf wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
You miss my drift... I'm playing AS the Netherlands. They're very fun to play as.
Oops... Well, I wish you a sweet victory then :mrgreen:
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith

Post by GangsterJawa »

mswf wrote:
GangsterJawa wrote:
mswf wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Oops... Well, I wish you a sweet victory then :mrgreen:
Yeah... I've conquered all of Europe west of Austria (not including GB), destroyed the Ottoman Empire, captured all of North Africa, from Egypt to Morocco, taken over South and Central America and the Caribbean, the southern half of India... *catches breath* And I'm still working on the Maratha, who occupy the northern half of India.

Back On-Topic: What kind of mods for ETW are Steam-compatible, if any, JP?
Jediguy
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Jediguy »

The Total War Series has been revolutionary in the strategy genre. I've played the original Medieval, own Rome and all its expansions, and am currently working on Medieval Two and Kingdoms as France :D . There is just so much to do, and battle is only the half of it. Diplomacy is hands on, and vital to success, you can choose to assasinate enemies, and spy on other armies and settlements, even your allies. And your decisions affect the entire world. For the first time in RTS, I really feel like a faction leader. And what the AI is capable of is amazing. I won't get into that too much now, but let me just say that Milan, Poland, and the Holy Roman Empire combined with Spain in a conspiracy against me, after the Prince of Milan paid me to assasinate his father, the king.
War on too many fronts is incredibly dfficult, so one must maintain strong garrisons, a strong economy, and field armies. I think the greatest moment for me was in MTW2, building a fleet on the English Channel, loading it with men from nearby Angers (I think that's what it's called) and sailing to England, where my troops immediately took London, went around Nottingham, and negotiated for York. Meanwhile, I had to defend my several settlements in the Holy Land from an islamic jihad. So epic. The battles are incredible as well, with hundreds, even thousands of men clashing arms. There are even individual finishing moves.
The mosd are another thing altogether. Rome Total War probably has the best. Star Wars Total War (only a beta I think), Lychan Rising (Vampires, werewolves, humans melee), Lord of the Rings Total War, and the absolutely sick Napoleonic Total War II.
In short, the Total War series is the most awesome strategy series of all time. If you don't have any of these games, get them. They're only $20 new for Gold Edition of Rome and Medieval 2. :clone:
jedi_pilot
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by jedi_pilot »

Good summary of the game jediguy :) . as for mods, it would take me weeks to suggest all the good ones there's so many. Here's the link to the main Total War modding forum. Browse around and see what you can find...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php

Currently there are not a whole lot of mods for empire, save for a few that change skins and stuff. My personal favorite for Medeval: Kingdoms is Third Age. It's a complete conversion to LOTR :P . If you guys wan't a suggestion list of mods, let me know...
Jediguy
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Jediguy »

Ha, I have that link favorited. I have this one favorited too, it's a list of all known released mods for Medieval and Rome.
http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Released_Mods
Star Wars TW and Warhammer TW aren't listed, but you can only get SWTW from modb and WHTW is really hard to find.
delta578
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by delta578 »

That Third Age: Total War looks amazing! Those guys put a lot of effort into that mod man!! From what I saw it was amazing!
Master of Stickmen
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Location: In your ear, pretending to be that voice in your head you call your "concience".

Post by Master of Stickmen »

Decided to try it, so I'm downloading the demo.
For those who want the demo you can find it HERE
(this demo is for Rome: Total War)
negah
Corporal
Corporal

Post by negah »

Shogun Total War FTW.
Of course the armies are the same and the graphics are old, but the setting and the videos are epic.
delta578
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by delta578 »

I think it's high time for a Mythology: Total War or official Lord of the Rings: Total War.

Ofcourse the producers seem to want to stick with historic formats so I don't know, I just think it would be awesome to have a cohort of Minotaurs tearing through a cohort of cavalry!