Will the JK series work on my computer?

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Will the JK series work on my computer?

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Steam says the games could have compatibility issues with some systems, but it doesn't list anywhere what those issues are specifically.
I have JKII and JA on my older computer, but I'm tired of waiting 15 minutes for that cinderblock to start up, then another 20 for it to start the game. So, I was thinking about buying that entire collection thing off of Steam, but I don't know if it will work on this computer. Here are the specs (courtesy of xfire):
Xfire wrote:Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6134MB RAM
Hard Drive: 567 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Would anyone happen to know?
Last edited by Twilight_Warrior on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Will the JK series work on my computer?

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:I have JKII and JA on my oder computer,
Twilight_Warrior wrote:I don't know if it will work on this computer.
It seems like there is an easy solution here.

I doubt you'd have problems with JKA; I haven't perused those specific Steam forums in a while, but I was under the impression that most of the problems were strictly with the older games. I'm pretty sure JKA was made recently enough that it won't have potential issues.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Maveritchell wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:I have JKII and JA on my oder computer,
Twilight_Warrior wrote:I don't know if it will work on this computer.
It seems like there is an easy solution here.
Well yeah, I COULD install those two on here, but I want the DF games and the original Jedi Knight, too, and the disc version of JKII crashes on the newer computer (so it's cheaper to buy the collection than the individual games), but I wasn't sure if Steam had updated versions of the game to work on newer systems becasue they updated System Requirements.

I'll look into it, though, I just didn't know if anyone here had already bought and tested it.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

The Steam releases don't change anything or fix any compatibility issues, as far as I know. I don't know what your specific problems are with the game, but I'd be willing to bet that you could probably find at least some direction on the Steam forum for that game - try out the fixes with your copy and if you can get it to work, download the bundle.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I can confirm that the Steam release of Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II) does not actually fix any bugs. It's just a straight port with steam functionality in the exe, nothing more. So if a disc version doesn't work, the steam version won't either (dunno if that helps). You could always search for the Jedi Knight demo to see if that runs before buying it.
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

Post by VF501 »

Steam or Retail CD, JKO and JKA will work fine on your system. Even though Corei7 920 is x58 compared to traditional x48 layouts, the OS still operates the same. The warning is only for older games made for Win95 or earlier, specifically DOS games in particular.

Get Retail if you can, retail CD/DVD installs have more flexibility for mods and such and the ability to run different .exe versions if you desire a particular one (ie. CoD4 1.6 or CoD41.7 as an example because there are servers for both versions). Buy via Steam if its a game that needs specific patches (ie. EA/DICE Battlefield series), if its old/hard to find, or if it has ValvE Steamworks integrated into the game (Just Cause2, ROME Total War, Metro2033).
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

Teancum wrote:I can confirm that the Steam release of Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II) does not actually fix any bugs. It's just a straight port with steam functionality in the exe, nothing more. So if a disc version doesn't work, the steam version won't either (dunno if that helps). You could always search for the Jedi Knight demo to see if that runs before buying it.
The JKA demo doesn't run on Vista computers, but the full game does.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

VF501 wrote:Steam or Retail CD, JKO and JKA will work fine on your system.
He already said that JKO didn't:
the disc version of JKII crashes on the newer computer (so it's cheaper to buy the collection than the individual games), but I wasn't sure if Steam had updated versions of the game to work on newer systems becasue they updated System Requirements.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

RogueKnight wrote:
Teancum wrote:I can confirm that the Steam release of Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II) does not actually fix any bugs. It's just a straight port with steam functionality in the exe, nothing more. So if a disc version doesn't work, the steam version won't either (dunno if that helps). You could always search for the Jedi Knight demo to see if that runs before buying it.
The JKA demo doesn't run on Vista computers, but the full game does.
Strange, the JKA demo runs on my Vista computer just fine. :wink: Besides, Teancum was referring to the Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II) demo anyway.
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Projects I am ready to unveil
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-MW2-Madden 08

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

Well... I know steam will use/include the free program DOS-box for any programs that are old enough to use it that might not work on new systems, since I've never bought anything off steam I don't know how they put it to use, but I did read in a review for the JK series deal that the only issues this particular group of people had was with Dark Forces 2 (no music since it was the non-CD version) and Mysteries of the Sith, but seeing as how you have the CD version, perhaps DOS-box would help on your newer pc, Academy should work just fine also.

Hope I helped
MercuryNoodles
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Space - Boarding Action

Post by MercuryNoodles »

This is a little late, but the issues with JK 2 and 3 are likely to involve OpenGL drivers, which ATI has not been great with fixing. I've read somewhere (I've read through a few forums to find a solution for my own OGL issues.) that NVidia largely resolved the OGL issues on their cards, though. Basically, the major GPU manufacturers updated their OGL drivers, and made just about every old OGL game (like the first AvP) unplayable in the process. I'd found a fix that I knew worked for JK3, but I can't seem to find the thread where I'd posted it.