Hl2 dm and lost coast

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

flaming_taco
Private Recruit

Hl2 dm and lost coast

Post by flaming_taco »

A little while back i had just gotten portal with the free offer they had. I was interested to see if there were any other games like that for free. So i found that half 2 deathmatch and lost coast were free for a limited amount of time. I don't own hl2 as i'm not allowed to play m games but i got them anyway just in case i ever got half life. Recently i had seen something that said that these games would run if you had any source engine game, e.g. portal. Sure enough, they seem to run without half life. Was i right about it only needing a source game? or are they stand alone? Also since i can't play m games, is there a low violence version of these games i can turn on? Thank you in advance.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Hl2 dm and lost coast

Post by Nihillo »

I think you'll only need a Source game and the Source SDK.

As for low violence, open the console and type in the following codes:

violence_hblood 0 - Turns off human blood.
violence_hgibs 0 - Turns off human gibs.
violence_ablood 0 - Turns off alien blood.
violence_agibs 0 - Turns off alien gibs.

Be wary that Half-life 2 is a First Person Shooter, you will still be using guns to shoot things dead, and last time I checked, this was classified as violence... but if it's only the blood that bothers you, then these codes should be enough.

My source: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/hints.html
flaming_taco
Private Recruit

Post by flaming_taco »

Yeah the problem isn't so much that its a shooter, but just that i don't want my parents to see tons of blood and gore when i shoot things if they ever see me play it. Thanks though

Edit:Also, i have two computers i use for gaming, both of them are registered with the same steam account, but i only got these games on one computer. Is there any way to get them on the other since they should be registered with my account now?

Don't doublepost. If you have an addition to make to your post, edit your older post. - Staff
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

flaming_taco wrote:Edit:Also, i have two computers i use for gaming, both of them are registered with the same steam account, but i only got these games on one computer. Is there any way to get them on the other since they should be registered with my account now?
If you are using the same account in both computers, then I believe all you have to do is download these games again in the other computer. You can even continue a previously saved game from a different computer by using Steam Cloud! Although I will admit that I have never used it, so I don't know how to set it up, but it shouldn't be too difficult.
flaming_taco
Private Recruit

Post by flaming_taco »

well it turns out i downloaded them just didn't install

EDIT: i've tried to install some source mods for half life 2, all multiplayer, and it says i need to get the game. Am i not able to get them with just half life 2 deathmatch? What mods can i get for just deathmatch?
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

flaming_taco wrote:EDIT: i've tried to install some source mods for half life 2, all multiplayer, and it says i need to get the game. Am i not able to get them with just half life 2 deathmatch? What mods can i get for just deathmatch?
http://www.fpsbanana.com/mods/5
flaming_taco
Private Recruit

Post by flaming_taco »

Oh, thank you, so can i not run halflife 2 mods with only deathmatch?
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Probably not.
flaming_taco
Private Recruit

Post by flaming_taco »

well that makes me rather unhappy now, i was looking forward to playing some of the better multiplayer mods for hl2
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Well, you could just buy the game, it's cheap.
flaming_taco
Private Recruit

Post by flaming_taco »

Yeah except i can't get m games and with multiplayer games i could turn off the blood at least, and my parents didn't know i got this
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

if the codes work for hl2 deathmatch they should work for hl2 aswell (and nihillo got them from hints for hl2 anyway)