Major TF2 Update and Steam Wallet

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Major TF2 Update and Steam Wallet

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Mann Co. Mann-conomy now allows to you buy, make, sell, and trade ingame items. Interesting concept, it's just a way to get all the items without spending hours upon hours of playtime to unlock them and hope you don't get too many duplicates. I haven't actually tried it out ingame, so I don't know what it's like from a buyer's perspective.
Here's the news post:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65823

This also introduces a new way to buy things on Steam. The "Steam Wallet." It's like an iTunes account for Steam, I guess, you can load money on there and use it for ingame purchases or normal Steam purchases.
And here's it's FAQ:
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4412

EDIT: Oh, and Team Fortress 2 is now 50% off until Monday for those of you that don't have it.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Re: Major TF2 Update and Steam Wallet

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Anyone wants a (Vintage) Sergeants Drill Hat? :D
Now i can trade all those Soldier Hats i always get...
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Aw man! This new set of items for the Spy class was practically made for me; I never really liked the disguise kit, it was too unreliable and people often saw through my disguises, I prefer using invisibility to approach my targets, and now I might be able to do that more easily, thanks to the gun that magically replenishes your cloaking meter every time you hit someone with it. I just hope it works with the Cloak 'n' Dagger.

I'm a bit skepctical about the large number of healing items introduced in this update, especially the Soldier's new rocket launcher, it's kinda... extremely overpowered, don't you think? :?
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

The weird new Scout pistol is overpowered. If youre aim is not terrible you can just spam them all away. IMO the rocketlauncher is okay, just having 3 shots instead of 4 balances him and i still win most of the soldier 1on1's with ma trusty vintage rocketlauncher(dont want to be a show off, fact).

What I really like is the new machete for the sniper, if it crits with jarate too, its a spy. Its in fact the only weapon I would always use from the polycount pack.

I still dont understand the fish. If I get hit theres a kill message but Im not dead, and what are the numbers for?

http://www.tf2items.com/
A good site for finding trade partners.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I'm really enjoying this update. I'm trading like crazy, and have got some pretty good deals out of it. Plus the new stuff is...different, which is always good.

@ANDEWEGET: Apparently the hit messages play off of how it's supposed to be humiliating, that's all.

Oh, and I plan to post a game review/news/whatever for this and TF2 in general on the main page tomorrow.

And if you guys want to trade anything with me, I've got a thread over on the Steam Forums.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

ANDEWEGET wrote:The weird new Scout pistol is overpowered. If youre aim is not terrible you can just spam them all away.
Well, it is very powerful for a mere pistol, that's true and maybe they should tweak it... but it's not overpowered, keep in mind that it occupies the primary weapon slot, so you'll only have pistols and your bat as weapons, the Scout loses his short-range firepower and has to resort to melee in case someone gets too close, problem is, the Scout is still the most fragile class in the game, unless you get someone by surprise, you probably won't last long to kill them with the bat.

A Scout using the Shortstop must stay away from his targets, but not too far away or the damage will be drastically reduced (I've got like 6 damage at long range and around 35 at medium range, according to the in-game damage counter), you have to dodge a lot too, since you will be directly attacking other players.

I like to think of the Shortstop as a throwback to the original design of the Scout, he was originally supposed to have a nailgun, a medium-range SMG-like weapon that would be used to harass enemies.

As for the Pyro's new flamethrower, that thing is useless and the car-battery hammer thing is stupid. I'll hold on to it, though, I used to think the Homewrecker was useless, then they changed it so that it would remove sappers and it became incredibly useful to me, I'm hoping they will change these weapons too.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

I got something called "Mercenary", though it's untradeable, and seems to have no effect whatsoever, other than something you can carry around.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Mercenary
Pre-update. You get it if you bought and played TF2 for the first time more than a year after TF2 came out.

As for my experience with the update, I am enjoying the trading system very much. Being a "Mercenary" myself, I don't have many spares to trade, but I've used them wisely to get some spares from other players and expand my collection.

I managed to get my hands on the new "Sydney Sleeper," and I must say, I don't like it too well. Maybe its just me, but a sniper rifle shouldn't be simply a "hinderance" weapon that allows your teammates to take down the enemy quicker.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Nihillo wrote:...keep in mind that it occupies the primary weapon slot...
Always thought that it was a replacement for the pistol... well, with that in mind its not that overpowered. But it still needs tweaking.
Only read this if you like pyros...
Hidden/Spoiler:
Usually I had a chance with sniper against a scout, just because(especially with the scattergun) he had to reload/think about when to shoot, in this time I could with a bit of cleverness(and of course luck) hit him with jarate and come close enough with my machete to hit him(maybe kill him). Now the scout just comes in and spams me to death, with the scattergun/fan scouts usually try to come as close as possible to do enough damage; they dont need it anymore. Other weaker classes(sniper, spy, medic, engie, not shortstopper scouts) nearly dont have any chance anymore if the scout can dodge just a bit. The good thing is, that he now actually has a chance against a heavy in medium to close-range battle, with a bit of tweaking everything should be fine.
Sadly the croco shield doesnt give you 26 more health, then you couldnt get quick-headshotted(sp?) by other snipers anymore...

Before the update, the text chat window was mainly occupied by the Medic calls, now its like a marketplace. :D Anyone ever found a key for the supply crate(s)? I found a crate yesterday but never heard of someone finding a key.
Ping wrote:...seems to have no effect whatsoever, other than something you can carry around.
Its just like... hats...
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

ANDEWEGET wrote:I found a crate yesterday but never heard of someone finding a key.
If you've ever played Combat Arms, this is a familiar money-making strategy. You find these magic boxes all the time (In Combat Arms, this came in the form of "Hi-Sec Cases." Here, it's these supply crates) that could contain different items along with one or more VERY rare ones. But there's a catch. You have to purchase the key. That's right. The keys are ONLY available by spending real world cash. Clever, no? :/
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:I managed to get my hands on the new "Sydney Sleeper," and I must say, I don't like it too well. Maybe its just me, but a sniper rifle shouldn't be simply a "hinderance" weapon that allows your teammates to take down the enemy quicker.
I agree, the Sydney Sleeper makes the Jarate itself completely useless since it's less versatile. There are couple things that I would have done differently, if I were responsible for this update: first, it doesn't make sense for a rifle to shoot... erm... "Jarate"... it should cause some other minor ailment, like poison (not hard to do, just give the bleeding status a different icon and there you have it) or maybe slightly reduce the victim's speed (tranquilizers). Second, the Soldier's Black Box, I have read that it is based on real life M202 FLASH a weapon that shoots incendiary rockets, okay, so why doesn't the Black Box set enemies on fire, like the Pyro's Flamethrower? It would be cool if it dealt reduced damage on impact, but set players on fire. The Powerjack could have some sort of electrical status effect to it... okay, I will admit that adding this sort of thing is more effort than it's worth it, but anything would make more sense than a hammer that heals!
Twilight_Warrior wrote:
ANDEWEGET wrote:I found a crate yesterday but never heard of someone finding a key.
If you've ever played Combat Arms, this is a familiar money-making strategy. You find these magic boxes all the time (In Combat Arms, this came in the form of "Hi-Sec Cases." Here, it's these supply crates) that could contain different items along with one or more VERY rare ones. But there's a catch. You have to purchase the key. That's right. The keys are ONLY available by spending real world cash. Clever, no? :/
Yeah, I got a crate too, and I certainly will not buy a key for it, I don't care about the stuff inside it. I hope they add the option to smelt it into scrap metal in future updates.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

I dun see teh problem....
Thire
Major
Major
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Thire »

What do you mean "uh oh"? That's awesome.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Thats what I meant...something like *speechless*