Would you say TF2 is an RPG?

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Is TF2 turning into an MMORPG?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 7
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: STALKER - TDU2

Would you say TF2 is an RPG?

Post by Lozza »

I'm getting really annoyed about all the TF2 hats and all that. The only thing people want from that game is hats and trading and I don't see anybody that just wants to play a good fps. I do like how they made hats and vintage weapons and all that but I think they are going off the limits now. I remember some guy was selling a unusual hat for 210 USD on a normal gaming server.
I must admit I payed 30 bucks for an unusual hat 'for show' but who hear thinks TF2 is more of a FPS or MMORPG? Just interested in peoples opinions on the state of this game.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Would you say TF2 is an RPG?

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

One does not call a game an RPG simply because it has collectables. The hats are just for fun and add no gameplay value whatsoever (aside from the polycount hats, but those can be crafted so there's no need to rely on other players or on your real cash). Why in the world does that make it a game where one goes on pre-determined quests with specified goals to gain experience and currency to improve the stats and abilities of player's character and/or party through a level-up system (in layman's terms, a role-playing game)?

Now if you're talking about the weapon drops, then yes, that might move TF2 closer to an RPG because the different weapons give units different stats and abilities, but that could be said for any shooter nowadays. It's just giving a little customization to a class-based multiplayer-only shooter. Plus, every weapon can be obtained randomly or by crafting without the need of trade or purchase, so there's really no necessity, they're just "ease of access" features.
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

I'm saying its CHTSO game actaully. Collecting hats to show off, thats the only thing I see people do.
Why in the world does that make it a game where one goes on pre-determined quests with specified goals to gain experience and currency to improve the stats and abilities of player's character and/or party through a level-up system (in layman's terms, a role-playing game)?
In terms of RPG doesn't always mean... that. I think your to used to Fallout.

EDIT: So what I'm trying to say is, people are caring more about their hats and lovely little vintage weapons more than their actaully fps skill... or what ever you call it. (kdr)
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Lozza wrote:In terms of RPG doesn't always mean... that. I think your to used to Fallout.
Iiiiiiiii'm pretty sure it DOES mean that. I've never played Fallout. I actually tried to make a blanket definition that would describe KotOR, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Warcraft, World of Warcraft, Runescape, Maple's Story, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (or Partners in Time or Bowser's Inside Story), Paper Mario, Dungeons and Dragons, and even the pen and paper RPGs that one would play in their mother's basement.
Lozza wrote:EDIT: So what I'm trying to say is, people are caring more about their hats and lovely little vintage weapons more than their actaully fps skill... or what ever you call it. (kdr)
It's not that EVERYONE cares about hats or vintage items. TF2's community has its fair share of "try-hards" that want nothing more than the highest score possible/all the achievements. But the collection thing is just something fun. A personal "achievement" (bragging rights) to say "I have all vintage weapons" or "I have one of the rarest hats in the game." Honestly, when I play I only hear one or two people in the server looking to trade at all. Unless you go to an achievement farming server/idling server, in which case, yes, EVERYONE wants to trade.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Just because 12-year-old idiots are in it for hats doesn't mean it's an rpg. It's a multiplayer first-person shooter with collectible elements. The whole game would have to be recoded to make it an MMORPG.

Good day sir.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I'm not quite sure what it is now, but I'm sure of one thing. The current TF2 is not what I wanted from the TF2 from 3 years ago.

Sure, it is a decent game still, but I don't want all of that (Hats, trading, etc.) in TF2. I can get it other games. I want TF2 to be a pretty simple and easy to learn team based shooter, not some incredibly complex test of willpower and devotion that requires social skills over gaming skills.
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

Fingerfood wrote:I'm not quite sure what it is now, but I'm sure of one thing. The current TF2 is not what I wanted from the TF2 from 3 years ago.

Sure, it is a decent game still, but I don't want all of that (Hats, trading, etc.) in TF2. I can get it other games. I want TF2 to be a pretty simple and easy to learn team based shooter, not some incredibly complex test of willpower and devotion that requires social skills over gaming skills.
All what I wrote was meant to say this.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

I find the hats and etc hilarious. Grant it the original tf2 was great and kinda of goofy. Now this is off the charts. The additions of weapons, grant some not balanced, are great. I love those and De Groot. I think the community in large went off the deep end with hats, trading, etc. It's quite sad, but whatever. I don't care of hats, sometimes I just scrap them for weapons I dont have yet. I have enough hats to cover the classes I want. Some I don't want a hat on them like soldier.

I still love tf2 and will play it. I think if you play the beta you get more of an original tf2 feel. But it'd be nice if the servers had the option to be vanilla.
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

Well.... if people are looking for a job online, sell your hats. I just sold an unusual hat for 60 bucks. Thats how much people pay on virtual items. Its pretty funny, I just 'unboxed' 60 bucks :mrgreen:
Delta 47
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: BioShock
xbox live or psn: Delta811

Post by Delta 47 »

No, even with all of the hats and crap its still not even close to being an RPG. Sure, I'm sick of all of the hats and stuff too, and really, did they have to add the Mann Co. Store? I mean seriously, I laughed when I first saw it announced and even more when I looked at it in-game. The prices are outrageous and the game really is getting butchered.

Even though I've only been playing TF2 for a little over a year, I still remember what it was like even then. I wish Valve would just slow down with the updates and fix what they have. Man, they could have easily made TF3 with all of the updates they have packed into it. Oh well, guess I'll just have to live with it and keep my special L4D2 hat because I don't get into the trading and buying. Haha.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Can I say I called it? When Battlefield Heroes had a price increase update, and people went to play TF2, I told them it'd be just like BFH. Guess I win.
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

I can just tell with the way they're going their going to add ranks and stats.

New Unusual Hat

Unusual useless stat increase. Effect: Increases ammo by 5%.

Buy on pay-pal for 79.99
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Delta 47 wrote:I wish Valve would just slow down with the updates and fix what they have.
Actually they are doing that already, they are experimenting with ways to renew the game's balance through that TF2 beta thing.
Lozza wrote:I can just tell with the way they're going their going to add ranks and stats.

New Unusual Hat

Unusual useless stat increase. Effect: Increases ammo by 5%.

Buy on pay-pal for 79.99
I'm not going to say "this will never happen", because, well, I can't foresee the future and it may indeed happen someday, but so far, Valve hasn't been willing to cross that line. Recently they added some promotional flaming melee weapons based on a MMORPG or something, and these weapons do have their own unique stats, however, they will become craftable after the MMO is out, so you don't really have to pay anything to get them.

As for what I think about all of this manconomy thing: the trading itself isn't bad, I have a couple real-life friends who play TF2, and we like to trade our items amongst ourselves; sometimes we even make bets and stuff, so yeah, it can be a fun thing to have in the game. I never bought anything on the store, though, and I don't feel like doing it any time soon. I'll happily wear any cool hats I find, and I will attempt to trade things I don't want for something neat, but I won't go out of my way just to get a particle effect on my head.

That said, I don't think the Valve people are "sell outs", and I doubt they will do something crazy just to have our money, they have been reasonable so far.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Nihillo wrote:That said, I don't think the Valve people are "sell outs", and I doubt they will do something crazy just to have our money, they have been reasonable so far.
This.

Let's remember that the Mann-conomy Update was the first time the devs actually asked for money other than intially buying the game. Delta 47 compared all the updates to making TF2 into TF3, but keep in mind all these updates the past 3 years (going on 4) have been absolutely free. These are hard working people, most (if not all) of them gamers like us, and I think they deserve a little bit of voluntary payout from the community in recognition of what they're doing. No one's forcing you to buy anything. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the objects (save stamps and crate keys) can be found through the game's random drops or through crafting. The store is just a way for fans to get something in particular without having to rely on luck.
Hidden/Spoiler:
PS: The only hats that give you specific stat bonuses are the ploycount hats. And those hats are also the only hats that can be specifically crafted without having to rely on luck, just like weapons. No money involved.
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lozza »

That said, I don't think the Valve people are "sell outs", and I doubt they will do something crazy just to have our money, they have been reasonable so far.
I guess, I just don't understand why they make you pay like 3 dollars for a crappy weapon that you can find every 5 minutes you play...and 20 for a hat. I see adults play this game all the time... its money 'grabbing'.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Would you say that Call of Duty: Black Ops is an RPG?
I'm getting really annoyed at all the level grinding and prestiging and all that. All people want from that game is to show off a high prestige or level. I do like how the leveling was a way to show your progress through the game but I think they are going off the limits now. I remeber some guy was doing nother but levelgrinding for 210 hours on a normal gaming server.
I must admit that I spent some time level grinding myself but who hear thinks COD: Black OPs is more of an RPG game? Just interested in peoples opinion on the state of this game.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Bump Da Bump Da Bump Bump Bump,
Bump Da Bump Da Bump Bump Bump,
Bump Da Bump Da Bump Bump Bump BAH! Bump Bump DA Bump.

Anyway,
When you start getting into trying to define a video game to a specific, it can be hard sometimes.
The better question is not "is TF2/COD:BO a RPG?"
Its "What is an RPG to you"
A Role Playing Game, its just that, so if you follow a main character, and that character has a set number of tasks he or she must finish, then it is technically a RPG then.
Each MOH game I have played is a RPG, Frontline, Vanguard, European Assault, and my favorite Rising son. They are all RPGs because I am playing a soldier, he has his own name, and story, and I am just guiding him along that story.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

There is no loop hole for mini-modding if you put it in song format. Please let us do our job.