Team Fortress 2 = Free

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Team Fortress 2 = Free

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Which means there is no reason why you shouldn't get it, if you don't have it already (assuming your computer has the capabilities to do so, but it can run on pretty low graphics).

Honestly, it is probably one of the best basic team vs team fps games I've ever played. (I've played Left 4 Dead 2 and SWBFII more but that's a different story.) It's fun, funny, doesn't get old or boring (because they keep updating it with new content). Each class is a unique and comedic character that is fun to play. The cartoony art style is great. The maps and modes are great. Everything is great. Get this game.

If my rantings don't convince you, perhaps these will (Meet the pyro doesn't exist yet):
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Team Fortress 2 = Free

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Thanks Dann, I have always wanted to try it, but I didnt want to buy it. Now I will give it a dl. :)
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Meh, not for me. I played this once and a friend's and didn't care for it.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

CressAlbane wrote:Meh, not for me. I played this once and a friend's and didn't care for it.
This. It's one of those hardcore games. A casual player like me that only jumps into a shooter once a week due to lack of time gets smoked. Plus there was just something about the pacing that I didn't like - that's probably the same reason I hate Call of Duty.

Good news for anyone interested though. :thumbs:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Teancum wrote:
CressAlbane wrote:Meh, not for me. I played this once and a friend's and didn't care for it.
This. It's one of those hardcore games. A casual player like me that only jumps into a shooter once a week due to lack of time gets smoked. Plus there was just something about the pacing that I didn't like - that's probably the same reason I hate Call of Duty.

Well, can I join that club :P
My netbook cant handle the graphics. And on top of that it doesn't really seem to be my thing, BUT, I love all the "Meet the" videos, I hope they do Pyro soon to finish the set. Not a Call of Duty fan myself, I like the battlefield games.(and SWBF2 :P ).

Maybe if I get a better pc I will try it out.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

There disappointingly large amount of negativity in this thread.... :/

It's true, TF2 has a fanbase. It's true, it's kinda hard to get past the learning curve. But what *I* did is got it with a bunch of friend's when it was on sale for $5. Playing around in an empty server with a bunch of new guys can be a relatively enjoyable way to get into the game and figure out the basic mechanics before diving into the community. And now that it's free, every one of your friends that have a decent machine can play.

And after that, just don't get discouraged of your KDR isn't fantastic. Until you play a game A LOT, it's not going to be. I can understand if you've played before and it wasn't your cup of tea. But don't let those testimonies scare you away from at least TRYING what a lot of people (such as Dann, myself, and a whole lot of others) consider a really good class-based shooter.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Why won't you work TF2? Why must you keep crashing?

I, admittedly, have never played TF2. But Valve has done such a fantastic job marketing the game that I can't wait -for it to work on my computer... Grrr.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

About the learning curve, Valve adressed this issue in recent updates, there are training levels for 4 of the 9 classes already (with more coming eventually) and an offline practice mode, so if you really want to get good at it, you'll have plenty of opportunity to do so.

Being a "pro" is not what TF2 is about, though, it's a funny fun shooter where you can slap people with a fish and collect silly hats for no reason. You can still have fun even if you are doing badly.
Grev wrote:Why won't you work TF2? Why must you keep crashing?
Try the support page or the forums, you will probably find some help there.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

I just played for the first time in ages and did better than I've ever done. Is it possible that with the new crowd, the majority of the players are now worse?
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

GangsterJawa wrote:I just played for the first time in ages and did better than I've ever done. Is it possible that with the new crowd, the majority of the players are now worse?
Not worse, more like new. I have yet to hop on since the update.

I'm very confused on how TF2 plays like Call of Duty. I really don't see the link. If anything they're on opposite ends of the class based shooters. If you mean it's fast. It kinda is, but I feel like it's equivalent to Battlefield's rush mode. And there is no focus on K/D ratio. Minus arena mode.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

I went on today for just a little bit after not being on for a long time and I only tried out the practice stuff but it was still kinda fun. I'm thinking about getting on later today if any of you want to join me.

Btw, I know this is sorta off topic but does anyone know how to enable steam cloud on a Mac so I can look at my steam account while ingame?
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Nova Hawk wrote:I went on today for just a little bit after not being on for a long time and I only tried out the practice stuff but it was still kinda fun. I'm thinking about getting on later today if any of you want to join me.

Btw, I know this is sorta off topic but does anyone know how to enable steam cloud on a Mac so I can look at my steam account while ingame?
Tf2 has to be the most pure fun experience in an FPS I've had since Bf2 and SWBF2.

Steam/Setting/Downloads + CLOUD
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

TF2 is actually a very casual game for an fps. I can still play well without having to think too hard (or at all, I've played while watching TV) as there are classes that suit that mindset (pyro, soldier, etc.). I can safely say I hated the game the first week I had it, and thought I had wasted my money (this was way back). But after that I loved it. Adored it. Plus with the practice and training stuff they have now, that tiny learning curve is easy to get over, and you can easily get in the game. Once you do, you probably won't be able to put it down.

Giving it one or two plays will most likely not give you an accurate idea of whether you'd like the game or not. Play a little bit every now and then for a week or two and you'll get a much better idea of the game, once you understand how to play classes and play against other classes. Like Nihilo said, this isn't about being a pro at the game, like CoD4. You don't really brag about being really good at TF2 (you can get good at various classes in tf2, but that's besides the point). Most people don't even pay attention to the scoreboard, let alone kill/death and win/loss ratios. It's really just about playing around with the classes and completing/defending the objective on the map/mode you are on.

My recommendations to new players would be:
  • Play through the tutorials/practice stuff
  • Start with playing maps like Goldrush (which is Payload), Dustbowl (which is Attack/Defend Cps), and Badlands (which is symmetric Cps).
  • Avoid servers that are over 20 players. The game is designed and balanced for roughly 10 vs 10 games.
  • Start with Soldier, Heavy, or Pyro as those are probably the most straightforward classes. Once you get a better idea of how to play you can try out medic, demoman, sniper, engineer, and then maybe scout and spy.
  • If you have any friends that have the game, play with them!
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Amazing post Dann.

I'd like to add one other thing. There is this feature called Coaching or something like that. I don't know how it works exactly, but experienced players can help coach new players.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I might give it a download. I'm not an on-line gamer at all, but it could be fun to hop on a server with a few GT people and give it a whirl. I have plenty of free time over the summer, and the game is free, so I might as well try it. :)
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

It looks great I would love to dl it but it would max out my memory oh well :(
(does anyone know if its free for the xbox360 too?)
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Eggman wrote:but it could be fun to hop on a server with a few GT people and give it a whirl.
While it won't quite be as fun as the Minecraft server, since you kinda NEED more than one or two people on at a time to make TF2 fun, I'm working on learning the Source Dedicated Server software... if you guys are interested, I can see what I can do about putting a server up every now and again? Otherwise I'll just be using it for me and my family members to play together :P
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Eggman wrote:but it could be fun to hop on a server with a few GT people and give it a whirl.
While it won't quite be as fun as the Minecraft server, since you kinda NEED more than one or two people on at a time to make TF2 fun, I'm working on learning the Source Dedicated Server software... if you guys are interested, I can see what I can do about putting a server up every now and again? Otherwise I'll just be using it for me and my family members to play together :P
A server that is actually temporary? I WON'T HAVE IT.
:P

Got the game to work. Needless to say, when and if I record, I'll be singing.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Grev wrote:Needless to say, when and if I record, I'll be singing.
Heavy beat you to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNwvQXkYrY
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Heavy beat you to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNwvQXkYrY
That was amazing.

I'm up for playing in a GT server, I'll probably have massive lag issues, but whatever, let's do it.