How to Change Steam Font Size

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

How to Change Steam Font Size

Post by Fusion »

In the latest update, Steam's font size decided it wanted to be read from space. I did not like this. So, I looked around to see if this was an accident or something. Turns out it wasn't.

Here are some steps to return the font size back to the original, or really to anything you want:
1. Go to this folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\resource\styles" and find the file that says "steam.styles".
2. You will be prompted to open it with a program. Choose notepad or notepad++.
3. Use Ctrl+F, search for, "// styles for text used in RichText controls in various places".
4. Where it says "friends_chat_text" all the way to "friends_chat_securitylink", just replace all the instances of "font-size=16" with "font-size=14" (or whatever size you prefer).
5. Save the file and close it, then restart steam.
This should change it back to normal if you did it right. I'm not sure if this will go back to default every time you update, but if it does, you can always come back here and fix it again with these steps.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: How to Change Steam Font Size

Post by Marth8880 »

Huh, the font size was increased in my case.

Do you participate in the Steam Beta? (I do.)
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: How to Change Steam Font Size

Post by Fusion »

Mine was also increased, which is why I wrote, "can be seen from space," and the instructions were to change it from 16 to 14.

I'm not in the Steam Beta, this was a global change in the May 6th self-update.