Should I upload the source?

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Should I upload the source?

Post by RepSharpshooter »

I think it would be good to release the source, but I realize that a lot of different authors' work went into this project, so I'm wondering what the general consensus on this matter would be.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Should I upload the source?

Post by Teancum »

I'd say yes. At this point in SWBF2's life having more options available to build new maps always helps keep the community strong.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I agree with Tean. I didn't really contribute anything, so my opinion is only worth so much, but I'd definitely be interested in having the source available. If you aren't able to get permission from some authors to release the models they created for their lots, you could always release the source minus those models.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Meh, I'm fine with my lot being released. I believe some lots used exclusive custom assets, but most other assets used have already been released, so I don't think it will make much that of a difference with more options for the modding community. Who knows, though.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I don't know if only people who worked on the project have the right to have a vote, but if it's okay, here's my two cents.

It would be kinda nice if the whole source was given to someone (maybe AQT or someone trustworthy like that). I came way too late to contribute to the project, but I'd be nice to do so now. I wish I had gotten into modding earlier, I constantly feel like the odd man out since I arrived so late (and because I'm wierd). Meh. :lol:

Releasing all the assets would be nice, but I can understand if certain contributors don't want their assets released. Thus my above option of only giving the whole source to one person.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Yeah, if it was to be given to a certain person to make an updated version I'd be okay with it, but I'd want to update my models anyway, so meh.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Ok, it's seeming like it'd be a good idea to upload the source. My reason is that I don't want to hang on to the source forever if anyone ever wanted to do something with it, and I wasn't available. However, there's still some people who did a lot of custom work that I haven't heard from, so I think I will still wait it out a bit more.
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

I'm ok with mine being out there. :D
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by General_Nate »

Please do. I will never be able to mod BFII again, because I cannot get it to re-install.

All my work that is with the DMI I have no problem being released.