MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

MandeRek´s Nightmare.. has come true

Post by MandeRek »

Yesterday, 28th of July, my computer froze when doing some reweighting for Caleb, and after fixing the Terra Sool Militia Fighter. The computer though, won´t restart. 2 years of modding, a year of active working on things for BF0 (even before BF0 was actually a fact) are ALL on that computer. This includes my files, meaning for BF0 only:

-Tatooine; Mos Gamos, source files AND finished, munged world files
-Mygeeto; Hell's Ashes, source files AND finished, munged world files
-Jabiim; Attack Shelter Base, source files AND finished, munged world files
-Geonosis; Arena, source files AND finished, munged world files
-All heroes, just every single file of them
-All vehicles, every single file. Though FragMe! might still have my Tridroid
-Galactic Marines
-187th Legion

Wazzie still has the ARC Troopers, the CIS, and i hope the world sources too! If not Waz, send me the ***.lvl file, meaning the munged world level to me, since i can remember all luas by heart, meaning i can rebuilt them. Also, if you've still got TMG Waz, send me too.

I hope the repairers can save my files. If not.. I don't wanna think about that. I'll just continue with BF0, I've got another computer here, and I'm just starting a new map, and will add it to Zero if it's still there, if not, i need to redo the files i did. Most things from other members will be backuped i hoped.. Funny thing i wanted to upload v.0.9 yesterday..

I've locked all my topics till i know more from Acer..

Thanks for reading
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Re: MandeRek´s Nightmare.. has come true

Post by The_Emperor »

Ouch... just ouch
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

I think i know why you say that Emp.. Because you´re dutch. And the dutch techs are terrible! 'What's up with this one? Something with a drive..' 'Just reset everything..' and goodbye files! I'm going to a small store which isn't related to Acer or Windows, and I'll ask if he can see what's wrong, maybe he can even implent my HD somewhere else and backup all files..

For BF0 this might be bad.. I just need the relieving pm of Wazzie that he has the maps.. The maps are most important, those heroes were my work since i started moddeling, but they, for now, were only usable in assault..
Bantha55
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Bantha55 »

Oh, that sounds terrible... I know exactly what it´s like. Some days ago i wanted to release a beta of my hoth but there was a last thing to fix so i decided to finish it at the next day. the next day my computer made strange sounds and crashed. A power cable was damaged. The computerman comes tomorrow, i hope he can repair my pc... I hope your computer can be repaired and your files can be backuped, too. Your Mod lookes so amazing... It would be really sad if that was the end...
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

What exactly do you mean when you say it won't restart? It hangs on restart from a missing file, or it won't physically turn on? I can talk you through it if you have a Win XP cd. You can restore the computer for the most part. You may lose the registry links to installed programs (and will have to reinstall them) but not the data itself.

I wouldn't give up hope. I've been working on computers for a long time. Rarely is one damaged beyond an easy repair.
PhantoM

Post by PhantoM »

Well that sucks. I had something like that happen a few years ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it. :(
wazmol
High General
High General
Projects :: Thinking...
Games I'm Playing :: Black Ops

Post by wazmol »

Annoucement:
This mod will live on.

I have already started to make a new Jabiim map, Geo arena source was saved still on my PC.

Things we actually have lost:
- 187th Legion
- MandeReks Amazing Heroes
- All Vehicles
- Galactic Marines
- Mygeeto: Hells Ashes
- Tatooine: Mos Gamos
- Jabiim: Attack on Shelter Base
- All localisations

Things still safe:
- 501st Legion
- ARC Troopers
- Geonosis: Arena
- Battle over Muunilinst
- Tatooines .LUA

What I can do to help repair as much as possible:
- I can use my 501st as a base setup for the 187th, if MandeRek can make the skins
- I can make the Galactic Marines, off of the same 501st base setup

Things that we will have to do, from scratch:
- Jabiim: Attack on Shelter Base
- Mygeeto: Hells Ashes
- Tatooine: Mos Gamos
- MandeReks Heroes
- MandeReks Vehicles (however, i still have the Tri-Droids source model.)
- Localisations

This post was to clear things up with members and fans here at GT.

(If MandeRek does manage to get his HD back and in one piece, there is nothing to worry about...)
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

All the links on the locked topics rediredt to

Code: Select all

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14884
instead of

Code: Select all

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14885
wazmol
High General
High General

Post by wazmol »

I'll get manderek to sort that out when he comes online.
Delta 47
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: BioShock
xbox live or psn: Delta811

Post by Delta 47 »

Sorry to hear that I hope you can recover the files because that can be an awful mess of reskining, modeling, and mapping. You should always have a backup of files. Some of my important files I upload to my Filefront Profile and lock the files :wink:
(RAPTOR)BENSTWO{SGT}
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by (RAPTOR)BENSTWO{SGT} »

Wow I can just picture how angry you must be right now. :cry: Hope you can recover the files. Good luck.
Super_Clone
High General
High General

Post by Super_Clone »

(RAPTOR)BENSTWO{SGT} wrote:Wow I can just picture how angry you must be right now. :cry: Hope you can recover the files. Good luck.
i second that
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

!!! This calls for sleepless nights! If it were some run-of-the-mill modder who didn't make major mods, I'd say, okay, the files are gone for some things. Big whoop. But THIS, plus all of your great models, oh [Diet Dr. Pepper]!
tylerman29
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: LoL SWBFII

Post by tylerman29 »

:faint: "wanted to upload v.0.9 yesterday.." :shock: wow bad timing....good luck gettin everything back man :|
wazmol
High General
High General

Post by wazmol »

Update on the situation...

I have not yet spoken to MandeRek, as i believe his access to a PC is very limited at the moment, however i have some news for him and you guys:

-Galactic Marines are finished, they are built off of my 501st side so they should work out to be pretty cool.

-The 187th legion, like the galactic marines are built off of my 501st side. However, i am still waiting for skins from MandeRek, but other than that everything is fine.

- Jabiims models have been recovered on my PC and i have already finished the Terrain on Jabiim. That includes all brand-new textures. Varied terrain. To be honest, the terrain is better than the other Jabiim.

I am still hoping that MandeRek can get hes files back, however i have started to do as much as i can on my own...
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Ladies and gentlemen,

sorry to keep you waiting.. I've, myself, saved all MUNGED files, meaning the heroes, the Galactic Marines, the 4 worlds, the 187th and the vehicles are saved! :D The only thing now, is that we can't edit mesh files anymore, the rest is still editable through scripts and extra .lvls. Men, I'm happy! I opened my computer and saw a disk-driver/summin wasn't stuck to it's other part, so i pushed it in. Then i used a recovery CD, meaning my C drive is reseted, but the D isn't..

This means all my XSI SCENES, AND THE BF2_MODTOOLS folder is gone, but i still have the munged ZER folder. I'm know rewriting the world's scripts, it's amazing what you can edit through scripts! :D

I thank my best buddy Waz for all work he did in this short, shocking period, and if he has made improvements on the things I've got, he can send them to me offcourse! This topic is locked now, the thing for me is redoing the localisations and scripts, and I'll get a topic with things from me which are new soon!

Thanks GT, thanks Wazmol.. Now i need to find my XSI code :P
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

For future reference, when your computer dies (unless the hard drive is making scratching sounds. I said scratching, not clicking...) you can normally and easily recover the files and do it all for free. Download a recovery CD: something like RIP or INSERT. Burn that to a disk, and boot your computer from it. The computer will boot off the CD and into a version of Linux filled with recovery tools.

From there, if you can see your files, copy them to an external drive (USB key, burn to a dvd, etc...). If your hard drive's partitions are damaged/missing, TestDisk is the tool to use to restore them.

After you get your important files off it, then you can think about fixing Windows. The recovery CDs don't touch your hard drives unless you tell them to. They are completely no-risk. You can even boot one now to see what it would look like. And I recommend that too.

I've done about 13-14 recoveries so far. Never had one where I lost much. Of course, those are all mostly because I use cheap drives and keep using them for years and years (have a 512MB drive plugged into my server right now).

Edit: Glad you only had a lose plug. Might want to think of something like using electrical tape to prevent it from happening again. Before you change too much on the hard drive (and risk overwriting your files) you might want to take a look at TestDisk. It should be able to detect your old partition layout. You can view it and its files, then determine if you want to restore those partitions. If you choose to restore them, you can get your D drive back. Copy the files, then fix Windows again.

Edit 2: Umm did I post before or after the lock, or did I mistakingly lock it? Unlocking it as I don't know...
redgroupclan
High General
High General
Location: For less cheap gameplay - BF2 v1.1 server "NoEngineersAntiGlitch"

Post by redgroupclan »

Whew when I read the first post I just about had a heart attack! Glad to hear you were able to save things, tho! I can still feel my heart racing from the scare...
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Thanks for advice Zerted, I'll look into these files. Modding is the main imported thing on my pc, and I'll backup my files and folders every month, on a disc.. Thanks again, for all advice, and locking because it was locked ;)

:D

Btw: How do you UNlock topics?? I need to unlock the others from this forum ^^
There you go. For future reference it's the little dropdown list at the end of the thread. -Staff