Grand Army of the Republic (Legion and unit overview)

Discuss the new Battlefront Zer0 mod.

Moderator: Moderators

MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Grand Army of the Republic (Legion and unit overview)

Post by MandeRek »

Xavious wrote:Ah, I was assuming he meant a custom 501st side. In that case, if he meant including the stock Clone Wars era, I still think that would add to the mission count unnecessarily. The BF0 sides (especially the clones) play mostly the same as, or similarily to the stock sides.
I must second that for some reason. I'm doing a new era, can't give too much explanation since it'ld be a suprise, but it features Clone Wars too, and Republic, for now, uses the same sides as the ones in stock BF0.. I might make 501st the republic side for that, if people really adore the 501st for some reason..
Faceman2000
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: If the words above my head says, "offline", than I'm not here.

Post by Faceman2000 »

Just don't bother with the the 501at. It's not worth it.
And there first canon appearance was Survivors Quest by Timothy Zahn. Good book.
Devastator77
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Location: Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Post by Devastator77 »

I agree, the 501st isn't necessary, BF0 legions will do fine. The BF0 legions are more unique and fit in with the maps nicely.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

I redid the first topic again, finally all info you need, no more neccessary. Also, I added 'Special Classes'. These are the middle ones in all pics, right ones are commanders, 1st ones are the standard trooper (on which is variated, with kamas, pauldrons etc.)
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Wow, nice update on the skins. But may I ask as why the ARF trooper has a chaingun? They had the smaller DC-15 rifle in the episode. Same with Cody, I'm pretty sure he had the smaller rifle.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Hmm, the Recon Trooper has a disguise kit? How does that work? I mean, how can a man disguise himself as a B1 droid?

I liked the update as well, you got some nice skins and weapon setups there Mande, I specially like Fordo's ability to dual wield both a Carbine and Pistol. :thumbs:
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

Nihillo wrote:Hmm, the Recon Trooper has a disguise kit? How does that work? I mean, how can a man disguise himself as a B1 droid?
Right, it's impossible to me. Stealth would fit better.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

rename disquise kit to holoshroud? would that make more sense?
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

kinetosimpetus wrote:rename disquise kit to holoshroud? would that make more sense?
Say, wouldn't the clone disguised as a battle droid have an odd appeareance due to his human animations?

NOTE: I do not know all of the details of how a Disguise Kit works in SWBF2, I have a vague knowledge based on observations, logic and things I "overheard."
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Nihillo wrote:
kinetosimpetus wrote:rename disquise kit to holoshroud? would that make more sense?
Say, wouldn't the clone disguised as a battle droid have an odd appeareance due to his human animations?

NOTE: I do not know all of the details of how a Disguise Kit works in SWBF2, I have a vague knowledge based on observations, logic and things I "overheard."
I was wondering the same thing, B-droids have other skeletons, right? And the disguise kit takes over the model, not the skeleton...
JackTHorn
Private

Post by JackTHorn »

Wow! This is my first time really looking at this, and I'm rather astounded. Not only some really good, creative ideas, but actually there's a lot of map and unit ideas here that I've been planning out for some time, and thought I was the only one! Great minds think alike. Maybe I'll just send you my notes, if there's interest, since you're a lot further along on actually doing something than I am (my computer currently won't run the mod tools).

Let's see, comments and questions in specific on the GAR and Legions:

Is the Clone Medic's "Medical Treatment" basically similar to the stock Bothan regenerate buff?

I like that you did Ghost Company, I'd been planning them out too... the first unit with the faded orange markings, I assume that's for troopers like Waxer and Boil? And yeah, I think the rest of Ghost Company are just plain white phase-1 troopers, though I had considered putting really thin orange lines in just a couple of places.

I have to say, I don't like the bright green and bright white on the ARF Troopers, though aside from coloring I think they look great -- I'd recommend something in more of a muted olives and grays, like the picture from the Ryloth Lessu episode here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Recontrooper.jpg Plus, the mouthpiece markings look weird in black and white, they make him look like a cartoon dog! I'd do a gray with lines in slightly darker gray.

Finally, I don't think Commander Ponds was part of Ghost Company, or even the 212th; I'm pretty sure he was part of Mace Windu's 187th (with the red-brown markings instead of purple like the rest of the 187th). I know the ARF Troopers at Lessu on Ryloth were part of the 187th -- Lightning Squadron. The ARF Troopers for the 212th (at Nabat) were actually Waxer and Boil, though they didn't wear the scout-type helmets worn by Lightning Squadron ARFs.

Since the ARF Troopers are focused on recon and information-gathering rather than attacking and offensive infiltration, I had planned to give them a limited Stealth, Recon Droids, Sniper Rifles, and Blaster Rifles. If you wanted them powered up a bit, you could give them a more powerful Blaster Rifle, certainly. The chaingun seems fine to me too, though, if you want to make them a more high-powered unit for their side -- chainguns are listed as typical weapons for ARF Troopers, after all! (ref: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ARF_trooper)

I like your 327th, too, looks good! I would agree with those who say they should all have kama, though. And pauldrons. If you're worried about differentiating the regular Sky Corps troopers from Commander Bly, you could just make the color of the kama different -- say, a lighter grayish-tan for the regular troops, and a darker brown-tan for Bly. It is canon for them to all have kama, though: "The troops of the 327th Star Corps were distinguished by striped yellow markings running the length of their armor and, as a result of Clone Marshal Commander Bly's ARC training, his troopers were allowed to don kamas and command pauldrons." (ref: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/327th_Star_Corps)

I'd also agree with those who said that the Clone Recon Trooper would make more sense with Stealth, rather than a Disguise Kit. The main reason the BX Commando Droids could have a disguise kit was because they were built to fit inside clone armor. Isn't a Recon Trooper basically the same thing as an ARC (Advanced Recon Commando) or an ARF (Advanced Recon Fighter)? Seems like the ARF is just an ARC who doesn't focus on assault combat as much.

The 21st Nova Galactic Marine BARC Trooper looks great, it's a really creative skin -- am I correct in assuming that's a creation of your own, or is that taken from something I haven't seen? Looks good, either way, I like the emphasis on the green visor lens.

And great work on the 187th, I really like them. The purple visor on the Jet Trooper is a nice touch. I seem to recall the 187th Clone Commander having more purple markings than you're showing here, though -- yes, it looks like there's purple on his kneecaps, the backs of his hands, and across the top of his chestplate, and a little on the mouthpiece of his helmet. (ref: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:187thLeader.jpg)

Again, GREAT work! Looks awesome, I'll be installing it and trying it out later today.

(Ed. to add the chaingun bit for the ARFs, and to distinguish between the Lessu and Nabat ARFs)
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

JackTHorn wrote:Wow! This is my first time really looking at this, and I'm rather astounded. Not only some really good, creative ideas, but actually there's a lot of map and unit ideas here that I've been planning out for some time, and thought I was the only one! Great minds think alike. Maybe I'll just send you my notes, if there's interest, since you're a lot further along on actually doing something than I am (my computer currently won't run the mod tools).
Thanks for the nice comment, I don't think I'll really need your notes, I'd this all planned before I started and all other Republic addons from now will all be sort of the same
Let's see, comments and questions in specific on the GAR and Legions:

Is the Clone Medic's "Medical Treatment" basically similar to the stock Bothan regenerate buff?
Yes, it is
I like that you did Ghost Company, I'd been planning them out too... the first unit with the faded orange markings, I assume that's for troopers like Waxer and Boil? And yeah, I think the rest of Ghost Company are just plain white phase-1 troopers, though I had considered putting really thin orange lines in just a couple of places.
There were different marks on all Clone Troopers, if I recall it correctly. This would give me unlimited improvisation in the skin I guess? I don't want the skin to be like Waxer or Boil, or any other known Ghost Company member since it's a class
I have to say, I don't like the bright green and bright white on the ARF Troopers, though aside from coloring I think they look great -- I'd recommend something in more of a muted olives and grays, like the picture from the Ryloth Lessu episode here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Recontrooper.jpg Plus, the mouthpiece markings look weird in black and white, they make him look like a cartoon dog! I'd do a gray with lines in slightly darker gray.
I personally think they look just fine, but thanks for the remark
Finally, I don't think Commander Ponds was part of Ghost Company, or even the 212th; I'm pretty sure he was part of Mace Windu's 187th (with the red-brown markings instead of purple like the rest of the 187th). I know the ARF Troopers at Lessu on Ryloth were part of the 187th -- Lightning Squadron. The ARF Troopers for the 212th (at Nabat) were actually Waxer and Boil, though they didn't wear the scout-type helmets worn by Lightning Squadron ARFs.
I do know that Ponds wasn't member of 187th, but did I ever say all Republic classes on Ryloth are from Ghost Company? Then I was obviously wrong. Ponds did participate in the battle, which is why I've decided to include him
Since the ARF Troopers are focused on recon and information-gathering rather than attacking and offensive infiltration, I had planned to give them a limited Stealth, Recon Droids, Sniper Rifles, and Blaster Rifles. If you wanted them powered up a bit, you could give them a more powerful Blaster Rifle, certainly. The chaingun seems fine to me too, though, if you want to make them a more high-powered unit for their side -- chainguns are listed as typical weapons for ARF Troopers, after all! (ref: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ARF_trooper)
Qft
I like your 327th, too, looks good! I would agree with those who say they should all have kama, though. And pauldrons. If you're worried about differentiating the regular Sky Corps troopers from Commander Bly, you could just make the color of the kama different -- say, a lighter grayish-tan for the regular troops, and a darker brown-tan for Bly. It is canon for them to all have kama, though: "The troops of the 327th Star Corps were distinguished by striped yellow markings running the length of their armor and, as a result of Clone Marshal Commander Bly's ARC training, his troopers were allowed to don kamas and command pauldrons." (ref: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/327th_Star_Corps)
Did I just read '...his troopers were allowed to...' which means "they don't need to wear a kama/pauldron at all, they can if they want though"?
I'd also agree with those who said that the Clone Recon Trooper would make more sense with Stealth, rather than a Disguise Kit. The main reason the BX Commando Droids could have a disguise kit was because they were built to fit inside clone armor. Isn't a Recon Trooper basically the same thing as an ARC (Advanced Recon Commando) or an ARF (Advanced Recon Fighter)? Seems like the ARF is just an ARC who doesn't focus on assault combat as much.
Yeah they're basicly the same also in this mod, only no ARC or ARF has stealth abilities
The 21st Nova Galactic Marine BARC Trooper looks great, it's a really creative skin -- am I correct in assuming that's a creation of your own, or is that taken from something I haven't seen? Looks good, either way, I like the emphasis on the green visor lens.
Thanks a lot, it was indeed a creation of my own, I hope people don't mind too much
And great work on the 187th, I really like them. The purple visor on the Jet Trooper is a nice touch. I seem to recall the 187th Clone Commander having more purple markings than you're showing here, though -- yes, it looks like there's purple on his kneecaps, the backs of his hands, and across the top of his chestplate, and a little on the mouthpiece of his helmet. (ref: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:187thLeader.jpg)
You're probably right, but this skin was originally skinned with Keller as reference, if I recall that correctly
Again, GREAT work! Looks awesome, I'll be installing it and trying it out later today.
Thanks for your opinion
JackTHorn
Private

Post by JackTHorn »

So I played some of the current BF0 maps, and I was even more impressed than I thought I'd be. When I've played more I'll try to give more detailed reviews.

MandeRek wrote:I'd this all planned before I started...
Yeah, after playing some of the current BF0 maps, I realize it's all much further along than I'd thought! Again, all very well done, all you BF0 folks. =)

MandeRek wrote:There were different marks on all Clone Troopers, if I recall it correctly. This would give me unlimited improvisation in the skin I guess?
Not sure I get what you mean here -- I think that, as I understand it, the only markings on Phase-1 clone troopers were by rank (blue=Lieutenants, Green=Sergeants, red=Captains, gold=Commanders). Though I guess the CGI series gives some precedent for other changes -- for instance, Captain Rex kept his blue Lieutenant stripes in deference to his Legion instead of taking the Captain's red. And Waxer and Boil's orange markings don't fit the rank system at all. Hm. *shrug*

MandeRek wrote:I don't want the skin to be like Waxer or Boil, or any other known Ghost Company member since it's a class
Yeah, I can understand that. However, I always assumed that the reason Waxer and Boil wore that orange-marked armor was because they were Ghost Company's ARF Troopers; so you could say that it actually is a class, rather than individuals.

MandeRek wrote:
JackTHorn wrote:I have to say, I don't like the bright green and bright white on the ARF Troopers... I'd recommend something in more of a muted olives and grays, like the picture from the Ryloth Lessu episode...
I personally think they look just fine, but thanks for the remark
Sure, it's all down to aesthetics -- there's no accounting for taste, as they say. And they look fine, just really bright, and not much like the Lightning Squad ARF Troopers who Mace led on the assault on Lessu -- which is what I assume you were going for. Just so you know, BIG_Cookie made/put together an ARF Trooper skin that's just about perfect for Lightning Squad, found here: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 64&t=21002

MandeRek wrote:
JackTHorn wrote:I don't think Commander Ponds was part of Ghost Company, or even the 212th; I'm pretty sure he was part of Mace Windu's 187th (with the red-brown markings instead of purple like the rest of the 187th).
I do know that Ponds wasn't member of 187th
How do you know, if you don't mind my asking? Seems like if they're part of the legion that Mace Windu led, and it's after the Battle of Dantooine when Mace first took command of the 187th, that anyone in Windu's command would be part of the 187th. Of course, they've been a little vague on the 187th, and maybe you have information I've missed?

MandeRek wrote:...did I ever say all Republic classes on Ryloth are from Ghost Company? Then I was obviously wrong. Ponds did participate in the battle, which is why I've decided to include him
Actually, now that I look, you never did say that. I think I was just going by the fact that the picture of the four Ryloth units was given the name "ghostcompany.jpg", which really means nothing. My mistake! And don't get me wrong, I'm glad you included him. I've much wanted to see Ponds included in something, and this is a great choice for a setting for that inclusion. =)

MandeRek wrote:'...(Bly's) troopers were allowed to...' which means "they don't need to wear a kama/pauldron at all, they can if they want though"?
True enough, good point. =)

MandeRek wrote:
JackTHorn wrote:The 21st Nova Galactic Marine BARC Trooper looks great -- am I correct in assuming that's a creation of your own, or is that taken from something I haven't seen?
Thanks a lot, it was indeed a creation of my own, I hope people don't mind too much
I like it a lot.

MandeRek wrote:
JackTHorn wrote:And great work on the 187th, I really like them. ...the 187th Clone Commander...
...this skin was originally skinned with Keller as reference, if I recall that correctly
Not sure what you mean by this -- was the skin originally intended to be a Commander Keller skin?

Either way, whether you get the other little purple details added in or not, it looks great, glad to see it. One of my favorite legions, and now they've got some representation. =)

Again, well done! And thanks for your responses.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

JackTHorn wrote:Yeah, I can understand that. However, I always assumed that the reason Waxer and Boil wore that orange-marked armor was because they were Ghost Company's ARF Troopers; so you could say that it actually is a class, rather than individuals.
You're probably right, although they do not share the exact same markings, and there were others like them too, if i remember the episode correctly? From there I decided the orange markings could be whatever I like
JackTHorn wrote:How do you know, if you don't mind my asking? Seems like if they're part of the legion that Mace Windu led, and it's after the Battle of Dantooine when Mace first took command of the 187th, that anyone in Windu's command would be part of the 187th. Of course, they've been a little vague on the 187th, and maybe you have information I've missed?
Sorry that was a wrong sentence, I meant that I do know, that Ponds isn't Ghost Company or 212th

Thanks for your nice review, the next version will be much better -- in my opinion at least -- and it will feature more (weapons, classes, even legions) :thumbs:
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: I would like one.....
Location: Ride around the world! And I won't give you anything :P

Post by CodaRez »

MandeRek wrote: the next version will be much better -- in my opinion at least -- and it will feature more (weapons, classes, even legions) :thumbs:
And no award weapon glitch 8)

(sry couldnt resist :P )