Dark Space Campaign - Brainstorming Settings/Missions

Work-in-progress and discussion for the "Last Days" map pack.

Moderator: Moderators

lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Dark Space Campaign - Brainstorming Settings/Missions

Post by lucasfart »

Sky_216 wrote:
lucasfart wrote:
Deviss wrote:maybe kill a VIP kept by magnaguards?
That seems like a bit of a copy off Mav's one, and although Sky can use it if he wants, i don't really enjoy things that aren't unique, besides it was Mav's idea first :wink:
While I'd be the first to admit I've "borrowed" quite a few of Mav's ideas, calling that Mav's idea is just plain silly. "Kill an elite unit defended by other units" is hardly original, me and several other people suggested it (think I reffered to it as assassination), Bf0 uses it for the zero squad missions. Mav is just (afaik) the first one to implement it as a seperate mode.
True. Sorry about that, my mistake.
chubber
Private

More Ideas

Post by chubber »

I think It would be really cool if there was a map that originally is divided in two by a wall or whatever and only has one passageway through. The passageway is guarded by many extremely powerful units that can hold the small entrance easily. The player's mission is to reach a power generater and turn it on (not destroying it for a change) with an engineer. Doing that opens other doors into the area guarded by the powerful units and calls in hundreds of men so that your side literally can swarm the powerful door guards. BTW the way to the power generator should be guarded by some types of units and the player should have to fight his way through them to turn it on. And, just so that the player does not have to play as an engineer while fighting his way to the generator there should be a cp at the generator so that the player can switch classes to an engineer.

After the guarded area is overrun by the player's soldiers there should be a battle between two big armies, etc. I envision this scenario to take place on a mustafar-type map.
negah
Corporal
Corporal

Post by negah »

You could make indstead of droids some sort of militia type enemy, for some counter revolutionary scenario.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

I like. Clones fighting actual people with brains. People who aren't all the same. Makes the Clones seem like the bad guys, which isn't always a bad thing. Adds more depth to the Clone Wars.

EDIT: Maybe make it go a step further-have the Republic take civilian prisoners? That would be an interesting scenario if you could pull it off. Love what you have already done so far.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

How about an air-raid combined with a tactical para-drop, seen from the perspective of the defenders on the ground?

The player and his troops would be defending an important shield generator that powers the planetary shield... or something, this location would be heavily fortified (a fort-like place) with anti-air cannons (Mygeeto Turrets) stationary turrets and some ceiling auto-turrets.

Enemy forces would move in by "air", meaning that they are Jet Troopers/Jet Droids/something that can fly, they would land in peripheral outposts and overrun light defenses, meanhwhile the strike bombers would keep putting holes right in the middle of your forces.

Objectives:
1. "Enemy bombers spotted from [direction], get to an anti-air cannon and take them down" [Destroy X number of moderately slow moving enemy bombers]
2. "A group of drop troopers/droids/whatever has landed in *name of undefended position*, rally your squad and reinforce that area
[Capture CP A]
3. "Strike bomber, incoming! "
[Retreat to a nearby safe spot in the map under a 12-ish seconds time limit]
-First wave is defeated; small pause-
4. "A squadron of drop troopers/droids/whatever took out the communications array on CP G, get an engineer and repair it"
[Capture CP G and repair the damaged equipment]
-Second wave arrives with a BANG-
5. "Strike bombers are headed your way, activate the deflector shields to fend off their attacks and fall back to the generator.
[Repair little gizmo within a 30 seconds time limit and retreat to your starting area]
6. "A group of commandos has penetrated our defenses, they are planting detonation charges on the generator's critical systems, stop them!"
[Kill commandos and defuse detonation charges (with a fusion cutter); time limit of 2 minutes]

Then they would say something like "thank you, we can take it from here", the assault on the generator would continue, but thanks to the player's efforts, victory would be guaranteed.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Sky_216 »

Lil update:

Since I've now got a (near) perfect work-around for the "player sliding off moving platforms thing" - you now stay on them when moving, suggestions for platforming segments are welcome. :)
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Sky_216 wrote:Since I've now got a (near) perfect work-around for the "player sliding off moving platforms thing" - you now stay on them when moving, suggestions for platforming segments are welcome. :)
The mission starts with the player crawling away from the wreck of a transport that has crash-landed on the rooftop of a building in the industrial district of a Coruscant-like place (Myddria?), he must navigate the steep edges, avoid steam vents and exposed electrical conduits and find a way inside the building, just to find out that it is a weapons manufacturing factory, his next objective is to modify the programming of the automated workers (that also double as security droids...) so that the products are flawed. Then, the player must make his escape.

Reconnaissance mission on an asteroid/moon (Ellera Prime?), large craters and gaps serve as obstacles in the player's path, fortunately the gravity is low/non-existent and the player jumps very high, though controlling the trajectory of these jumps to land in a safe spot is a challenge in itself. Player finds out about a backwater outpost in the asteroid/moon, calls in reinforcements, a battle ensues.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Sky_216 »

Nihillo wrote:
Sky_216 wrote:Since I've now got a (near) perfect work-around for the "player sliding off moving platforms thing" - you now stay on them when moving, suggestions for platforming segments are welcome. :)
The mission starts with the player crawling away from the wreck of a transport that has crash-landed on the rooftop of a building in the industrial district of a Coruscant-like place (Myddria?), he must navigate the steep edges, avoid steam vents and exposed electrical conduits and find a way inside the building, just to find out that it is a weapons manufacturing factory, his next objective is to modify the programming of the automated workers (that also double as security droids...) so that the products are flawed. Then, the player must make his escape.

Reconnaissance mission on an asteroid/moon (Ellera Prime?), large craters and gaps serve as obstacles in the player's path, fortunately the gravity is low/non-existent and the player jumps very high, though controlling the trajectory of these jumps to land in a safe spot is a challenge in itself. Player finds out about a backwater outpost in the asteroid/moon, calls in reinforcements, a battle ensues.
Like the first one, the second one can't be done as low gravity since there's no way to lower the gravity for units.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Sky_216 wrote:Like the first one, the second one can't be done as low gravity since there's no way to lower the gravity for units.
Can't you increase the player's jumping capability to give the illusion of low gravity? Well, actually jumping controls in Battlefront II are stiff, I imagine that sort of gameplay would be more annoying than challenging, so yeah... not my best idea anyways. :P
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

Sky_216 wrote:Like the first one, the second one can't be done as low gravity since there's no way to lower the gravity for units.
But you can adjust the jump height, and imitate the lack of gravity by slowing down the walk/run speed.
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by jangoisbaddest »

Eggman wrote:
Skyhammer_216 wrote:
DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:or a battle where you are in the gunner position in the vehicle and have to kill enemys while it walks/flys/hovers
definitely doing that, only difference is it'll technically be an animated turret rather than a vehicle.
I was going to make that suggestion as well. I've wanted to make a mission like that for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. It would be pretty simple in the basic setup, but the end result would be much more cinematic than normal gameplay since so much of it would be controlled through animations.
We're all on the same page here, as I wanted to do this a while ago as well (and never got around to it). Hope you can implement it somewhere in here!
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

[Casts a necromancy spell to revive this thread]

So I don't know if you are still taking ideas from this thread, but I thought of something the other day and I wasn't really going to use it for anything, so I figured I might as well tell someone (namely, you).

Originally it was an air superiority mission, but I guess you can pretty much use the concept for anything else, the gist of it is a vehicle based warfare scenario, where the player must mantain control of a CP/flag/whatever while inside a vehicle, if they go outside for a walk they lose the objective, so they must keep moving around and defending their vehicle from waves of attackers, while using repair stations to get their vehicles back in shape, kind of like a king of the hill type of a deal, if they lose the flag or whatever, they may simply respawn and reclaim it from the foe who has it. If they manage to hold it for long enough, they are victorious, mission accomplished.

This could be a mission, or a game-mode or whatever you want, really. I hope you are still looking for ideas, if not, well, then I apologize for the disturbance.

Edit: and apparently I revived something around here at the same time that other guy did.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Ambush Idea:

Post by yuke5 »

Here's an idea, how about an ambush, except for once you're the person doing the ambush? That'd be nice.
Example:
Your squad is sent to kill one person or a group of people. You wait for the enemy to proceed down a canyon, or an alleyway, any place where you have a solid height advantage, and you are pretty well concealed.Then you kill almost everyone. From that point on, one of the people you were sent to kill escaped your ambush and you have to hunt him/her down. Just a thought. This might be a solo mission though, because I imagine it would be hard to get the AI on your team to hold their fire until the right moment. Maybe you could spawn them in right when they're needed.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Ambush Idea:

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Well, to keep the AI from firing untill they needed to, you could set up a timer that changed their AI goal or the team they are on.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Re: Ambush Idea:

Post by yuke5 »

crap, I completely meant for this to go into the campaign ideas thread. I must have mis-clicked something.

Topics merged. You're welcome. -Staff