Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Nova Hawk wrote: Would you give some detail as in what plotholes you're thinking of? I can't find any...

The Plothole is that there is still a huge fleet that could wipe out the rebels at the end of the movie.

What isn't explained is thus:
1) After the Emperor died, he was no longer giving his troops battle meditation(hard to do that when you're dead). So the imperials had no real morale of their own anymore. So Captain Palleon(spelling?) ordered the retreat of the fleet. I mean come on, you just saw The Death Star II blow up, you're a lot smaller and weaker in an Imperial Class Star Destroyer. You can't blame them for retreating and trying to regroup.
2) When the word of Palpatine's death reached the rest of the galaxy, the regional commanders, moffs, and warlords took their part of the empire and called it their own. Turns out the Emproer and the fear of him was what was keeping the empire together. So instead of one giant empire, it became a bunch of smaller empires that loosely worked together to fight.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

THEWULFMAN wrote:1) After the Emperor died, he was no longer giving his troops battle meditation(hard to do that when you're dead). So the imperials had no real morale of their own anymore. So Captain Palleon(spelling?) ordered the retreat of the fleet. I mean come on, you just saw The Death Star II blow up, you're a lot smaller and weaker in an Imperial Class Star Destroyer..
Pellaeon, but yeah. Plus the fact that Vader had a habit of handpicking the best and brightest for the Executor's crew, so the Imperial navy took a serious blow when that thing fell even before the Death Star II blew up.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Fiodis wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:1) After the Emperor died, he was no longer giving his troops battle meditation(hard to do that when you're dead). So the imperials had no real morale of their own anymore. So Captain Palleon(spelling?) ordered the retreat of the fleet. I mean come on, you just saw The Death Star II blow up, you're a lot smaller and weaker in an Imperial Class Star Destroyer..
Pellaeon, but yeah. Plus the fact that Vader had a habit of handpicking the best and brightest for the Executor's crew, so the Imperial navy took a serious blow when that thing fell even before the Death Star II blew up.
Ironically it fell right into the Death Star II right before it blew up
DarthEste01
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 KotF

Post by DarthEste01 »

Pellaeon didn't order the retreat instantaneously after the death star II was blown,the rebels fought for many hours more againts the imperial fleet until it was finally defeated and escaped to the hyperspace,then it began the celebration we see in episode 6.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

DarthEste01 wrote:Pellaeon didn't order the retreat instantaneously after the death star II was blown,the rebels fought for many hours more againts the imperial fleet until it was finally defeated and escaped to the hyperspace,then it began the celebration we see in episode 6.
Source? I never remember reading anything about that. Actually I take that back, I remember Pellaeon mention he took command and ordered the retreat almost immediately. My source is Heir to the Empire.
DarthEste01
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 KotF

Post by DarthEste01 »

i correct myself,pellaeon did order the retreat,but he was not the commander of the battle,so he fled and left the other imperials fight alone,the commander was admiral Blitzer Harrsk.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

Should the Original Trilogy be remade?
No. It's not necessary. These little plot holes here and there and the effects could be updated/fixed without having to redo the whole thing.

As for the plot holes, my least favorite from Return of the Jedi is that people on Coruscant celebrate. This would never happen in real life. There would be riots. People, for the most part, would see the rebels as a bunch of terrorists who just mercilessly murdered their beloved ruler. This would certainly not be celebrated in the Imperial City. Then again, they wouldn't even know about it that soon, or if they did, it wouldn't be the real story. Should the public even know that the DS-2 existed?

Main thing is, the Empire wouldn't instantly disappear just because the Emperor disappeared, and the people on Coruscant wouldn't be happy.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Eaol wrote:Main thing is, the Empire wouldn't instantly disappear just because the Emperor disappeared, and the people on Coruscant wouldn't be happy.
Why not? The Emperor openly ruled using fear, as did Vader and most of their subordinates, even in politics, not just military. And the soldiers looked like they were wearing skulls as helmets. They had massive weapons knows as the "Death Star" and "Star Destroyers" (though arguably, the term star destroyer had been around since the Old Republic). The Empire blew up an entire planet, for Pete's sake. Racism and Xenophobia spread farther than it had in centuries. The only ones that WOULDN'T be celebrating would be the wealthy humans. Humanoids, non-humanoids, and mid- to lower-class humans would have PLENTY reasons to celebrate.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Though, I do agree that there would be more rioting, but perhaps it showed Coruscant after the rioters had their way, and now the rioters were celebrating their own victory against Imperial tyranny.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Hidden/Spoiler:
I see statues being toppled and stormtroopers being assaulted. Looks like a riot to me. And the Empire smacked them back down hard, killing lots of civilians.
Hidden/Spoiler:

The Coruscant Uprising
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Eaol wrote:Main thing is, the Empire wouldn't instantly disappear just because the Emperor disappeared, and the people on Coruscant wouldn't be happy.
Why not? The Emperor openly ruled using fear, as did Vader and most of their subordinates, even in politics, not just military. And the soldiers looked like they were wearing skulls as helmets. They had massive weapons knows as the "Death Star" and "Star Destroyers" (though arguably, the term star destroyer had been around since the Old Republic). The Empire blew up an entire planet, for Pete's sake. Racism and Xenophobia spread farther than it had in centuries. The only ones that WOULDN'T be celebrating would be the wealthy humans. Humanoids, non-humanoids, and mid- to lower-class humans would have PLENTY reasons to celebrate.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Though, I do agree that there would be more rioting, but perhaps it showed Coruscant after the rioters had their way, and now the rioters were celebrating their own victory against Imperial tyranny.
Actually, I imagine the humanoids wouldn't be too happy. The Empire was all up in aliens' business, so it's fair to assume coruscant was pretty socially sterile. I imagine aliens coming back would frustrate the low and middle class humanoids, as they'd be losing jobs and space. It'd be like when the blacks moved up from the south into the north. Unless everyone on coruscant was an ideal galactic citizen, I don't see everything going down so hunky-dory.

And guys. If a movie has to rely on EU to make sense, that's a problem. It's not a big problem in SW' case, but you shouldn't have to watch a movie and then have to find supplementary material for everything to make sense.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I think the Star Wars saga makes perfect sense without the EU. I don't need to see exactly how the Imperial fleet disbanded after the Battle of Endor. That has absolutely no bearing on the plot of the saga. All that matters in the grand scheme of things is that the Emperor is dead, Vader has been redeemed, and Luke is now a fully-fledged Jedi Knight.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Eggman wrote:I think the Star Wars saga makes perfect sense without the EU. I don't need to see exactly how the Imperial fleet disbanded after the Battle of Endor. That has absolutely no bearing on the plot of the saga. All that matters in the grand scheme of things is that the Emperor is dead, Vader has been redeemed, and Luke is now a fully-fledged Jedi Knight.
That's what I'm saying. The EU shouldn't be brought in because it just sets you up for the idea that there are problems. The movies don't need EU, so it shouldn't really factor in to a discussion on remaking the films.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

I'm in agreement with Eggman and Grev. Like a film or television adaptation of a book, you should be able to follow and understand everything that happens without having to refer to the book(s). EU aside, the ending of 'Jedi still makes perfect sense. The Executor and The Death Star were destroyed along with the Emperor and Vader. Of course the rest of the fleet retreated. It really isn't a plothole.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

http://uk.kotaku.com/5807873/george-luc ... e-prequels
Language warning. You have been warned.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:http://uk.kotaku.com/5807873/george-luc ... e-prequels
Language warning. You have been warned.

Been there, done that, don't agree.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

THEWULFMAN wrote:don't agree.
Because there wasn't really an imposter in the first place! :funny2:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

AQT wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:don't agree.
Because there wasn't really an imposter in the first place! :funny2:

:lol: I should have clarified what I didn't agree on. I don't think Star Wars 1-3, Indy4, Jar-Jar and all that jazz suck like everyone else.