Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Post by AQT »

From the Battleship topic:
Nova Hawk wrote:I'm still waiting for LA or some other company do a remake of the original trilogy. I mean 4-6 are good but I feel like they lack the amount of special effects that we have today. I would either like a remake with still all the same actors (maybe change Luke & Leia's) and everything or do a completely new episode/trilogy based in the EU to have something more to build on.
Um, why? :o I think the multiple series of re-releases were/are good enough. And more special [CGI] effects? No thanks. If anything, the Prequel Trilogy should be remade with less special effects.

As for a completely new trilogy, I'd personally like to see something set during the KotOR era.

How about everyone else? Your thoughts?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I would like to see a sequel trilogy, actually, set about 20 years after Episode VI. They can still use Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, they have a plethora of EU to choose from, or they can override it and start anew.

As for a total movie remake, I feel that only works for series that were first books. Like LotR or Greek myths (I also fully expect another set of Harry Potter movies with new actors in like 30-40 years). Or at least wait until EVERYTHING is outdated and the franchise needs a kick in the rear. Not now, when they have not one, but three planned TV shows (TCW, Seth Green's comedy, and the live action one), a constantly expanding EU, and the attention of every 8-12 year old boy in America.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Nope, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

In fact, it kind of bothers me that such a thing could happen, the way I see it, remakes are cheap cash-ins, because you don't have to make any effort to create an original film, it has already been done before, so all you have to do is imitate the previous work and touch it up with some pretty effects, then call it a day. It is very rare to see a remake that is truly justified.

Besides, the prequel trilogy was done mostly with special effects in mind, and we all know how that ended...
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Hidden/Spoiler:
WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT?
Just the thought of it fills me with dread. If that did get accomplished it would turn into a rehash of the prequels in terms of tone and style, i.e., a snooze-fest/cgi-pigout with dull acting and too much crap in the frame at one time.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

To this day I refuse to watch the movies with any of the "fixes." So a remake trilogy done while Lucasfilm is still operating under its current model of "green sets, bored actors, obscure the bored actors with what the graphic designer whipped up in 15 minutes" would be a definite no.

Maybe in like, 50 years from now, when we all realized how stupid it was to make a movie entirely in a computer.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Nova Hawk wrote:I'm still waiting for LA or some other company do a remake of the original trilogy. I mean 4-6 are good but I feel like they lack the amount of special effects that we have today. I would either like a remake with still all the same actors (maybe change Luke & Leia's) and everything or do a completely new episode/trilogy based in the EU to have something more to build on.

I know that's slightly off topic but that's what I would like to see

I wait, what? This is such, I, just.... What?!?! :| I can't be hearing this, this is.. just wrong, WRONG! You don't remake the classics! You fix or add effects, but you don't remake it!? I could never, NEVER imagine anyone but Harrison Ford playing Han. I can't believe you said this. :shock: Special Effects don't make movies special. Sometimes you have to keep the crappy effects, real puppets, thats what makes it so good.

Sequel Trilogy Yes. I want 7,8 and 9 and I would want them to use the Thrawn Trilogy (by one of my favorite authors, if not my favorite author, Timothy Zahn) as the basis for the 7,8 and 9 movies. Zahn wrote those 3 books in the style of a 3 part movie trilogy so it would work perfectly.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

I think the only thing I would not miss in a remake would be the obiwan/Vader duel in ANH. ep 1,2,3 crazy amazing saber skills, ep 4 noobs ep 5,6 back to crazy awesome. Also I like the uneven, pulsating sabers much better than the perfectly smooth and straight ones in all the newer stuff. :x
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Maybe if they did it well and changed nothing but the acting quality. Maybe. Otherwise, no. I'd rather see, as others have said, a KotOR or closer-to-legacy-era trilogy.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

What sort of heresy is this? I refuse to have such witchcraft and evil talk on our forums! :faint:
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

If anything should be remade, it's the prequels.
DarthEste01
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 KotF

Post by DarthEste01 »

i would like to see a trilogy based on the sith-imperial war of 130 ABY,because at it's end,it ends the star wars history too,with the galactic alliance remnant,the empire in exile and the new jedi order,all,once enemies,ruling the galaxy together as the galactic federation triunvirate and the sith escaping to the unknown regions,but george lucas said that he will not make another trilogy.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Flashy special effects =/= better movie. Period. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and the OT seems perfectly fine as it is.
Twilight_Warrior wrote:I would like to see a sequel trilogy, actually, set about 20 years after Episode VI. They can still use Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, they have a plethora of EU to choose from, or they can override it and start anew.
20 years after Ep. VI is the NJO era. In other words, it would be good in some parts and bad in others at best.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

EraOfDesann wrote:If anything should be remade, it's the prequels.
That's actually a great idea! I wouldn't mind if they went back and said "ok, this is all wrong, let's try again, but better this time."
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Nihillo wrote:
EraOfDesann wrote:If anything should be remade, it's the prequels.
That's actually a great idea! I wouldn't mind if they went back and said "ok, this is all wrong, let's try again, but better this time."
BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER! The first logical step in remaking the prequels is getting rid of George Lucas.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:The first logical step in remaking the prequels is getting rid of George Lucas.

No. No. No. No. No, and NO. Its his universe, no one elses.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:The first logical step in remaking the prequels is getting rid of George Lucas.

No. No. No. No. No, and NO. Its his universe, no one elses.
Yeah, and look what he did to it.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

They could just, I don't know, spice up the original trilogy with new effects anyway. After all, if one person could do it in a fan edit, then ILM should be able to do it easier.

EDIT: I have a hard time listening to somebody with Trollface as their avvy :funny2:
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

ggctuk wrote:They could just, I don't know, spice up the original trilogy with new effects anyway.
They kind of already did, some of the newer DVDs of the Original Trilogy have segments in CGI and some reworked stuff.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Nihillo wrote:
ggctuk wrote:They could just, I don't know, spice up the original trilogy with new effects anyway.
They kind of already did, some of the newer DVDs of the Original Trilogy have segments in CGI and some reworked stuff.

The 2004 DVDs suck, bad. They screwed up the effects and they know it. The lightsabers are what piss me off the most. The 2004 DVDs screwed them up, to the point where they are solid colors without a white core. What crap. I don't like everything Adywyn did in his Fan Edits, but he fixed the lightsabers, for that he gets my respect. Oh, and his color correction is awesome.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

The lightsaber changes in the 2004 OT release never bothered me. What bothered me was the switch of actors for Anakin's Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. I can understand Lucas' intentions behind the switch, but the Hayden Christensen ghost just looks so out of place - it's all shiny and new-looking compared to the Obi-Wan and Yoda ghosts.