Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Eggman wrote:The lightsaber changes in the 2004 OT release never bothered me.

:shock: Perhaps you don't remember what they used to look like.

Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImage

Hidden/Spoiler:
Eggman wrote:What bothered me was the switch of actors for Anakin's Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. I can understand Lucas' intentions behind the switch, but the Hayden Christensen ghost just looks so out of place - it's all shiny and new-looking compared to the Obi-Wan and Yoda ghosts.
I concur :plokoon:

I understand that thought behind it but it just looks wrong.
Last edited by THEWULFMAN on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Eggman wrote:What bothered me was the switch of actors for Anakin's Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. I can understand Lucas' intentions behind the switch, but the Hayden Christensen ghost just looks so out of place.
Not to mention that it doesn't make any sense at all.

"Ohhh it's because Anakin died when he became Darth Vader."
No, that's stupid, go away.
redgroupclan
High General
High General
Location: For less cheap gameplay - BF2 v1.1 server "NoEngineersAntiGlitch"

Post by redgroupclan »

Why doesn't George Lucas try to make more Star Wars movies? He's got so much to work with.

He could fix the prequels or practically take a shot in the dark at any EU point and make a movie out of it. But no, we just get an occasional video game release.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Nihillo wrote:
Eggman wrote:What bothered me was the switch of actors for Anakin's Force ghost at the end of ROTJ. I can understand Lucas' intentions behind the switch, but the Hayden Christensen ghost just looks so out of place.

Yeah, but if Lucas wanted to take that logic, Anakin was reborn when he threw Palpatine down the Death Star's reactor shaft, and he died shortly after as Anakin Skywalker, not Darth Vader. So, in essence, the original version of the film had it right anyways.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

The original trilogy was perfect in it's original theatrical release. George Lucas has already ruined what was a perfect trilogy to begin with by adding additional CGI footage, so any remake would be a further travesty in my opinion. If any movies should be remade, it's the prequel series, and they should get someone like Joss Whedon to direct, because I believe his take would be more like the original trilogy with a decent script, and better comedy.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Jendo7 wrote:they should get someone like Joss Whedon to direct.
Since you bring that up I think that like Jerry Bruckhiemer would be a great director. He's created a ton of films that are at the top of my list.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Nova Hawk wrote:
Jendo7 wrote:they should get someone like Joss Whedon to direct.
Since you bring that up I think that like Jerry Bruckhiemer would be a great director. He's created a ton of films that are at the top of my list.
He's a producer, not a director.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Jendo7 wrote:The original trilogy was perfect in it's original theatrical release. George Lucas has already ruined what was a perfect trilogy to begin with by adding additional CGI footage, so any remake would be a further travesty in my opinion. If any movies should be remade, it's the prequel series, and they should get someone like Joss Whedon to direct, because I believe his take would be more like the original trilogy with a decent script, and better comedy.
I can see the need to add things that weren't possible back then, like the Jabba scene in ANH, or the ending of Return of the Jedi where we see all the planets in celebration (which IMO gives a greater impact to the climax of the final battle). There were some places though that GCI should have been left out. ANH worked fine without the Rebel Flyby.

In any case, the characters are what drove the Original Trilogy. The Prequels were driven by the "Ooh, look at what I can do sparkly" special effects.
acryptozoo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Yavin Mappack
Games I'm Playing :: Homeworld 2
xbox live or psn: acryptozoo

Post by acryptozoo »

ggctuk wrote: In any case, the characters are what drove the Original Trilogy. The Prequels were driven by the "Ooh, look at what I can do sparkly" special effects.
^This!
DarthEste01
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 KotF

Post by DarthEste01 »

i don't know why everybody says that the prequels must be remade,they're well for me and think that Lucas had to tell a story that showed all what he said in the original trilogy,so he hadn't many times to invent something new and any of us would have thought stories like that ones in a million years.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

I think movies based on Zahn's Heir to the Throne trilogy, with Thrawn, would work quite nicely. Zahn's the best SW author out there, imho.

But that's only if it's not done like Eps 1-3.

Actually, the order I first saw the movies in was 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 3. At first I didn't see what all the fuss was about around the prequels. Then I saw the original series in 2004 form and realized how much better that was, and people still were complaining about parts of it (lightsabers, Greedo shot first, etc).

Anyway I imagine we haven't had an EP7 since Lucas was too busy killing Indie for us.
DarthEste01 wrote:Lucas had to tell a story that showed all what he said in the original trilogy,so he hadn't many times to invent something new
If I'm reading that right, you're saying Lucas was pressed for time, and the prequels were the best he could do in a pinch? Lucas had plenty of time to make the prequels better. But he waited until CGI was sufficiently developed.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Fiodis wrote:
DarthEste01 wrote:Lucas had to tell a story that showed all what he said in the original trilogy,so he hadn't many times to invent something new
If I'm reading that right, you're saying Lucas was pressed for time, and the prequels were the best he could do in a pinch? Lucas had plenty of time to make the prequels better. But he waited until CGI was sufficiently developed.
That's a twofold problem. He had no intention of making a character-based study and instead wanted a visual pigout. Special effects were fine when Episode 1 was being written, just look at The Fifth Element. It's a good movie with effects that still hold up today. They could have built moar sets and used less CGI and as result the film would look less cold. I'm serious, when watching the prequels everything does in fact feel cold and squeaky-clean. No matter how good CGI is you'll always be able to tell it apart from reality, and George couldn't get that through his thick skull. And like someone else whose name eludes me said, if we got Joss Whedon or someone else who was a little less... George to work on the script, it would've been fine. SIx years after the prequel saga ended and they're rotting in Hell while The Original Trilogy is still referenced, quoted, and remembered with respect, all because of the people who opposed Lucas's bad ideas, not Lucas himself.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Jendo7 wrote:The original trilogy was perfect in it's original theatrical release. George Lucas has already ruined what was a perfect trilogy to begin with by adding additional CGI footage, so any remake would be a further travesty in my opinion. If any movies should be remade, it's the prequel series, and they should get someone like Joss Whedon to direct, because I believe his take would be more like the original trilogy with a decent script, and better comedy.
Darth_Squoobus wrote:No matter how good CGI is you'll always be able to tell it apart from reality, and George couldn't get that through his thick skull. And like someone else whose name eludes me said, if we got Joss Whedon or someone else who was a little less... George to work on the script, it would've been fine. SIx years after the prequel saga ended and they're rotting in Diet Dr. Pepper while The Original Trilogy is still referenced, quoted, and remembered with respect, all because of the people who opposed Lucas's bad ideas, not Lucas himself.
I give this post a PG-13 rating for censored profanity. Younger GT members have been warned.
Hidden/Spoiler:
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Nothing--absolutely nothing

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:No matter how good CGI is you'll always be able to tell it apart from reality
Probably not, at the rate technology is exploding being able to distinguish between real and CGI might not last much longer.

The prequels should be remade. Also quoting from the Plinkett reviews:
super mild censored language
Hidden/Spoiler:
The 2004 versions aren't even as good as the OT because they just try to shove all this CR@P in our faces which distracts us from the actual story
The only one I think could be remade is: The duel between vader and obi-wan. It's awful, I know that there's more to it than just them waving around sticks but it still is quite pathetic.

Fun fact:
OT sarlacc pit
Hidden/Spoiler:
2004 sarlacc pit
Hidden/Spoiler:
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

The 1997 version of the Sarlacc pit also had the CG beak and tentacles.
CalvaryCptMike wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:No matter how good CGI is you'll always be able to tell it apart from reality
Probably not, at the rate technology is exploding being able to distinguish between real and CGI might not last much longer.
Off-topic: I think it already has in some movies. Take the 2007 film Beowulf, for example: I had a difficult time telling whether the ending scene reverted back to live action or it was still CGI. :shock:
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

AQT wrote:The 1997 version of the Sarlacc pit also had the CG beak and tentacles.
CalvaryCptMike wrote:
Off-topic: I think it already has in some movies. Take the 2007 film Beowulf, for example: I had a difficult time telling whether the ending scene reverted back to live action or it was still CGI. :shock:
The whole movie was CGI motion-capture. The only reason I couldn't tell was because I was twelve at the time, but I suspect you were much older then. Still, I don't see why people shouldn't be able to tell the difference. CG is too smooth, too perfect. Even in Avatar, you knew everything was CG. More to the point, another problem with CG is that it looks hollow. Anything made out of CG looks like it's a paper-thin membrane filled with air and given life.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Nihillo wrote:

That's a very "George Lucas ruined my childhood" comment. Logically speaking it makes perfect sense, but people don't like change so they get upset.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Teancum wrote:
Nihillo wrote:

That's a very "George Lucas ruined my childhood" comment. Logically speaking it makes perfect sense, but people don't like change so they get upset.
But it doesn't make sense. All the other force Jedi appear as they did when they died. Why not "annie?"
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

The Jedi in Anakin died when he turned to the dark side. If I may quote the man himself:

"The boy you trained -- gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader" - Yoda
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:Anything made out of CG looks like it's a paper-thin membrane filled with air and given life.
Really?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Nope. That entire shot scene is a CGI, and I don't see that.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Not here, either.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Ummmmmmm... Nope, not seeing a paper-thin membrane filled with air...

NOWAIT! I found it
Hidden/Spoiler:
But only part of that is Computer Generated...