Heir to the Empire: 20th Anniversary

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

Ping
Sith
Sith

Heir to the Empire: 20th Anniversary

Post by Ping »

Has anybody noticed that the 20th Anniversary edition of Heir to the Empire is in stores? I might actually get it, since I haven't read it, and the cover looks rather sleek.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Heir to the Empire: 20th Anniversary

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I already have a copy, so I won't get it. However I highly recommend it to any one who has not read it. I am a huge Timothy Zahn fan, and I am reading one of his newer books right now.

In my opinion, Timothy Zahn is the best Star Wars novel writer out there(I have read a crapload of them, so I am not making judgement against writer's work I have not had read). He really captures the feel of the Star Wars universe, and if I was uber rich I would try and get Lucas to agree to me making film versions of the Thrawn Trilogy.

I could go on for hours about what specifically I like about his writing style, but I will not bore you guys. Instead, if you like Star Wars at all, I suggest you read the Thrawn Trilogy(to start with).
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Zahn's always been my favorite alive science fiction author. There are a few others I like, but unfortunately they're dead, which seriously hampers their rate of new debutes. :(

Anyway, for me, Heir to the Throne actually set the feel of the Star Wars universe, as I read the Thrawn trilogy even before seeing any of the movies. Those three books, and even the follow-up Hand of Thrawn duology, seem superior to the movie prequels by far and even to most parts of the OT, though I'm aware it's difficult and not strictly accurate to compare books and movies.

And it's not just Star Wars. Zahn's written numerous successful series. Dragon and Thief was one of the first big-kid books I'd read back in primary school, and I'd been quite proud of my reading as well as entertained by it, though as a second-grader I couldn't appreciate it fully. The Thrawn trilogy solidified my liking for him, and the Quadrail series won him my complete devotion.
THEWULFMAN wrote:I am a huge Timothy Zahn fan, and I am reading one of his newer books right now.
Eh - Allegiance came out four years ago. It was excellent, and once you finish it I highly recommend you check out its sequel, Choices of One, as well as his other Star Wars books.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Agreed. I feel if the sin were to happen that the OT be redone, I would want Zahn doing the writing. The Thrawn Trilogy is pretty much what made me such an avid Star Wars fan(that and Star Wars legos, which is why for a few years I tinkered with the idea of making stop-motion Lego films based off of the Thrawn Trilogy :P )
Fiodis wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:I am a huge Timothy Zahn fan, and I am reading one of his newer books right now.
Eh - Allegiance came out four years ago. It was excellent, and once you finish it I highly recommend you check out its sequel, Choices of One, as well as his other Star Wars books.
Yeah, I know it came out four years ago, hence me saying "newer". I will get Choices of One when it comes out in Mass-Market Paperback(I really don't like reading hardcover books, paperback is much easier to hold). In the meantime I still have the rest of Allegiance and Outbound Flight to read.