Prequels

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

TheSelfDestroyer
Private Second Class
Games I'm Playing :: BFII GTA SA
Location: Somewhere in the world fighting againts Barney and his friends...

Prequels

Post by TheSelfDestroyer »

Well,I noticed that most people here thinks the prequels are bad,so I decided to create this topic where you can say,well... write what you think is good about the prequels,so we see the good and not just the bad of these movies.

As example: I love the ending scenes from RotS and I think Palpatine's character was a one of the greatest I ever saw in any movie.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Re: Prequels

Post by Eaol »

Well, I don't think everyone here hates the prequels. I don't hate them personally, even, I just feel like they didn't live up to "Star Wars".

What did I like?

-General Grevious, he is probably one of the only menacing henchmen.
-Obi-Wan Kenobi, his character was quite nicely done.
-The deleted rebellion scenes. They get into some nice politics and foreshadowing of the Rebels.
-Felucia's environment. Very alien. I'd have done less with CGI but other than that, beautiful.
-Some special effects. Most of them are "meh" to me.
-Palpatine's creepiness. Though I would have tried to make it less obvious it was the same person for a while.
-The systematic takeover of the Republic's government was interesting and pretty true to reality, minus Sith Lords and bankers taking sides.
-Bail Organa. I just like this guy.
-Yoda, though I think the TPM puppet is horrid and the AotC and RotS CGI is really fake-looking and has a different look than the TESB puppet. The character wasn't as strong in TPM, though.
-I'll think of more later.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Eaol wrote: -Obi-Wan Kenobi, his character was quite nicely done.
-Felucia's environment. Very alien.
-special effects.
-Palpatine's creepiness. Though I would have tried to make it less obvious it was the same person for a while.
-The systematic takeover of the Republic's government was interesting and pretty true to reality, minus Sith Lords and bankers taking sides.
-Bail Organa. I just like this guy.
-Yoda, though I think the TPM puppet is horrid and the AotC and RotS CGI is really fake-looking and has a different look than the TESB puppet. The character wasn't as strong in TPM, though.
-I'll think of more later.
^This
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Marvel4s BF1 Conversion Pack + Era Mod

Post by Marvel4 »

I liked the action of course. Especially Yoda beating the crap out of everyone. :mrgreen:
Order 66 was one of the best scenes ever, it always makes me cry...
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Well, I like the prequels, and I wish I would like them even more than I do now, but there is a list of things preventing me from doing so. Weird script, missed opportunities in the narrative, inconsistencies and simple design choices which I don't like.

But I suppose I should conform to the model of this thread and cite positive things about the prequels: I really like the score, it's very powerful and emotional, and sometimes it surpasses the original; the cinematography is pretty impressive (even though most of it is just CG); Ewan McGregor did a fine job as a Obi-Wan, Hayden Christensen was alright, his character is a bit flawed, but that's not really his fault, he did his part; the fight choreography was stylish, fast paced and unique.

Hmm, that's about it, can't think of anything else right now.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Nihillo wrote:Well, I like the prequels, and I wish I would like them even more than I do now, but there is a list of things preventing me from doing so. Weird script, missed opportunities in the narrative, inconsistencies and simple design choices which I don't like.

But I suppose I should conform to the model of this thread and cite positive things about the prequels: I really like the score, it's very powerful and emotional, and sometimes it surpasses the original; the cinematography is pretty impressive (even though most of it is just CG); Ewan McGregor did a fine job as a Obi-Wan, Hayden Christensen was alright, his character is a bit flawed, but that's not really his fault, he did his part; the fight choreography was stylish, fast paced and unique.

^Pretty much my thoughts as well. I think Hayden Christensen did a fine job working with what he was given. One more thing to add to the list of good things about the prequels is Qui-Gon Jinn. I thought he was an interesting character. I really wish he would have been given more attention in Episodes II and III, kind of in the same manner as Obi-Wan was treated in the original trilogy. At any rate, they could have kept the bit in Episode III where Qui-Gon/Yoda explain the whole deal with Force ghosts. They cut that bit for the sake of pacing, but did so at the cost of leaving a massive plot hole.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Yeah, Qui-gon was pretty good, even if he made some erratic (I still don't fully understand the deal he had with Watto) and risky decisions.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the scores yet. I think John Williams did great with the scores of the Prequels (not so much with Episode II, but especially with Episode III).
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

ggctuk wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the scores yet. I think John Williams did great with the scores of the Prequels (not so much with Episode II, but especially with Episode III).
Nihillo wrote:Well, I like the prequels, and I wish I would like them even more than I do now, but there is a list of things preventing me from doing so. Weird script, missed opportunities in the narrative, inconsistencies and simple design choices which I don't like.

:P
Teasing aside, I agree with your opinions on the score. I especially like the score for Episode III. Like Nihillo said, it is very powerful and emotional, and moreover, John Williams broke away from the more romantic style of the previous scores and experimented with some more unusual sounds - examples that come to mind are portions of the "General Grievous" theme and "Padmé's Ruminations."
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Eggman wrote:I agree with your opinions on the score. I especially like the score for Episode III. Like Nihillo said, it is very powerful and emotional, and moreover, John Williams broke away from the more romantic style of the previous scores and experimented with some more unusual sounds - examples that come to mind are portions of the "General Grievous" theme and "Padmé's Ruminations."
I concur. :plokoon:

I could go on to the finer details of what I do like, but I'll just stick with what I love. John Williams is the undisputed best. I'll watch Warhorse if for no other reason but to hear John's score.

John Williams is the man.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

Meh. I pretty much agree with RedLetterMedia on this one. You can watch the videos, but there is some pretty mature content in them, primarily swearing. Watch at your own discretion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qq ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFpxBSyWG0
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

First, I'm (part)Scotish, and I love bagpipes.

Secondly, I hate RedLetterMedia or rather, his style of "comedy"(that's a different topic altogether).

Third: He's waaaaay too harsh on them. I know they suck compared to the OT, but a lot of stuff is going to suck compared to movies that changed how movies were made forever.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:

First, I'm (part)Scotish, and I love bagpipes.

Secondly, I hate RedLetterMedia or rather, his style of "comedy"(that's a different topic altogether).

Third: He's waaaaay too harsh on them. I know they suck compared to the OT, but a lot of stuff is going to suck compared to movies that changed how movies were made forever.
It's okay. I personally fine his humor a little off-the-wall. He's supposed to be harsh. But the one thing that I REALLY hate about the prequels is the dialog. I understand that some things couldn't be replicated from the original movies, but I guess George Lucas didn't have very good/brave editors for the script.

Quick Little Example:
Hidden/Spoiler:
OBI-WAN: From the Sith!!! Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil.

ANAKIN: From the Jedi point of view! From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

OBI-WAN: Well, then you are lost!
If I was busy fighting my old friend in the middle of a stream of lava, I wouldn't take the time to say "From my point of view..." My response would be far more emotional and intense. Or how about this disjointed bit of conversation:
Hidden/Spoiler:
ANAKIN: . . . every second I was thinking of you. Protecting the endless, nameless Outer Rim settlements became a torture . . . the battles were easy, the longing became unbearable . . . I've never been so happy as I am at this moment.

PADME: Annie, I want to have our baby back home on Naboo. We could go to the lake country where no one would know . . . where we would be safe. I could go early-and fix up the baby's room. I know the perfect spot, right by the gardens.

ANAKIN: You are so beautiful!

PADME: It's only because I'm so in love . . .

ANAKIN: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.

PADME: So love has blinded you?

ANAKIN: Well, that's not exactly what I meant . . .

PADME: But it's probably true!

They laugh.

ANAKIN: I haven't laughed in so long . . .

PADME: Neither have I.
No human being talks like that.
But yeah, the action sequences were cool, I liked them. At times I thought George Lucas's logic was lapsing, and he had some pretty crummy ideas. A lot of the best ideas (General Grievous) weren't made by him, and some of the worst (Jar-Jar) were. I think this is really because Lucas's co-workers were afraid to tell him exactly what they thought.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I agree with yuke, and I absolutely love RedLetterMedia's humorous reviews. He's spot on with the criticism for the most part.

As being something related to Star Wars, I think the Prequel Trilogy is great. It also helped that I am a huge Star Wars fan. As stand-alone movies, they are okay, I guess. Nothing special, really. The action scenes are spectacular, but that's about it. They are kind of like the recent Transformers films.

And I think it's fairly fine to compare the Prequel Trilogy to the Original Trilogy. The Original Trilogy used borrowed story elements and ideas from other successful films, anyway, not that that is a bad thing. (Siskel and Ebert: The secret [to the success] of Star Wars: Part 1/Part 2/Part 3)
TheSelfDestroyer
Private Second Class

yuke,in the dialogues they never say "from the sith" or "from the jedi point of view",the real dialogue is this one:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Anakin: I should've know the jedi were plotting to take over.

Obi-Wan: Anakin,Chancellor Palpatine is evil.

Anakin: From my point of view the jedi are evil.

Obi-Wan: Well,then you're lost.
It's not so different but it fits more that scene imo.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

TheSelfDestroyer wrote:yuke,in the dialogues they never say "from the sith" or "from the jedi point of view",the real dialogue is this one:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Anakin: I should've know the jedi were plotting to take over.

Obi-Wan: Anakin,Chancellor Palpatine is evil.

Anakin: From my point of view the jedi are evil.

Obi-Wan: Well,then you're lost.
It's not so different but it fits more that scene imo.
Sorry, I quoted the script from here:
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars- ... -Sith.html

Even the revised bit you posted still is pretty bad. If I was writing the script I would've written something more like:

Anakin: "You betrayed us!"
Obi-Wan: "You have betrayed yourself."

This isn't a scholarly debate, it's a lightsaber fight above magma. Big difference.
TheSelfDestroyer
Private Second Class

yuke5 wrote:Obi-Wan: "You have betrayed yourself."
but,didn't obi wan say that in a more complicated form when he said "You have aloud this dark lord to twist your mind until now,until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy"?
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

TheSelfDestroyer wrote:
but,didn't obi wan say that in a more complicated form when he said "You have aloud this dark lord to twist your mind until now,until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy"?
Exactly. That is too wordy. It sounds nice, but if I was fighting my best friend to the death, I wouldn't say that.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

yuke5 wrote:
TheSelfDestroyer wrote:
Exactly. That is too wordy. It sounds nice, but if I was fighting my best friend to the death, I wouldn't say that.

Yeah, well here's a news flash for you. Star Wars is unrealistic. The dialogue has always been corny and unrealistic. The only dialogue I can't stand is Anakin in TPM.

If you want realistic dialogue, go watch reality tv. I however, will stick to corny dialogue is Star Wars.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

But... but... Jake Lloyd was the best part of Episode I....
Out of all the characters, he portrayed the most emotion. Everyone else (well, aside from the Gungans) was totally stone-faced and almost monotone the entire movie.