Clone Wars Season 5 (Spoilers inside - latest episode)

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Clone Wars Season 5 (Spoilers inside - latest episode)

Post by Maveritchell »

At this point, I've seen enough fan-whinging that I kind've want the next episode to have Barriss be all "Hey dudes, I like red better than blue and have you seen the power upgrade I got for being a bad guy? I am seriously boss now! I got angry one day and I was like, eh, I'll run with that." The way I see it, there are two reasons people are irritated:

1) It's shoddy writing to introduce this character change apropos of nothing
-To which I would say "of course it is." This is a children's cartoon that hasn't held itself to a more rigorous standard really any time in the past five seasons. I liked General Krell and his arc even when they were basically having him twirl his mustache and tie clones to railroad tracks because it was fun, not because it was well-written.

2) It changes caaaanooon.
Derp derp derp, derp derp, derp. From the beginning, this should have been expected, since they pretty much said they would do it. Personal preference, of course, but since this is a canon that's bordered by two movies (which means that anything that happens of substance is pretty inflexible), any of the changes that get made are minor anyway. And in any case, any major changes they've made in the show they've moved towards resetting them to what fans expect anyway (e.g. "Mandalorians aren't pacifists" "Okay well now they're ruled by Death Watch, an armor-wearing warrior culture. Happy?"). I fully expect them to either go into detail about why Barriss irrevocably turned into a bad-to-the-bone bad bad lady, or to not go into much detail and have her be turned back to the light side eventually (once again pressing a reset button).
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

Hopefully, Bariss's motivations will be seriously fleshed out in the next episode.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Maybe she's being blackmailed?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

yuke5 wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Maybe she's being blackmailed?
I don't think you can simply blackmail dark-side stuff like Force-choking a prisoner, killing a bunch of clones, (likely) setting up a Temple bombing, and betraying a friend.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

Well, maybe not blackmail, but jedi have been known to make radical changes for (more or less) valid reasons; like Anakin, for example. Maybe some sort of leverage is being used against her. I'm just hoping that if Bariss is evil now, there will at least be some solid insight into her character.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Well I'm sorry if my so called "whining" is putting a crimp in anyone's day as I'm sure it has. I'll best be quiet as not to annoy anyone else with my opinions.

If anyone knows my track record, they know I don't care about canon changes like this. I don't care if they bring back a character from the dead, so they can kill them off. I don't care if they kill off a character like Even Piel. I enjoyed the Mandalorian pacifists and Satine. I don't call they changed Asajj's background a bit. And the list goes on where things everyone else hated that I was fine with.

It's more or less reason 1 in its entirety, and I personally believe this is the dumbest writing choice they've made. The "yes it's dumb writing because it's a kid's show" excuse don't cut it here. There's another reason I don't like it, but I can't talk about it here for fear of flame wars breaking out.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

I'll withhold judgment til the episode airs, though I'm not sure how they'll be able to adequately explain her motives and wrap up the storyline within a 22 minute window. I hope she escapes and becomes a recurring antagonist so that her character can be fleshed out a bit more.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

EraOfDesann wrote: I hope she escapes and becomes a recurring antagonist so that her character can be fleshed out a bit more.
I hadn't considered that possibility, but now that you mention it, that would really work best.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I actually hope that doesn't happen. If you ask me, the show already has enough recurring villains: Cad Bane, Ventress, Maul, Boba Fett, and Hondo all come to mind, and I'm sure there are others. I would prefer to see some of those characters' stories get wrapped up before another villain is thrown into the mix. Of course, if Ventress' arc gets some sort of closure in the next episode, that could open up room for Bariss to take her place.

Still, I think it would be best for Bariss' story to reach a conclusive end this Saturday - either she is redeemed, or she gets taken out. Or, of course, she turns out to be the victim of some strange, convoluted framing attempt.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Eggman wrote:Of course, if Ventress' arc gets some sort of closure in the next episode, that could open up room for Bariss to take her place.
I honestly hope that Ahsoka's arc ends up with her running off, buddy-cop-style, to go on adventures with Ventress (Ahsventures? It works in my head.). Ahsoka either wraps up as dead or missing, and I figure the culmination of this arc has as good a chance to have her disillusioned and running away as anything. Better that than seeing her dead, which is probably the more likely scenario. It'd be a tidy resolution to wrap Ventress's arc up in the same place.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Maveritchell wrote:I honestly hope that Ahsoka's arc ends up with her running off, buddy-cop-style, to go on adventures with Ventress (Ahsventures? It works in my head.).
I had the exact same idea when I found out Ventress and Ahsoka would be working together in this arc. It'd also be an ironic twist since Ventress and Anakin are inverses of one another.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Ooh, I like that!
AhsokaTano
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: Kamino Training Map.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 2 Skyrim SWTOR
xbox live or psn: ZunaSW

Post by AhsokaTano »

It was all we said. Great episode. I really like it. This arc is the best of all, for me.
I can't believe it... I never cried with Star Wars. In the Order 66 I can contain the tears, but in the final scene of this episode... I cried with that scene :'( It is so emotional.

Also, lucasfilms... They changed the color of one of the lightsabers in Barriss vs Anakin scene in the trailer... That confused me...
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

AhsokaTano wrote:I
Also, lucasfilms... They changed the color of one of the lightsabers in Barriss vs Anakin scene in the trailer... That confused me...
Some other folks noticed this too. I guess they figured that someone might piece together that it was Barriss if the color remained unaltered?

Anyway, thrilling finale. Barriss' motives make sense but this still came out of left and I don't understand why she'd want to frame her friend or keep her involvement a secret. Isn't she trying to make a statement? Own up to it!

I'm so glad that Ahsoka told the Jedi where to shove it. They really are incompetent and it's no wonder that Sidious wipes them out. I'm so excited for next season and to see where Ahsoka's journey takes her. It'll also be interesting to see Anakin without his padawan and how he copes with it. This ending makes a lot more sense than killing off Ahsoka, because it adds to Anakin's distrust of the order.

I hate these March finales, though. Now we have to wait half a year (maybe more now that the show could conceivably be transferred to a Disney network) for Season 6...
AhsokaTano
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by AhsokaTano »

EraOfDesann wrote: I hate these March finales, though. Now we have to wait half a year (maybe more now that the show could conceivably be transferred to a Disney network) for Season 6...

It'll be transfered to Disney XD or Disney Channel? Oh god :( It is difficult to watch the episodes here in spain (you wait one year or you watch it online), and now they transfer the series to other channel...

Well... When will be realased the trailer for the Season 6?

I think I can't watch the episode as often the other ones of this arc.

I hope in the Season 6 we will see Darth Maul and Sidious again. Also, I want to know what will say Luminara about Barriss.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

AhsokaTano wrote:
It'll be transfered to Disney XD or Disney Channel? Oh god :( It is difficult to watch the episodes here in spain (you wait one year or you watch it online), and now they transfer the series to other channel...

Well... When will be realased the trailer for the Season 6?

I think I can't watch the episode as often the other ones of this arc.

I hope in the Season 6 we will see Darth Maul and Sidious again. Also, I want to know what will say Luminara about Barriss.
A lot of people are speculating that next season will be moved to Disney XD due to the buyout, but there hasn't been any official word about it (as far as I know).

Dunno when a trailer will come out. They used to show peeks of the next season after the finales but, if it's like Season 5, we probably won't get a trailer til the summer.

I hope we see Barriss again and it'd definitely be interesting to see how Luminara has dealt with her apprentice's turn to the Dark Side.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

That kinda sucks that Barris did this. She seemed like a gentle spirit and I guess that is why it makes such an impact. On the plus side I guess Ashoka dodged a major bullet when order 66 is given in a years time.
AhsokaTano
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by AhsokaTano »

When Barriss arrived to say she is the jedi I thought that she was to say she is not the jedi making herself the "good girl".
Ahhh!! I really liked when the younglings are training with their lightsaber while Anakin is fighting Barriss :D
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

My dad has been predicting that Ahsoka would leave the Jedi Order for quite some time, looks like he was right. Just not exactly as he expected. I liked this idea a lot. Leaves a lot of room for her character to go on her own stories.

My dad also makes a decent point about Barriss' involvement being key for Ahsoka leaving the Order. If he hadn't been Barriss, Ahsoka might have stayed.

That being said, it doesn't make me any happier about what happened with Barriss. Others may shrug it off easily, which is fine. More power to them. For me, it's the dumbest thing they've done and have seriously lowered my great love for this show. Laugh if you like, I don't really care.
EliteJay
Private Second Class
Projects :: Star Destroyer V1.0
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by EliteJay »

I honestly thought it was maul because sidious never even killed him and told him i have plans for you. So when barris was the actual one i was really suprised! But i think sidious had something to do with it because he turned so many jedi like general krell, count dooku, and anakin, so im pretty sure he could turn a padawan like barris. All part of his plot to make the public more and more suspicious of the jedi order, thats why during order 66 when sidious announced that he killed off the jedi order and was establishing the "First galactic empire" the people cheered instead of being shocked. All these episodes are telling the story that led up to the events in episode III
modmaster13
General
General
Games I'm Playing :: COD SWBF
xbox live or psn: KrypticcElementt

Post by modmaster13 »

EliteJay wrote:All part of his plot to make the public more and more suspicious of the jedi order, thats why during order 66 when sidious announced that he killed off the jedi order and was establishing the "First galactic empire" the people cheered instead of being shocked.
That explains so much. I wonder if Ahsoka will be in season 6, if so I wonder how Dave will make her character fit in.