What happened to Clone Troopers ?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

R2SS
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

What happened to Clone Troopers ?

Post by R2SS »

What happened to the clone troopers once the empire was established ?

i know that stormtroopers were just regular conscriptees like me and you, but what happened to all the clones that survived the war ? were they just disbanded ?
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: What happened to Clone Troopers ?

Post by Bob »

I think they stayed in the army (Cody for example is a Commander on Kamino in TFU2), but since the imperial army was way bigger than the GAR they became sort of a rare sight.
R2SS
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1 and 2

Post by R2SS »

I see, cos I know from battlefront 2 there's the 501st legion which carried on into the Imperial era, they were still the original clones (correct me if I'm wrong)
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Yes, the 501st was the only Imperial all-clone Legion. The rest were broken up and mixed with the conscripts.
tirpider
Lance Corporal

Post by tirpider »

Then there was the darktrooper project....
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Naboo Otoh Gunga
Games I'm Playing :: swbf 1

Post by sereja2 »

Clone troopers, was normal humans, with normal life time. Kaminoean, are realy increase, theyr phisical grow up, but they did not "shrink" clones lifetime. This mean, in battle on Geonosis was 10 years kids, and in the battle on Endor, they was same age, as Boba Fett, or so. This mean, they was grow up mans, most time of theyr life, and totaly possible, they become all those imperial stormtroopers.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

sereja2 wrote:Clone troopers, was normal humans, with normal life time. Kaminoean, are realy increase, theyr phisical grow up, but they did not "shrink" clones lifetime. This mean, in battle on Geonosis was 10 years kids, and in the battle on Endor, they was same age, as Boba Fett, or so. This mean, they was grow up mans, most time of theyr life, and totaly possible, they become all those imperial stormtroopers.
Clone troopers aged at at least twice the rate of normal humans. That means that by the time of the Battle of Endor, they would all be incredibly old, if not dead. Assuming Luke was around the age of 18-20, that would place the clones somewhere around the ages of 60-70, from the time they were cloned in ~Episode 1.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

RogueKnight wrote: Clone troopers aged at at least twice the rate of normal humans. That means that by the time of the Battle of Endor, they would all be incredibly old, if not dead. Assuming Luke was around the age of 18-20, that would place the clones somewhere around the ages of 60-70, from the time they were cloned in ~Episode 1.
It does make you wonder how the narrator in BF2's campaign was in the military when his physical age was that of an old man by the final mission...
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Thrawn's clones were grown in days, but didn't die days later, and were able to live normal lives. Maybe growth acceleration stops when a clone is mature?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Ping wrote:
RogueKnight wrote: Clone troopers aged at at least twice the rate of normal humans. That means that by the time of the Battle of Endor, they would all be incredibly old, if not dead. Assuming Luke was around the age of 18-20, that would place the clones somewhere around the ages of 60-70, from the time they were cloned in ~Episode 1.
It does make you wonder how the narrator in BF2's campaign was in the military when his physical age was that of an old man by the final mission...
Who says it was the same narrator? They're clones.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Naboo Otoh Gunga
Games I'm Playing :: swbf 1

Post by sereja2 »

Hmm... Still, story of narrator, realy look's like a memory of the same person. Even if they are clones, they can't have the same memory...
So, I prefer my theory: physical condition (grow up look's), and age life time (DNA time line), it's not the same.
At least, think about money: who wish to buy an army, that become old, in a few years?
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

sereja2 wrote:who wish to buy an army, that become old, in a few years?
The clones were only supposed to fight in the clone wars and to stabilize the empire after that. That would be 4 years or so, after that there wouldn't be a need for unfailable super soldiers anymore and normal troopers could take over, for the tasks of the army become less essential.
Like Rouge said, the Kamino clones aged about twice as fast as normal humans. The narrator in SWBF2 can be explained with SWBF2's campain beeing extremely far away from canon. The 501st was grown on Coruscant, and a little bit later than the ones on Kamino. It's doubtable that they have even been in the Battle of Geonosis at the beginning of the clone wars.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

sereja2 wrote:Hmm... Still, story of narrator, realy look's like a memory of the same person. Even if they are clones, they can't have the same memory...
Yeah, I know, I was making a little bit of a joke of it. That's not to say it couldn't be different narrators - there's a little continuity between the vignettes presented at the beginning of each mission, but not enough to say that the same guy talking in the Mygeeto mission is necessarily the same one in the Kamino mission and then in the Hoth mission. The game clearly presents it as the same guy, though.

But the clones were supposed to be aged rapidly and made more-or-less disposably. Your chronological age doesn't matter - if your body's growth is accelerated twice as fast, you die twice as fast.
sereja2 wrote:At least, think about money: who wish to buy an army, that become old, in a few years?
The Emperor backed both sides of the war - he invested in droids that he eventually just scrapped. So obviously he would wish to buy an army that becomes obsolete in just a few years.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Let's say the clones in AtoC are 10 actual years old, but with growth acceleration they appear 20.

But ANH, they would have bodies of 60 year old men. I'm guessing the remaining first generation clones used cybernetics to keep them fit enough to fight. Of course Cody had to take a desk job on Kamino, goodness knows what happened to the rest of them in actuality.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

But wasn't the standard lifespan of a human then 130?
tirpider
Lance Corporal

Post by tirpider »

THEWULFMAN wrote:goodness knows what happened to the rest of them in actuality.
Then there was the Dark Trooper Project.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

In my opinion, introducing the "Phase Zero" into Star Wars canon is just stupid because its only existence is to explain why the Dark Troopers in the SWBF series are not droids.
tirpider
Lance Corporal

Post by tirpider »

I feel it adds a bit of depth to the darkness that embraced the Empire as a whole.
Not only was it a horde of troopers doing the terrible things in the name of Palpatine, but parts of the horde were terrible things themselves. Monsterous constructions that even made thier creators ill...
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

AQT wrote:In my opinion, introducing the "Phase Zero" into Star Wars canon is just stupid because its only existence is to explain why the Dark Troopers in the SWBF series are not droids.
I have a problem with retcons in general, because it's basically saying "oops, someone didn't do research, or otherwise didn't really care about pre-existing canon, sooooooooooo... BAM it's canon now."
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
AQT wrote:In my opinion, introducing the "Phase Zero" into Star Wars canon is just stupid because its only existence is to explain why the Dark Troopers in the SWBF series are not droids.
I have a problem with retcons in general, because it's basically saying "oops, someone didn't do research, or otherwise didn't really care about pre-existing canon, sooooooooooo... BAM it's canon now."
At risk of diverging from the topic at-hand, I think retcons are a fascinating exercise in creative thought. There are two very different kind of creatives working when media for a multimedia empire (like Star Wars) is created. You've got the pure creator - someone who says "I'd like to make a story about a giant city-planet, but I also want to spend some time in the water" - and that creator makes his story/setting as unhindered as possible. Then you've got the librarians, who say "well darn, this planet doesn't have water, let's make a story that ties this back with what we know."

I think that your best creatives are the ones who can juggle both, but I also think that there's a spectrum - you can't be as creatively pure if you're also minding the library, so the ones that can do both excel at neither. Either way, retcons are incredibly clever sometimes.