New Star Wars spinoff movies

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

New Star Wars spinoff movies

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-fi ... alaxy.html

One of the screenwriters also worked on Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. The other worked on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Thoughts?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: New Star Wars spinoff movies

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I love all four of the movies you mentioned, so I'm hopeful. I like the idea of spinoff movies, all I want is for high quality. Doesn't have to be OT quality, I don't see that ever getting topped, just better than PT quality.

Oh. And as long as they don't brutally murder significant canon in the existing EU.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Not sure how I feel about it.

The buyout was only a few months ago and they're already mapping out an assembly line of movies? A lot of people have accused Lucas of being in it for the money ever since ROTJ but this takes it to a whole new level. If they were planning original stories that are completely separate from the existing Star Wars canon and actually taking a creative risk, I'd be more optimistic but at this point I just get the feeling that they're playing it safe and cashing in on popular characters (supposedly a Yoda-centric story will be one of the spin-offs). They've got the whole Star Wars universe at their disposal so why not come up with something original? Hopefully they'll be willing to take more creative risks down the road after they've established that the franchise still has some life to it, which seems unnecessary because the BluRay sales have already proven this.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

More Star Wars == good for me. I usually just ignore what I don't like. I'm not so enthralled with canon that I can't handle some retcons, nor bad games, books, or movies.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

After playing swg for years I learned that I will enjoy any expanded universe content, as long as kiddie jar jar Mickey Mouse stuff isn't overwhelming.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

It could be interesting, although I would prefer that whatever characters the spin-offs focus on be minor characters from the "main" movies, or better yet, entirely new characters. All in all, I agree with Teancum's opinion - I'm happy to see the saga continue on. If there's some part of the story I don't like, I can just ignore it. That's what I've done with the EU novels for years. And even though I generally enjoy the current Clone Wars series, I essentially see it as a big "what-if" scenario, since I think the whole concept of giving Anakin an apprentice is ridiculous in the context of the main films.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Just from that little paragraph thing it sounds to me that its going to be about something completely new.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

If it's not completely alien to me, it shouldn't be bad. There's a lot of Star Wars stuff that is unexplained but is in a lot of other media besides the main movies which makes understanding certain aspects of the universe challenging.

Like the Clone Wars TV series for example: I don't know who half the people are, what they do, who they work for, etc. I want these movies to be understandable for people who have a) seen all the other Star Wars movies b) have not seen the Star Wars movies.

Overall it sounds great to me since it is focused on one character, so it would be interesting to learn more about the origins of some people.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

They're going to mine popular characters, and that's fine, but there's an alternate universe somewhere where military sci-fi draws big opening weekends. In that universe, they'd be making an X-Wing movie, and would that I lived in that universe.