Why do you love Star Wars?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

Glitch25
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: [ISM] [BFU]
Games I'm Playing :: [SWBFII] [SWBFI]

Why do you love Star Wars?

Post by Glitch25 »

Star Wars has been around since 1977 and has been expanding for decades. What is the reason for enjoying the Galaxy Far Far Away so much? Which Movie, TV Episode, Video Game, Comic, or Novel was the one that got you hooked?
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Re: Why do you love Star Wars?

Post by Cleb »

One of the the movies, I have no idea which 'cause I was so young but the reason I got hooked was because of the battles. Thats still why I like star wars. :wink:
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I grew up watching the Original Trilogy when I was exposed to it at the age of three. I always loved the ship designs and how cool Darth Vader was even though I probably didn't understand what was happening half of the time.

Did anyone else always hear growing up that Vader and Obi-Wan dueled over a lava pit? For some reason I remembered that being the story even before going in to see Episode 3. It must have been one of those pre-internet-blowup things like blowing on your cartridges or Mew being under the Vermillion truck.

Shame about the prequels. Even without critical thinking skills, I tended to avoid re-watching those movies. They just didn't interest me and I never could understand why. Battlefront II is probably the only reason I even paid any attention to them.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Fusion wrote:Did anyone else always hear growing up that Vader and Obi-Wan dueled over a lava pit? For some reason I remembered that being the story even before going in to see Episode 3. It must have been one of those pre-internet-blowup things like blowing on your cartridges or Mew being under the Vermillion truck.
I think that originated in the ROTJ novel.

Anyway, I have the same story as Fusion. My dad introduced me to the OT at a very young age and I immediately became obsessed. Watched the VHS tapes countless times and just about lost my mind when the Special Editions came into theaters.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

The movies didn't initially draw me in a massive amount. I ended up becoming a big fan of Star Wars legos at a very young age. Spent like 50 hours a week playing with Star Wars Legos.

Then I started getting into the novels a little. Some of the first novels I read? Three from New Jedi Order. Just about put me off of Star Wars for good. Still have a deep seated hatred for the NJO and TLotF.

But I gave Star Wars a second chance... and read The Thrawn Trilogy. I was hooked and never looked back. I gained a new appreciation of the OT, especially ROTJ. Read tons more books after that.

Legos and Zahn, pretty much why I love Star Wars as much as I do.
Glitch25
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: [ISM] [BFU]
Games I'm Playing :: [SWBFII] [SWBFI]

Post by Glitch25 »

I was born in 1995 and so I never really got to enjoy the films till I was old enough to comprehend them. The first film I watched was Episode 1, the moment I knew I'd love Star Wars forever was when the Battle Droids deployed during the Battle of the Grassy Plains. That epic music score by John Williams and the sheer number of these mechanized soldiers was incredible to me as a child and I still love the Battle Droids today.

I just wish they weren't portrayed as clumsy, weak, and dim witted in the Clone Wars series. I prefer to see the intelligent and tactile side of them like they were seen in SWBF2, EP1 and EP2.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

I missed most of the "glory days" of Star Wars, but what drew me in was the intense space battles of the original trilogy.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

I was actually exposed to the OT before the prequels, but I was born in 1996. When all the new Star Wars movies were coming out, my dad made sure I watched the first ones before I watched the others. As a result, my attitude towards Star Wars is a little bit more like the old timers. I didn't really get into Star Wars until Star Wars Battlefront II.
tirpider
Lance Corporal

Post by tirpider »

My mom got to see it before me, and read the novelization to me as a bed time story when I was little.

I sent in proofs of purchases from Trix cereal for a land speeder toy.

Then she took me to a drive-in triple feature (Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rodgers, ) where I saw the movie, finally.

Hooked...

Empire Strikes Back and all the Marvel comics deepened the facination.

Jedi disappointed me greatly, and it was all down-hill till SWBF.

So for me it's all about Luke, Solo, and Leia. The rest is garnish.

-edit (I'm pretty sure those were the titles of the triple feature, but I may be wrong... I was pretty young and it was past my bed time.)
Last edited by tirpider on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I've seen every Star Wars movie in the theaters at original release, its just been a comfort for me since being a baby. Love the Legos and other collector figures and such but nothing beats the ep 4 memories.
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DylanRocket »

I can't remember too much but it had something to do with getting a C3PO figure as a gift(at first I thought it was weird.)
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I was first introduced to the OT when I was about six years old. The movies immediately hooked my imagination - when watching the Star Wars movies (or reading the books, or playing with the toys), I could enter this huge, fascinating universe where just about anything was possible.

My favorite part as a kid was the space battles. As I grew older, my interest definitely could have waned, but thankfully I became heavily involved in studying music. With that development, I suddenly because aware of how powerful John Williams' score was, and as a result I remain hooked on Star Wars because of its quality as a musical work of art. As a musician and aspiring composer, I am astounded at how well John Williams is able to compose scores that blend seamlessly with the films, yet can stand on their own as beautiful, complete pieces of music. Moreover, he seems capable of writing in just about every style imaginable.

It's interesting how I can say that all of my career choices have been influenced to some degree by Star Wars. I became a music educator because of my love of music, which was influenced in part by my love of the films' scores. I've also taken up composition because one of my lingering childhood fantasy of becoming the next John Williams. And if for some reason I had to give up music entirely, my next choice would be to study astronomy out of my fascination with exploring outer space (which came, of course, from Star Wars). :)
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Lasers.

I didn't really get hooked on any one movie because I liked them all.
sereja2
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Naboo Otoh Gunga
Games I'm Playing :: swbf 1

Post by sereja2 »

First time, I saw Star Wars, ep IV, in movie theater, and it was very long time ago...
In some reason, this films, are just impossible to forget. They got very strong storyline (at least old episodes), and you easy become to except main characters, as your old friends.
Probably success of those films, also connected with medieval ballad style, about knights and princess, like story about "King Arthur and The Knights of the Round Table". Such legends, may live a milleniums, and slowly give the way, to some children stories, like books, series, comics and games, that we love so much :D ...
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

star wars battlefront 2 was just a major part of my childhood (i have seen the movies, and i prefer the originals more). When my dad would come home from work i would play battlefront with him and my brother for a while.....thats really what had me hooked, just spending time with my family
Nedarb7
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Nedarb7 »

B1 battledroids in the original clone wars series (or was it a movie?), I couldn't stop laughing at them :lol: .
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

I'm not really sure, it could be the story or the sci-fi or the coolness of it. I don't know, but I love it.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Myrkr Smuggler outpost
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Civ WC3

Post by AvalancheMaster »

Eggman wrote:[...] I became heavily involved in studying music. With that development, I suddenly because aware of how powerful John Williams' score was, and as a result I remain hooked on Star Wars because of its quality as a musical work of art. As a musician and aspiring composer, I am astounded at how well John Williams is able to compose scores that blend seamlessly with the films, yet can stand on their own as beautiful, complete pieces of music. Moreover, he seems capable of writing in just about every style imaginable.
:lol:

Funny how most contemporary music theorists have a strong dislike for Williams. Good to hear that not all people with musical education hate him.

Episode I was probably the first movie I saw on a big screen (either that or Titanic). But I was already hooked earlier when they aired the original trilogy on TV. Up until recently I haven't missed a re-airing of the Original Trilogy on TV back home (pretty small country), but it has been re-aired twice since I've moved to Scotland.

Back in 2000 I got a Christmas gift from my parents - a LEGO of an Y-wing and Darth Vader's TIE-fighter (dunno why it wasn't Luke's X-wing). That got me hooked even more.

But the things that got me to love the EU were reading the Thrawn Trilogy in 2003-4, and playing BF1/2 and EaW when they came out. I remember going out to play BF1 at videogame clubs with friends instead of studying for very important examination that would've determined the last 5 years of my education. Needless to say, I got a really high grade while shooting rebels instead of studying.

I'm somewhat sad that Galaxies is dead now. Is there a fan server out there?
CommanderFixer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: BF4 SWBF2 Skyrim
xbox live or psn: UBERMEISTER32

Post by CommanderFixer »

Well, I was born in 1998. I was about a year old when Phantom Menace came out, and by the time I was able to comprehend it, AOTC came out, and I loved that movie. Then my dad showed me the OT. I liked it even more. Then the Star Wars Battlefront series came out. And from there, I got really interested. My favorite things were all of the planets from Coruscant to Bespin, and characters like Stormtroopers and Mandalorians.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I think for many of us, it was a part of our childhoods in some way. I'm 22, so obviously I never saw it when it was in cinemas, but my dad still has all three of the OTs on VHS (and yes, Episode IV on VHS is simply titled "Star Wars"). It used to be a sort of Sunday afternoon thing to us. Either that or a Disney film :P Then of course came the Phantom Menace, and I think that was the period of obligatory childhood obsession. It may be why, even though TPM doesn't hold up too well now, I still view it with nostalgic glasses on.