Star Wars: Rogue One

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Star Wars: Rogue One

Post by jedimoose32 »

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one- ... d=12857863

So, the title Rogue One sounds really freaking awesome and intriguing. And Felicity Jones is confirmed as a lead role. Could we be getting a movie about the formation and/or adventures of Rogue Squadron? *hyping intensifies*
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

Post by THEWULFMAN »

As I told my dad when he informed me about this, I think this is really good news. I didn't think Abrams was what Star Wars really needed (he seems like a very "safe" choice), and I'm happy to see episodes 8 and 9 will be done by a different director.

And hey, I liked Looper, so. *shrugs*
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

I still haven't seen that movie, and I don't know why. Maybe this weekend...

And yes, I agree that Abrams was a very conservative choice by Disney/Lucas. I get it, he's made some good stuff in the sci-fi genre, and he's very good to his fans for the most part, but he lacks a certain kind of artistic flair that the Star Wars movies require. I can't really put my finger on it. (I don't doubt Ep 7 will be great, though).
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I really do hope this is about Rogue Squadron because that would be very awesome!
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Disney better not screw this up!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Getting reeeaaal tired of the anti-Disney posts. Just sayin'. :p
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

I'm with you, Marth. However I do understand some people being a bit uneasy, as Disney's track record with sequels is discouraging. Personally I think it'll turn out just fine.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

...and it probably will, but I just can't help but be nervous about this deal.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

In Abrams We Trust :P
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Let's put it this way. I feel there is no way Abrams can deliver anything less than a 7/10. His ability to give us a great 9/10 like Empire Strikes Back is questionable, but it's also unlikely it'll be anything short of good.

For reference, I call the prequels 6/10 (which is "fine"), and the other two orig trig movies get an 8/10.

tl;dr there's no way it'll be worse than the prequels.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:tl;dr there's no way it'll be worse than the prequels.
I was in elementary and middle school when the prequels were coming out, so I loved them at that time (didn't fully understand "plot holes" or what makes a relatable prow-tah-gawn-est at that age). Only in mid to late high school did they start falling apart for me. It was sad but that's why I'm extra glad Disney/Lucas seem to be just the right combination of self-aware and bold in their decision-making processes as we start a new era of Star Wars content.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

The only videos from that guy that I like are those exact star wars prequels videos. It was that video that made me pretty much write off TPM entirely.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yeah his other videos are awful.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

*debates posting comment*
*does not have several hours to type*

*leaves*
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

I feel you, bro
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Whatever, Red Letter Media is great and their achievements surpassed the Plinkett reviews a long time ago. Their "Best of the Worst" videos are a goldmine of entertainment.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this film, but the idea of Disney turning Star Wars into Marvel 2.0 worries me a little. I know there are lots of stories that can be told, so that doesn't concern me, but I hope that there aren't drastic fluctuations in tone and style. I dunno, I think we all have a very specific idea of what Star Wars should look and feel like, and with so many different directors/writers being attached to these projects, there are certainly going to be some departures in that area. "Too many cooks in the kitchen," so to speak. I had a similar issue with the EU, which I mostly regarded as rubbish, since they didn't seem to capture the spirit of the original films. Just no "grim-dark" or "gritty" movies, please. That fad needs to die.

In short, I don't like things that are different.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Oh, I didn't mean to say that Red Letter media is bad. I was referring only to Mr Plinkett's videos. The channel in general is pretty good.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

THEWULFMAN wrote:that guy

I was only referring to Plinkett's garbage-tier humor in his reviews, not RLM as a whole. I've watched pretty much every episode of Best of the Worst.
EraOfDesann wrote:Just no "grim-dark" or "gritty" movies, please. That fad needs to die.

Refer to Guardians of the Galaxy for the kind of tone I'd be happy with the new Star Wars movies having.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

So, this will be the first (proper) film done without John Williams (I don't count the Clone Wars movie or the Rebels one-hour special). Alexandre Desplat, the man notable for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and Godzilla (which he did with Edwards) will be doing the score. An interesting choice, as I think he's quite adaptable. He obviously won't be on the same level as John Williams, but it should be a good score nonetheless.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Since no one's posted it yet, we got a small update on Rogue One during the Celebration.

There was a teaser leaked. Most of the vids around the internet were removed but I'm sure you can find one if you Google hard enough. But since it's not an official release I won't post it here. From news sources, though, here's a description:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The footage rolls, and we hear Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi: “For more than a thousand generations, the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.”

The visual is a lush, rocky planet, with bird-like creatures flying over a valley, as the point of view lifts to see a TIE Fighter scream overhead. There’s the crescent of a dim moon in the blue sky above. Except …

That’s no moon.

As the camera rises above the treeline we see the laser disc of the original Death Star looming over the planet.

The footage cuts to black over the sound of panicking pilot voices, screaming at each other over their intercoms.
And here's the news:
Star Wars: Rogue One will apparently follow a band of rebels as they attempt to steal the plans of the first Death Star (NOTE: Not the second one, which is how many Bothan Spies died). Rogue One won’t be a film about people with The Force or the Jedi in general, director Gareth Edwards said. Instead “it comes down to a group of individuals who don’t have magical powers that have to somehow bring hope to the galaxy.”

Unfortunately for followers of the EU, it looks like this will overwrite Kyle Katarn's story. So everyone's favorite grey-area Jedi Knight might go the way of permanently non-canon.