Sullust: Jedi Conclave/Taris: Into the Sea

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Sullust: Jedi Conclave/Taris: Into the Sea

Post by Maveritchell »

sampip wrote:I'm not one to suggest this but I think that the blue stripe on the Militia Elite's wrist plating looks a bit out of place.
When I made the kitbash and the texture, I went off of this reference picture. I didn't want to add a constant glow to the model, but I did want to preserve the bracers with a hint of blue.
Blade117 wrote:Oh {diety} maps too? One more thing for my comp to not run. MIght you not make them graphically uber for the sake of those like myself
I don't have a top-of-the line PC by any stretch of the imagination, and I usually optimize my maps to run well on any PC (by which I mean mine is pretty close to the lowest common denominator). I don't think you'll have a lot to worry about.

That being said, let me show you a couple of the maps I'm adding. Normally, I'll only show one new map at a time, but these are both older maps I already had made and decided to add on to Rising Son.

The first you may be familiar with - it was the first land map I really released. Sullust: Jedi Conclave is a small, donut-shaped island set in a lava lake on the planet of Sullust. Ancient Jedi ruins dot the battlefield here. I mostly used this map because I'd been updating it as a favor for Tean anyway.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The second you may be familiar with, but you may not know that it's mine. I used a pseudonym to release this because honestly I didn't want to have my name associated with it. I know that seems somewhat odd in light of the fact that I'm now using it, but I decided that I would prefer not simply abandoning this map to being able to keep my secret. In any case, Taris: Into the Sea is a battlefield surrounding a small lagoon on the surface of Taris, set long after pieces of the city have started drifting into the sea.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Please note that the standard conquest mode in this map will not have the scripted events that the contest version had.

Neither of these will interfere with previous installations of these maps you may have.
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: I would like one.....
Location: Ride around the world! And I won't give you anything :P

Re: Dark Times II: Rising Son

Post by CodaRez »

So, the winning map was yours? I guess it must have been ironic, having to review ur own map, but on a grand scale, on a video. Who would of guessed :stormie: .

But, personal surprises aside, great to see Sullust: Jedi Conclave again :thumbs: IMO it was one of the best maps I played.

On the contest map, shame there will be no scripted events. But ah well, since it won the contest, it outta turn out great.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Hmm, so when I said: "if Warlod81 had spent more time working on the prop placement, Taris: Into The Sea would have been by far the obvious winner of the contest... but oh well, he still won anyway" back in that X-fire chat, I was talking about you... with... you?? That must have been awkward; well, I'm sure you have already taken care of that flaw anyway. Taris: Into The Sea seems to be a fitting inclusion to this mod, I find it interesting how you are always finding ways to reutilize your (great) maps. :)

The lava on Sullust: Jedi Conclave appears to be somewhat cold, isn't there a way to give it more brightness?
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: I would like one.....
Location: Ride around the world! And I won't give you anything :P

Post by CodaRez »

Nihillo wrote:
The lava on Sullust: Jedi Conclave appears to be somewhat cold, isn't there a way to give it more brightness?
hmm, right on the lava another note. The lava only turns on its effects on *low* water setting(well, for me)(on *high* setting it looks only like orange water)

U fixed that yet?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nihillo wrote:Hmm, so when I said: "if Warlod81 had spent more time working on the prop placement, Taris: Into The Sea would have been by far the obvious winner of the contest... but oh well, he still won anyway" back in that X-fire chat, I was talking about you... with... you?? That must have been awkward; well, I'm sure you have already taken care of that flaw anyway.
To be honest, few of the criticisms I made of that map were ones I agreed with; they were just criticisms I think that others might have come up with in my place. I don't plan on changing anything object-placement-wise; I might change a couple of the models (I elected not to do any custom models for the contest). The object placement is what I think it needs to be for the map to work well.
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Blade117 »

Nice maps, I don't forsee them crashing. Great work.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Great choice of maps, Mav. The Sullust one really does fit with the whole "Dark Times" feel.
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

Nova Hawk wrote:The Sullust one really does fit with the whole "Dark Times" feel.
QFT
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

Looking good! Really looking forward to this mod and these days I very rarely download.

And especially THANK YOU for making DENGAR. I made him once and lost it and all efforts to remake him failed. It's good to finally see someone make him. Not to mention your's is infinitely better.

But I'm loving pretty much everything I'm seeing, even the new Luke.

Really can't wait for Rising Son.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Mav was actually the one who made Taris: Into the Sea? He was pretty good at pretending it wasn't his, but why hide the fact it was your map? *brain explodes due to defying all logic*
theultimat
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by theultimat »

Nihillo wrote:The lava on Sullust: Jedi Conclave appears to be somewhat cold, isn't there a way to give it more brightness?
It could be done by adding an under-floor light, like on the stock map.
DarthHamster
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DarthHamster »

I may have missed this in the many updates but when is this coming out? January, February? Or do you have no idea?
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Mav's post with the information you are looking for: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 69#p369869
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Sullust: Jedi Conclave/Taris: Into the Sea

Post by Maveritchell »

By popular request (and my own perfectionism), I give you non-shiny lava under high water settings:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Yes, I know you can't tell the settings are on high. :P

In any case, just wanted to update that particular aspect. For all intents and purposes Taris is basically as you saw it in the contest version (with different sides and no more Samus/Star Fox music). Sullust is changed a lot from the original version, in that the pathing is much better, it has random skies, and it has new environmental sounds.
YaNkFaN
Field Commander
Field Commander

Re: Sullust: Jedi Conclave/Taris: Into the Sea

Post by YaNkFaN »

it looks good i guess but is there a way to make it not as gray (it looks like a sheet of gray celophane is over it) other than that it looks good