Control Mode

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Control Mode

Post by Maveritchell »

Since I've got a pretty good selection of maps to play around on now, I decided to take a quick break from working solely on maps and make one of the new modes I've been planning. This mode is control mode.

In control mode, each team has a set reinforcement count and pre-defined non-captureable command posts. The goal of control mode (akin to a reversed assault mode) is to completely eliminate your opponent's reinforcements.

The reason this mode is called "control mode" is because there are several command posts - control points - scattered across the map. These control points may be captured, like command posts in conquest, but you don't need to capture them to win, and capturing all of them won't win the match for you. They are captured much more quickly than normal conquest command posts, which means they will change hands often over the course of a match.

You will want to capture them, though, because each control point you control gives you a distinct advantage.

Each map using this needs to have a minimum of four control points, but it may have more (depending on the size of the map). The four primary control points provide one of the following bonuses to your team:
-An AI hero player to support your team
-A health regen for every unit on your team
-A regenerative shield for every unit on your team
-Higher energy regeneration rates for all units on your team

Any control point added past the original four will provide a reinforcement bonus to your team. If the opposing team captures a control point you previously owned, your bonus will be removed and they will take that bonus. In the case of some bonuses, units must either respawn or enter a command post to activate their bonus - which means that if you're diligent and try to stay alive, you can keep a bonus even if the other team has taken back a control point!

The control points are on fixed locations in every map, but their effects are randomized at the start of every battle. For example, the control point that gives you the hero bonus in one battle may give you a reinforcement bonus in another.

Because the hero is available as a bonus, there will only be one hero on the field at once and it will only be available to the AI. You still have access to the hero support units for either team, though.

In the below pictures you can see some of the aspects of control mode:
Hidden/Spoiler:
This first picture shows the difference between control points and noncaptureable command posts on your minimap. Note that all the control points are neutral at the beginning of the battle.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Each control point uses a different mesh than the standard control post as a means of differentiation. (For the astute of you out there you will notice it's the formerly-incomplete "original" CP model.)
Hidden/Spoiler:
As shown above, it's worth capturing and holding as many control points as possible at once. The bonuses all stack - the Bothan Spy above has the shield bonus, health bonus, and just spawned his team's hero.

This mode was fun to make and is a lot more flexible than wave mode, which means I can easily add it (and probably plan to) to any land-based map for Rising Son.
genaral_mitch
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Control Mode

Post by genaral_mitch »

This sounds very intersting. Like a cross between hunt\xl\capturable cps.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Ooh, sounds like alotta fun! I like the new CPs.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Nova Hawk wrote:Ooh, sounds like alotta fun! I like the new CPs.
I agree, this should be good, but what about the losing team? What happens to the balance of the match when one team has all Control Points?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nihillo wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote:Ooh, sounds like alotta fun! I like the new CPs.
I agree, this should be good, but what about the losing team? What happens to the balance of the match when one team has all Control Points?
It is obviously shifted in the favor of whichever team has more control points, just like conquest is shifted in favor of whoever has more command posts. However, since the control points are set up fairly equidistant from opposing teams' spawns, they're easy to capture back. As with any mode, AI autobalance kicks in if one team is far ahead.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Sky_216 »

Looks like fun, but two questions:

1) playable online?
2) why does it have to be on land based maps? Surely any map with conquest will work?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Skyhammer_216 wrote:1) playable online?
2) why does it have to be on land based maps? Surely any map with conquest will work?
1) No reason it shouldn't be. For obvious reasons it has not been tested.
2) Land-based instead of a space (vehicle) map. Any map that has infantry fighting works.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith

Post by lucasfart »

WOW!! This is a really good idea mav! one question though, if starts off alot better than the other, wouldn't it be basically impossible for the other team to get back in the game, even with autobalance, if the other team has all the bonuses? say one team had the hero bonus, regen bonus and the shield bonus, wouldn't it be virtually impossible for the other team to recover?
DarthHamster
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by DarthHamster »

Interesting idea, you never stop modding do you. :D All this new stuff going into the Rising Son is really getting me hyped for it!
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

lucasfart wrote:say one team had the hero bonus, regen bonus and the shield bonus, wouldn't it be virtually impossible for the other team to recover?
It's not impossible or even tremendously difficult. That's part of why I made the capture times for the control points minimal - the bonuses should and do switch around relatively often in a well-pathed map.

No unit is going to be invincible with the bonuses, even stacked all on top of each other. They will help you out, but if you get overwhelmed, you're going to die, shield/health bonus or not. The biggest reason this stays balanced is because the losing team can't get "cornered" like they can in conquest - the map is still entirely open to either team and it's virtually impossible (for a single player) to hold the whole map by himself.
Broken_box
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Broken_box »

That looks like fun,

Dark Times = Awesome
Rising Sun = Dark Time + Sequel + New Maps = Awesome
New Maps + Control Mode = Awesome :bowdown:
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

This looks really awesome Mav! Can't wait.
sampip
General
General
Projects :: Something big. And exciting.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3
xbox live or psn: masowner66

Post by sampip »

Wow, how do you come up with these good ideas? :D
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Hebes24 »

Very interesting. This mode sounds like a lot of fun.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

what about an Republik Comand team insteat of a hero??
special:
the comandos reacts on your commands you can give with the F5-F12.
I know in the opinions/controlls stands something about funktions for this keys but it doesn't work so if you play for exampel Boss you can tell the other rcs if they schout stop go behind infront of you or atack...
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

^ I believe by the time period Dark Times/Rising Son takes place, the Republic Commandos (pretty random idea) were already "extinct"...

Fascinating concept, Mav. I'm sure it will be a blast!
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Skiratas private arme??

@Mav.: do you upload an asselt so that everybody can use it??
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Anakin wrote:Skiratas private arme??

@Mav.: do you upload an asselt so that everybody can use it??
This isn't the Clone Wars era. You want something like you're proposing, then I suggest you make it yourself.
CCO!
Lance Corporal

Post by CCO! »

Incoming Randomness! Just a thought, and if this proves impossible to code forgive me, but I think that some tooltips (you know, like the one that comes up when you can use a lightsaber block) should appear upon reaching a Control Point. For Example

"Seize this Control Point to Spawn a Friendly Hero"

"Seize this Control Point to Gain a Regenerative Bonus"

That's just a "little thing" that I thought of.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

CCO! wrote:Incoming Randomness! Just a thought, and if this proves impossible to code forgive me, but I think that some tooltips (you know, like the one that comes up when you can use a lightsaber block) should appear upon reaching a Control Point. For Example

"Seize this Control Point to Spawn a Friendly Hero"

"Seize this Control Point to Gain a Regenerative Bonus"

That's just a "little thing" that I thought of.
I thought about adding in something similar, but part of the point of the mode is the fact that your control points are random - discovering what they do and planning around that is part of the strategy. Even if I were to implement exactly what you said, it would only quicken the "discovery" aspect by a short period of time - and it would also remove some of the incentive to capture an unknown control point sooner.