Dantooine: Farmland

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Dantooine: Farmland

Post by Maveritchell »

It occurred to me some time ago that it's been years since I've made a predominantly-outside "natural"-type map. The last one I did (and in fact the only one, unless you count the original original version of Bakura) was Ralltiir, and in retrospect, it's not one of my better pieces of work. In realizing this, I figured it would only be proper if I did go ahead and make a map like that for Dark Times II, since this is as good a time as any to try my hand at something I don't regularly do.

In any case, this Dantooine map is not inspired by anything KotOR (although I did make the iconic "blba trees" as background props). Like most of the maps I've made for this, I selected a couple pieces of concept art from Wookieepedia and worked from there.

This was fun, because getting to use foliage and water always makes it a little easier to make a map look nice, unfortunately, regular water doesn't do all of what I want (flow downstream) and regular foliage doesn't do all of what I want (line up in neat rows). Those couple of things were fixed with some little modeling things (you can't see it in the pictures, but the stream is really neat!). It's a pretty fun effect.

The map itself is a pretty standard medium-size map. Like Nar Shaddaa, there's a lot there that you unfortunately just can't see from pictures - but it'll be all the more fun when you do get to play it!
Hidden/Spoiler:
Ping
Sith
Sith

Re: Dantooine: Farmland

Post by Ping »

:eek: Holy crap, I had no idea a map could look that good. You keep outdoing yourself, Mav. :P
Master_Ben
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: Watching your PC over your shoulder. No, the other sholder....

Post by Master_Ben »

^Well said.
That looks stupendous, Mav. You just blew me away with that one. :runaway:
How'd you do the flowing water? I've always thought if I made a river I'd give a flat, -nocollision tagged scrolling model- is this what you did, or did you find some (as you always do) other genious way?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Master_Ben wrote:How'd you do the flowing water? I've always thought if I made a river I'd give a flat, -nocollision tagged scrolling model- is this what you did, or did you find some (as you always do) other genious way?
Nope, that's exactly what I did. The UVs are adjusted so that it flows along with the curves of the river - I used an orthographic view of the map as a rotoscope to model a grid that more-or-less matches the shape of the river.

I also have some extra bits to the river rocks so that it looks like water is breaking against them.
DarthHamster
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by DarthHamster »

So this makes, what, the 11th map for Dark Times II? And once again you've totally caught me off guard with the magnificence of it. Dark Times II = :thumbs:
Master_Ben
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Location: Watching your PC over your shoulder. No, the other sholder....

Post by Master_Ben »

Maveritchell wrote:Nope, that's exactly what I did. The UVs are adjusted so that it flows along with the curves of the river - I used an orthographic view of the map as a rotoscope to model a grid that more-or-less matches the shape of the river.

I also have some extra bits to the river rocks so that it looks like water is breaking against them.
I see. The rock idea is amazing (not to mention the UV work to make it flow right), I've always wanted to make/see flowing water done. :)
And again, the map looks stunning. Especially how the sky fits in to everything else. :thumbs:
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Wow! :shock: This map looks amazing, Mav! I especially like the screenshot with the sun setting in the horizon. Nice work with the landscaping. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but it seems each of the space map from the original Dark Times is getting a complementary land map, right?
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

With all these great maps coming out, I dunno which one to try first cuz they are all awesome. Mav, you never cease to amaze me.
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

Impressive work Mav!
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: I would like one.....
Location: Ride around the world! And I won't give you anything :P

Post by CodaRez »

Hmm, I know when you put the moons in the bright evening sky its relevant cus sometimes the moon appears at that time.

But I think you should at least put a slight amount of tint, from the sky's colour onto the moon to give it a blending sense.

Right now the moons look near-completely outta place in the dusk sky.

Other than that, u have captured the Dantooine farm feel very nicely :thumbs:
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

CodaRez wrote:But I think you should at least put a slight amount of tint, from the sky's colour onto the moon to give it a blending sense.
You are right; that was something I should have done in the first place. I initially didn't do it because I wanted to share textures from the night sky moon models and the evening moon model; I am sometimes a little cheap on using more textures.
Hidden/Spoiler:
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Looks great! The moons being below cloud level is a little bizarre, though.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

I couldn't help but notice that...
impspy
Captain
Captain

Post by impspy »

Nice work Mav, very impressive :thumbs: .
Last edited by impspy on Sat May 01, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

EraOfDesann wrote:Looks great! The moons being below cloud level is a little bizarre, though.
Don't think about it too hard. I tossed that one around for a while, but I wanted the cloudy sky as-is and the best way to make that happen was with the clouds as the background. Glad someone noticed it, though.
Nova Hawk
Banned

Post by Nova Hawk »

Hey Mav, I noticed in one of the pics that there are some CW-styled Y-wings at one of the command posts and I probably already know the answer but are those gonna be flyable?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nova Hawk wrote:Hey Mav, I noticed in one of the pics that there are some CW-styled Y-wings at one of the command posts and I probably already know the answer but are those gonna be flyable?
You're probably right in your guess at the answer, but your supposition is off that they are the BTL-B Y-Wings. Those are standard Y-Wings (as seen in the OT), and they are not flyable.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

This really looks fantastic. The haze is a little too thick for my taste, but that's a really minor concern. You're bringing so many planets from the Star Wars universe into life for the game, and you're doing a superb job with all of them (the same goes for all the other contributors to the mod). :thumbs:
Nova Hawk
Banned

Post by Nova Hawk »

Maveritchell wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote:Hey Mav, I noticed in one of the pics that there are some CW-styled Y-wings at one of the command posts and I probably already know the answer but are those gonna be flyable?
You're probably right in your guess at the answer, but your supposition is off that they are the BTL-B Y-Wings. Those are standard Y-Wings (as seen in the OT), and they are not flyable.
Ah, you're right Mav... those are the standard Y-wing bombers. At first glance though, they looked a little like the CW-style ones.

Since those are not gonna be flyable, will there be any ships that you can pilot on the map?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Eggman wrote:The haze is a little too thick for my taste
What haze?
Nova Hawk wrote:will there be any ships that you can pilot on the map?
Most of my maps have been small-to-medium sized, none of them are conducive to flying aircraft/starfighters around. (Also if there are vehicles for a map I will have mentioned it in the original post.)