Corellia: Coronet Rail

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Corellia: Coronet Rail

Post by Maveritchell »

The main reason I wanted to do a Dark Times II was because after finishing off Rebel Ops, I had a couple neat map ideas that I knew I wanted to try out but didn't want to make a huge project out of individually. Some of them got scrapped and some got changed (my original envisioning of Nar Shaddaa had a much less industrial feel), and the truth is that most of the maps I added to this project were just put together on a whim. This map, however, is probably the only one that I knew I wanted and I knew I wanted it a certain way - and it stayed that way.

"Corella: Coronet Rail" is a medium-small map that breaks one of the rules I usually have for maps for a team-based setting: it's primarily all one straight line. It was a fun design challenge to work out ways to make this both playable and fun, but I knew the map had to stay in a straight line - otherwise it couldn't turn out like I wanted. I made this map to be the interior-only of a moving train, and so the map is just that - nine cars hooked together. It was a fun design, because it's always neat working with clever ways to create the appearance of something that actually isn't there (in this case the movement and the city through which you move).

As with a lot of these maps - but probably most-so in this case - you won't get a completely accurate representation of the setting just from pictures. Hopefully they'll sell the map to you by themselves, but if they don't, I can guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised when you try the map itself out.
Hidden/Spoiler:
And for those of you that didn't notice the pattern, you will notice now that every one of the space map planets from the original Dark Times now has a corresponding land map. :)
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Corellia: Coronet Rail

Post by Null_1138 »

Mav wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Chandelier win!
Mav wrote:And for those of you that didn't notice the pattern, you will notice now that every one of the space map planets from the original Dark Times now has a corresponding land map. :)
You're a genius.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

That looks fantastic. The visuals are a lot different, but is the general idea based off of a mission from Jedi Academy, by chance?
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Looks quite interesting! Will we get to see a video demonstration of the moving background at some point?
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

I was hoping that a Corellia map would be added to this fantastic mod and you did it. I don't know how you do it, Mav... all of these map look superb, including this!
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: Mapping on occasion
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII + MW4 + SC4

Post by sim-al2 »

Wow a train based map. Now that's a cool idea. Will there be a way to go "outside" of the train or just visit something like the locomotive (do they have those in Star Wars? :oops: )
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Sweet, it's finally up! It's not what I originally thought it would be but this concept is really interesting and perhaps better than your average urban setting. Looks great! :thumbs:
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

sim-al2 wrote:Wow a train based map. Now that's a cool idea. Will there be a way to go "outside" of the train or just visit something like the locomotive (do they have those in Star Wars? :oops: )
Well, assuming this IS in fact based off the JA map, in that level, there was a car at the front which had a few computers and such, presumably to control the train. So kinda... kinda not.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Eggman wrote:That looks fantastic. The visuals are a lot different, but is the general idea based off of a mission from Jedi Academy, by chance?
Actually, yes, probably. I know that I played that shortly after finishing the original Dark Times and it likely made me think it could be a neat idea. My implementation is (and had to be) different, though.
sim-al2 wrote:Will there be a way to go "outside" of the train or just visit something like the locomotive
Nope, this is confined to the center section of the train - there's no accessible caboose or locomotive.
acryptozoo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Yavin Mappack
Games I'm Playing :: Homeworld 2
xbox live or psn: acryptozoo

Post by acryptozoo »

*sniffles* its. . . its beautiful

:runaway:
this map seems very fun always wanted another corellia map :D

wow DTII is looking really good
great job mav
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Wow this looks amazing! I like the variety between compartments, and the custom modeling is excellent.
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

*jawdrop*
Wow, this is impressive, Mav. Can't wait for the release. I pray it's before September 8th.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by lucasfart »

Looks awesome as expected Mav! It will be interesting to have an linear indoor map like this. Will it, by any chance have a rotating sky which makes it look like the train is moving, is it stationary, or can you just not see outside?
StarkillerMarek
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by StarkillerMarek »

This looks awesome.