Dark Times II: Rising Son - Released!

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

CommanderFixer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: BF4 SWBF2 Skyrim
xbox live or psn: UBERMEISTER32

Re: Dark Times II: Rising Son - Released!

Post by CommanderFixer »

Hmmmm..... Rocket Troopers. These comics sound interesting. It would make sense that the Imps have some sort of flying trooper, anyways. If Boba Fett had a Jetpack, the Empire surely would use them on their troops. The Phase Zeros are a good example. From other things, the Space Trooper. Although they're only seen in Space, they have Jetpacks, and use them quite obviously. *Off Topic*By the way, I'd like to credit you, AQT, for your clone stormie skins, inspiring me to make a revamped Dark Trooper.(I'll send you the pic, if you want) :clone: :stormie:
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Projects I am ready to unveil
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-MW2-Madden 08
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

I hope people don't get too mad at me, but I haven't seen most of this said yet and I feel it's a fair assessment, so I'll go ahead and post it:

I really liked all the maps, except raxus prime seemed noticeably of lesser quality then the others (not really sure why, maybe it's just not my type of map) or maybe the design is too simple for my tastes, but It's not a bad map anyway. The sides are very similar to the original dark times, in many ways, though I was sad the bothan had the disguise kit removed (though I think it caused online-crashing bugs, not sure though) I'm not really a fan of how the sides have unlimited ammo, aside from explosives, and too many crack-shot bots become frustrating (for me at least) it seems like I die a lot and there isn't too much I can do about it. I liked VIP mode but it always seems to go by extremely quickly, either increased health on the hero, or a lower number of AI per team would fix this (IMO) and control mode seems a bit too much like conquest for my tastes, so I'll usually end up playing conquest.

Gunner assault on Nar Shaddaa is very fun, For me the only things I don't like about it (Nar Shaddaa) is that it's a pretty small playing area (which is OK for most game modes) but it seems to get cramped with 32 bots. Playing through gunner assault quite a few times I can say I hate Col Serra's grenade launcher, the Salvo Count seems far too high and like it should have limited ammunition. If somebody hits me with it once, unless they have horrible aim, I have 0% chance of recovery before they hit me again and again until I'm dead. Besides that, technically I could complain about the other knockdowns, but it's too darn fun to send people flying off the docks to gripe over. (And they ARE a lot easier to recover from)

I love a good space map, and Mon Calamari is simply awesome. I love the ships, and the way the system works, I only wish that it didn't go by so fast (even with destroying all the enemy's critical systems), and unless I'm missing something, there's no way to increase the reinforcement count. (Aside from fake console, which I despise using to alter my gameplay)

I haven't completely finished the campaign, but I can say that I love the rebel ops maps, with more of an RPG element, but I suppose that would be expecting far far far too much for an 18 mission campaign in a first person shooter, as it is it's loads of fun, I like the system it uses, and the way that it's set up, and it's definitely a nice addition to the stock campaign. Having said all that, I can say (IMO) I'm a fairly skilled player and it's very frustrating at times, mostly because there is an unlimited number of ai running around (which can't really be helped if you want it to work right) that usually destroy me before I can make it to my objective. (Mostly in maps like Taris and Mon Calamari)

All in all it'll be a permanent keeper on my machine, and it might be the best mod I've ever played. I really don't give out 10's unless to anything unless I think it's absolutely perfect, so I'll give it an 9/10
CommanderFixer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by CommanderFixer »

The disguise kit is featured in the BBY sides. Even though some things are diappointing, I think most of us like the Cryo Ban Grenade. Btw, what's a Hero Support Unit?
genaral_mitch
Jedi
Jedi

Post by genaral_mitch »

CommanderFixer wrote:The disguise kit is featured in the BBY sides. Even though some things are diappointing, I think most of us like the Cryo Ban Grenade. Btw, what's a Hero Support Unit?
A quick way to find out what the hero is.
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

CommanderFixer wrote:The disguise kit is featured in the BBY sides. Even though some things are diappointing, I think most of us like the Cryo Ban Grenade. Btw, what's a Hero Support Unit?
Nope, Not for me at least, for me it was removed after installed DT 2. CryoBan nade is nice though.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Col Serra has a bad range, just engage him from afar and he won't be able to do anything to you (unless he is a human player with a fairly decent understanding of how the projectiles arc over a distance).
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

Yeah, I mostly played against humans on Nar Shaddaa Gunner Assault, and if someone is anywhere near the skill level you are, he's a pain in the rear to beat. I also forgot to mention, Luke's jump attack looks cool but seems to take you far too high to be of any real use (aside from extending your jump) And Also, I love the Solo's Luck buff.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

AgentSmith_#27 wrote:Yeah, I mostly played against humans on Nar Shaddaa Gunner Assault, and if someone is anywhere near the skill level you are, he's a pain in the rear to beat. I also forgot to mention, Luke's jump attack looks cool but seems to take you far too high to be of any real use (aside from extending your jump) And Also, I love the Solo's Luck buff.
Luke's jump attack is good for tower turrets and AT-STs once you get the hang of it. I imagine it would also be great against jump troopers if timed properly.
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

Luke's jump attack is good for tower turrets and AT-STs once you get the hang of it. I imagine it would also be great against jump troopers if timed properly.[/quote]

I figured on the AT-ST's, but I didn't consider Jump Troopers! It could also help getting out if your surrounded, or if you need that extra boost when you're about to fail that uber long jump. Thanks, I shall now go master my jump trooper owning skills!

Edit: I just remembered, I played Raxus Prime again, and I think it's more just me not liking the planet the map is set on, than anything actually wrong with the map. It seems kinda...junky :P
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Bothan Spies are set up so that when online, they don't have disguise kits. Offline, all the Bothan Spies do, except in campaign missions and wave mode.

Unlimited ammo is a conscious choice, because aside from things with solid projectiles (grenades, rockets) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have laser-esque weapons running out of ammo. Ammo conservation on basic weapons for the troopers is not something I enjoy worrying about, and in most cases it's not something you have to worry about anyway - so I just removed the ammo issue entirely.

Col Serra is actually one of the weaker heroes in an open area (which Nar Shaddaa is) because of the low splash damage and poor range on his mortar. The counter-balance to this is, of course, the ease with which he can continually trap an enemy he's already knocked down, but it's pretty hard to maintain this advantage against more than one enemy. The only villian who should even have to worry about coming in range is Bossk (because he's also a mortar hero) - both IG-88 and Dengar have sighted, long-distance weapons and Boba Fett should always have high ground. The toughest hero character to play against in hero assault will always be Han, because of Solo's Luck and the strong blaster weapon.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="AgentSmith_#27"]I hope people don't get too mad at me, but I haven't seen most of this said yet and I feel it's a fair assessment, so I'll go ahead and post it:

I really liked all the maps, except raxus prime seemed noticeably of lesser quality then the others (not really sure why, maybe it's just not my type of map) or maybe the design is too simple for my tastes, but It's not a bad map anyway. The sides are very similar to the original dark times, in many ways, though I was sad the bothan had the disguise kit removed (though I think it caused online-crashing bugs, not sure though) I'm not really a fan of how the sides have unlimited ammo, aside from explosives, and too many crack-shot bots become frustrating (for me at least) it seems like I die a lot and there isn't too much I can do about it. I liked VIP mode but it always seems to go by extremely quickly, either increased health on the hero, or a lower number of AI per team would fix this (IMO) and control mode seems a bit too much like conquest for my tastes, so I'll usually end up playing conquest.

Gunner assault on Nar Shaddaa is very fun, For me the only things I don't like about it (Nar Shaddaa) is that it's a pretty small playing area (which is OK for most game modes) but it seems to get cramped with 32 bots. Playing through gunner assault quite a few times I can say I hate Col Serra's grenade launcher, the Salvo Count seems far too high and like it should have limited ammunition. If somebody hits me with it once, unless they have horrible aim, I have 0% chance of recovery before they hit me again and again until I'm dead. Besides that, technically I could complain about the other knockdowns, but it's too darn fun to send people flying off the docks to gripe over. (And they ARE a lot easier to recover from)

I love a good space map, and Mon Calamari is simply awesome. I love the ships, and the way the system works, I only wish that it didn't go by so fast (even with destroying all the enemy's critical systems), and unless I'm missing something, there's no way to increase the reinforcement count. (Aside from fake console, which I despise using to alter my gameplay)

I haven't completely finished the campaign, but I can say that I love the rebel ops maps, with more of an RPG element, but I suppose that would be expecting far far far too much for an 18 mission campaign in a first person shooter, as it is it's loads of fun, I like the system it uses, and the way that it's set up, and it's definitely a nice addition to the stock campaign. Having said all that, I can say (IMO) I'm a fairly skilled player and it's very frustrating at times, mostly because there is an unlimited number of ai running around (which can't really be helped if you want it to work right) that usually destroy me before I can make it to my objective. (Mostly in maps like Taris and Mon Calamari)

All in all it'll be a permanent keeper on my machine, and it might be the best mod I've ever played. I really don't give out 10's unless to anything unless I think it's absolutely perfect, so I'll give it an 9/10[/quote]

Well said. I have no problem with your criticism, so there's no need to worry. Its only when people get whiney about things that required a lot of effort that i get annoyed. Constructive criticism like this is actually good.

In this case though, i don't have a problem with unlimited ammo. I don't even normally worry about it unless its a grenade/secondary wep, and as Mav said, since they're lasers its only fair to make it unlimited.

I agree about the bothan, though, as i much preferred the disguise kit, although i can live without it in the campaign (I presume this was for people that wanted to play the campaign online??).

I did notice a few issues with this myself, although they were only minor; some of the campaign missions didn't have map names (would show up as "Battle on ------", - indicating nothing there). The minimap on Kashyyk was noticeably off, although it didn't really make a large difference.

I'm very impressed at how close to perfect you got this mod, and the issues i pointed out above make absolutely no impact on gameplay, but would help nonetheless. I give this mod a 10/10, as the issues i pointed out are hardly noticeable, and certainly better then the issues of most maps and mods.
Last edited by lucasfart on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Sky_216 »

Maveritchell wrote:Unlimited ammo is a conscious choice, because aside from things with solid projectiles (grenades, rockets) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have laser-esque weapons running out of ammo. Ammo conservation on basic weapons for the troopers is not something I enjoy worrying about, and in most cases it's not something you have to worry about anyway - so I just removed the ammo issue entirely.
just throwing my opinion out there - i actually prefer having the overheat rather than ammo from a gameplay point of view - to an extent it makes you have to conserve shots when in combat more and makes your sidearm more useful.
Lagomorphia
Major
Major

Post by Lagomorphia »

If somebody hits me with it once, unless they have horrible aim, I have 0% chance of recovery before they hit me again and again until I'm dead.
You've clearly forgotten about stock force push. Grrr...force push barrage...
The Dark Troopers were equipped with Jump Packs, like their Phase Zero counterpart... Or did Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron lie to me?
Lies! All lies! :D The Phase 2s had proper jetpacks.
it's too darn fun to send people flying off the docks to gripe over.
Nar Shaddaa, Wave Mode, Force Finisher.
to an extent it makes you have to conserve shots when in combat more and makes your sidearm more useful.
I actually find I have to use it less.

Has anyone thought of both overheat and ammo? :lol:
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Sky_216 »

Lagomorphia wrote:Has anyone thought of both overheat and ammo? :lol:
In BFX 2.2, downside is overheat ring doesn't show up.
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

to an extent it makes you have to conserve shots when in combat more and makes your sidearm more useful.
Same. I rarely use my sidearm.

I understand about ammo of course, not sure about Star Wars but in most Sci-Fi the crystals (or whatever) would die eventually, but probably not soon enough to be of any real concern so I suppose it would technically make sense to have unlimited ammo, it's just something I personally don't really love.
About Col Serra, it's knockdowns in general that bother me, because:
Lagomorphia wrote:You've clearly forgotten about stock force push. Grrr...force push barrage...
No no, I've never liked push, or knockdowns in general, I think they're ok if they can't be spammed, but in most cases the can be. The difference between the stock knockdowns and this is that this hurts you at the same time. This is probably less annoying than force push though, because it's not on every single map. TBH, I rarely have problems with AI and knockdowns, generally against Col Serra I've been online 2 on 2 and against humans I've found that if he shoots first, aside from interference from a 3rd party, you have very little chance for recovery during the remainder of your life.

Has anyone thought of both overheat and ammo? :lol:
I saw Mav say in a review once, if he's going to be limited, he'd rather it be either or rather than both. (I think that's what he said)
CommanderFixer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by CommanderFixer »

The Dark Troopers were equipped with Jump Packs, like their Phase Zero counterpart... Or did Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron lie to me?
Lies! All lies! :D The Phase 2s had proper jetpacks.
it's too darn fun to send people flying off the docks to gripe over.
Nar Shaddaa, Wave Mode, Force Finisher.

Has anyone thought of both overheat and ammo? :lol:[/quote]
Actually, I was referencing to the Phase 3's. But I think you may be right.
@Disguise kit gone:
I'm pretty sure it's random on single player. Because usually on the ABY sides, the Bothan has invisbility,but once, he had a disguise kit, while the BBY Bothan is vice versa, rarely having invisbility.At least in *my* experiences. I noted that invisibility wears off quickly.
EDIT: I messed up the quotes.... oops. :oops:
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Maveritchell wrote:Bothan Spies are set up so that when online, they don't have disguise kits. Offline, all the Bothan Spies do, except in campaign missions and wave mode.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Hey Mav, sorry to ask this again (I forgot what you said) but will the authors who have installed DT1 have to reinstall all this new stuff? Cuz I was playing on some of Sky's Last Days mod and I didn't get any of the new units. So does DT2 overwrite DT1 or will the author of the map/mod have to do that himself?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I can't magically change someone else's scripts that've already been munged into a map or a mod. I wrote my additions so that anyone who added Dark Times before Rising Son was released will still have Dark Times working, but of course it won't add any of the new units - their scripts didn't call for them.
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Marvel4s BF1 Conversion Pack + Era Mod

Post by Marvel4 »

Hi, I'm playing the campaign right now. Really good maps so far. :thumbs:
But... Dantooine has no sounds, only music... :(
EDIT: Very strange... after I restarted the map, the sounds worked...