Question about adding Objective mode

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Par3210
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Question about adding Objective mode

Post by Par3210 »

Hello. I want to add Objective mode to online play - but I don't know the "era" code for it. Could someone please tell me?
I mean like galactic civil war is g and clone wars is c, what is dark times 2?
Thanks
fasty
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Server modding
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Question about adding Objective mode

Post by fasty »

Why would you need an era code like that?
Read through this, it tells you how to add DT to your map.
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 74&t=18253
Par3210
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Par3210 »

I don't want to make a map, I want to play objective mode online with my friends on DTII...
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Objective is a single player mode like the stock campaign missions. It also works like Galactic Conquest. You can't play Campaign and Galactic Conquest online.
Par3210
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Par3210 »

I saw loads of people online with objective mode though? :S
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Something cool...
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CoDBO BFBC2
xbox live or psn: Has no xbox....Yup

Post by Darth_Spiderpig »

Maybe you mean the old Wave Mode? :?
Par3210
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Par3210 »

perhaps, but it said _obj on the end of the game code..
fasty
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Server modding
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by fasty »

You can play the stock campaigns online with other people. That is probably what you saw. It's not possible to play the Dark Times campaigns online that I know of, since its played through galactic conquest.
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: Mapping on occasion
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII + MW4 + SC4

Post by sim-al2 »

The way I would check is run the debug .exe and open the map, then quit and check the Bf2log. It gives the name of the mode there. Also, Campaigns can be played online. I know since I've done it before. The only real issue is that clients don't get objective texts and stuff, which makes it more...interesting.
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Projects I am ready to unveil
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-MW2-Madden 08

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

Yeah, what you do is in the chat window type in something like: /admin /addmap NSD1_obj
WARNING: if you get the wrong map code, your server will CTD.

I believe it's certain LUA functions that crash clients online, and there seems to be quite a few that do so...

I've tossed around the idea of making a co-op, completely online compatible campaign, but I'd think it'd be pretty hard to do it as clean and neat as a one-person campaign...
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Yeah it's possible, because the stock campaign is ***1g_c.
I think you should just try what AgentSmith_#27 said.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Any mission you ever play in any part of the game must be loaded in to the game as a mission. Because the online admin controls let you access any mission directly, bypassing the shell (game's interface), you can play any mission loaded in to the game. Loading my objective missions is no different from loading stock campaign missions, or my wave missions, or any other mission.

I didn't enable any of the campaign missions (stock campaign) or single-player wave missions to be accessible in multiplayer, and I didn't enable objective missions to be accessible in anything but the galactic conquest campaign simply because they were not designed with multiplayer in mind. I have zero control over whether people load them in directly with admin commands, though - just like Pandemic has no control over you loading in their stock campaign missions, which are also disabled in multiplayer.

All the objective missions use the _obj suffix. Their era name is "1," and the order of the missions as they appear in the instant action select screen are:
st7, ccr, dfl, fes, imd, ktv, ksc, mca, nsd, rxc, sjc, tis, tib

I obviously can't stop people from loading these in in MP, and honestly I don't mind - I assume that if you know how to load these in, then you are already aware that these kind of things are fully unsupported for multiplayer play, and will require things like force-swapping players and may not work at all for non-host clients. Other issues have been mentioned above.

I did write a couple of basic multiplayer missions, and these are of course the Hoth and Kamino wave modes. They were written specifically to support MP play, and they are supported and enabled for that kind of thing.
AgentSmith_#27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Projects I am ready to unveil
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-MW2-Madden 08

Post by AgentSmith_#27 »

Maveritchell wrote:I did write a couple of basic multiplayer missions, and these are of course the Hoth and Kamino wave modes. They were written specifically to support MP play, and they are supported and enabled for that kind of thing.
And my friends and I play those missions just about every other time we play online. (BTW, if multi was the specific focus, why not use the chat system to deliver localized popups?) I know most people here really only do single player, but I really wish there had been at least one more multiplayer-supported wave mode in DT 2.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Any mission can be played online, you just need the map code, era code, and game mode code. Like AgentSmith said, you need to use the admin command to do so. For example to add Coruscant (cor1) conquest (con) during the galactic civil war (era "g") to any online server at any given time, you would type "/admin /addmap cor1g_con", map code first, then era, then underscore and game mode. By this method, the stock campaign CAN be played online by adding maps with the game mode "c" to the server. so Coruscant campaign would be "/admin /addmap cor1c_c". The only dangerous part about this is if you screw up, the server will freeze during the mission summary at the end of the current map before moving on to your added one, and you'll have to ctrl+alt+delete to quit the game.

Now what Par is asking is the one letter era code that Mav used for DT2. With this, and the proper game mode abbreviation, you can add any and all the Dark Times campaign missions to your server. Every mission has a mission code, so every one can be added to a server. But no one guaruntees that it will be stable or work properly.

EDIT: awww, I type this all up and Mav already answered the question....
Oh well. To sum up, to add Taris campaign (and essentially make getting all those pesky Holocrons a HECK of alot easier) the command would be /admin /addmap tis1_obj