Ambience

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Ambience

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Anyone wanna hear the creepy ambience (cave noises) found in Minecraft ON DEMAND?!?! :D :yes:

Well now you can!
Introducing http://www.minecraftupdate.net/music.php! Your number one source for scaring the heck out of every Minecrafter across the globe!
My personal favorite (read: "The one that scares the crap out of me the most when I'm looking at total darkness") is #10.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Re: Ambience

Post by Fingerfood »

"Takes 5 seconds to navigate to the Minecraft sounds folder*
*Realizes that took more like 30 seconds*
*Realizes that, either way, I likely won't find a use for the sounds*

:|
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

It's kinda funny how suspenseful Minecraft can be, I mean, it's a simple game about mining, crafting and building things, and yet it manages to put me on the edge of my seat. Maybe it's the simple graphics, the lack of ambient sounds or the complete darkness inside the caves, I don't know, whatever it is that makes me feel uneasy when going underground, it's awesome.

I have played plenty of survival horror games before, and very few of them actually succeeded in scaring me, the fiends in Minecraft on the other hand always manage to find a way to catch me unprepared, be it a hissing Creeper ready to explode and take away most of my hearts, a skeleton suddenly firing an arrow from a concealed alcove in the shadows or the excruciating sounds of a Spider hunting for human flesh (seriously, I am not arachnophobic, but those things are making me HATE spiders), I just can't get used to them, they always give me a big scare.

Kudos to you, sir, for finding these.
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Post by Wonderboy »

Nihillo wrote:...or the excruciating sounds of a Spider hunting for human flesh (seriously, I am not arachnophobic, but those things are making me HATE spiders), I just can't get used to them, they always give me a big scare.
How do you think I feel, I actually do have arachnophobia. I can't look at a picture of a spider without being horrified. The MC spiders are worse, they jump and strike at you. Minecraft succeeds in scaring the pants off of me.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Most survival horror games resort to simple jump-scare tactics, and very simple things. It seems that most attempts at horror are foreseeable, where the pitch of the violin heightens and becomes faster as the lights flicker as you walk up to a corner. Minecraft is brutally warning-less in it's coding, giving you no clues or hints as to when the ambient noise will pick up and when you will hear an arrow whiz by or the creeper "HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS." That and the fact that there are actual stakes in Minecraft. If you're in your base and you see a creeper, you will poop bricks, because your base is important to you. Or if you're in a cave, spelunking near some lava, and you hear an arrow fly by, you'll poop bricks, because you're inventory is filled with goodies and the lava is convinced that it doesn't like you or your stuff. It's the connection and the actual surprise that scares you. An explosion, or a loss of your stuff is more terrifying than a nameless enemy ripping you apart, leading to a checkpoint respawn.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by RogueKnight »

As a side comment to Grev's, I use a Logitech 7.1 surround sound headset, and the sound out of that thing is so amazing, that whenever an arrow gets shot unexpectedly, I literally jump. My mom started wondering why it looked like I was having a seizure at my desk one of these times. haha.