Most Valuable Block

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Most Valuable Block

Post by CressAlbane »

What does everyone here think is the most valuable or useful block? Please post your opinion here.
My choice is Wooden Planks because you can build so many things out of them, and carrying a few in your inventory is never a bad idea.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Re: Most Valuable Block

Post by GangsterJawa »

Gold. It's so shiny!
commander501stappo
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim BF4 KSP CIV V
xbox live or psn: DarthAppo

Post by commander501stappo »

I don't know, I like obsidian(don't ask why), but it's not very helpfull, unless you're going to the nether. I would propably say wooden planks too, easy to get and usefull to alot.

No.. wait, glass, I love using it. It can be used to allmost everything that too, but when I get to think of it, it requires too much sand and coal :( Well, I'm still carrying like two stacks of themmin my inventory all the time :P

SO yeah, I'd say wooden planks and glass on second place.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Diamonds. Very hard to come by, very useful.

Iron is a close second for me, it's not as rare and valuable as diamonds, but mining iron ores is always high priority for me.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Hmm. If you were asking about ore blocks specifically, I'd say iron or coal. Probably iron though.

Overall, I'd have to go with glass or wood, though.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

brick

least common block in the game?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Plastic :P
Hidden/Spoiler:
The rarest block of all 8)

Just kidding, I have no idea how minecraft works :cpu:
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

SilvaDalek wrote:brick

What is the purpose of brick blocks anyway? I don't see the point in searching for semi-rare blocks of clay, then spending half an hour converting clay balls into bricks, and then combining them into brick blocks. It's too... expensive. It's much easier to use cobblestone, since you can easily acquire them by the hundreds.

@Wulfman: actually, the Lego comparison works pretty well; both in Legos and Minecraft there are bricks that look cool, bricks that are pretty basic and useful, bricks that are rare and bricks that are practically useless. We are discussing which ones we find most valuable.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

Nihillo wrote:
SilvaDalek wrote:brick

What is the purpose of brick blocks anyway? I don't see the point in searching for semi-rare blocks of clay, then spending half an hour converting clay balls into bricks, and then combining them into brick blocks. It's too... expensive. It's much easier to use cobblestone, since you can easily acquire them by the hundreds.

@Wulfman: actually, the Lego comparison works pretty well; both in Legos and Minecraft there are bricks that look cool, bricks that are pretty basic and useful, bricks that are rare and bricks that are practically useless. We are discussing which ones we find most valuable.
Most aesthetically pleasing building block which is extremely rare? There is no purpose of any block, I mean we could all make our houses out of dirt, but we choose cobblestone, stone, wood, and brick.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

I'd say wood... as in logs.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

The block you use most.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

That would be stone, then. Plentiful, inexhaustable as long as you have an artificial lava spring, you can make tools out of it as well. My house is 80% stone.
conqerer2
Private Recruit
Projects :: Blah.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft - woooooot

Post by conqerer2 »

Most useful block?
Redstone. Come on man. Repeaters are a close second. Followed by torches.
TNT zombies from far away? remote controlled minecart tracks? Automatic double doors? Music? Dumping lava on bad guys remotely? Bridges that fall from the roof? And if you have Craftbook, you get even more uses out of it. And once pistons get added... I won't even start.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I never used redstone. Ever.
conqerer2
Private Recruit
Projects :: Blah.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft - woooooot

Post by conqerer2 »

Never? You are missing out my friend.
Though the joy of building large structures such as castles and floating islands is great, the joy of things like, say, making a giant pinball machine, or simply not having to open the doors to your house when you come home, is fun. Also, you can make some pretty awesome things with it. For example, I have a house that bursts into flame when people step on a pressure plate. Completely pointless, I built it for someone making a map, but it's still cool. And dorky, and all that.
So redstone serves almost no practical, mob killing use. But it is still by far my favorite block. I've reached the point in the game where survival is no longer really an issue, and it's a great way of continuing the discovery of new things. There's always someone else who's built a giant castle in the sky, but very few other people can do things with redstone, simply because they won't spend the twenty minutes on youtube it takes to find out how to use it. And it's totally worth it when you get the note blocks timed right to play the legend of zelda 'you found a secret' noise to play.
(Please note that this is not an attack aimed at anybody who doesn't know how to use redstone. I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation)

--Edit--
Also, brick blocks serve the same purpose as diamond blocks. Pride. What do diamond blocks tell people? "Wow, this guy has untold wealth, and he's just leaving it lying around his house for me to find. Guess I'd better steal it." The same is true for clay.
Brick blocks are sort of the same way, but they also give a sort of realism factor to it, for people who are into realism, or are trying to replicate a modern day brick building.
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Playing BF3 for PS3
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft and BF3
xbox live or psn: PSN: DrakusFett

Post by DrakusFett »

conqerer2 wrote:Most useful block?
Redstone. Come on man. Repeaters are a close second. Followed by torches.
TNT zombies from far away? remote controlled minecart tracks? Automatic double doors? Music? Dumping lava on bad guys remotely? Bridges that fall from the roof? And if you have Craftbook, you get even more uses out of it. And once pistons get added... I won't even start.
I'd say one of my Fav things with redstone is Redstone Cart Track So fun :D
Recently I built a Piston Tribute to 1.8.

DrakusFett wrote:I just made this it only took an hour or so.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Just was kinda Bored so I built this to 1.8 :)
Image( <---This is the Video Link (Also the video is over at 0:15 I forgot to stop it)

This is the Back side
I did use and Inventory Editor or it would have taken forever to build....