Can we get another GT server up?

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

ps2owner
Corporal
Corporal

Can we get another GT server up?

Post by ps2owner »

Can we? I really miss the old server, after it went down my MC experience has gone down. The other servers are unstable, and SSP is not too fun. I really miss a place to meet with the other cool people from GT. This is the first forum I joined, and the most mature one. Now, the only problem besides hardware is the terrain changing in all these updates.

Offtopic: the new zombie AI and jungles look pretty cool.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Can we get another GT server up?

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Here's the deal. I cannot run a server on my personal machine anymore. I can only run it from my alienware laptop, and my hard drive and fans took quite a beating from the last attempt. And every time Xavious volunteers, you guys complain quite frequently about the lag.

Now, I've been recently playing on my friend's private dedicated server (though not too often, I haven't been playing much lately either), and it runs rather smoothly. However, it costs money. I'd be more than happy to administrate a server for you guys, but I don't have the means to run it myself, nor the funds to pay for it by myself. So you guys would have to pitch in.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Donators would get special privledges such as a separate, exclusive world or access to a few /give commands (not all, because that's not fair play). I'm sorry to say that not all donors would be moderators, but that's because I don't want someone to pay one month just to be able to ban someone.

Thoughts?
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by General_Nate »

I am building a dedicated server, but it won't be private for just GT. The server is going to be for the YouTube channel my friends and I are building. I do plan on opening it up to GT for Beta Testing/early access though.

I don't have a date for the server, but I'd like to maybe have it out by the Summer.

I don't know if this is anything you guys are interested in, because it won't be private, but it IS better than the server we hang out in now.
ps2owner
Corporal
Corporal

Post by ps2owner »

Hmmm, I might get some money soon. It's pretty rare for me though, so I understand. My PC wouldn't work, because it was made in 2001. And thanks Nate, would just hope it wouldn't turn into what Grev's server turned into. How much would it cost monthly to run a 5-10 slot server?
Maybe we (GT minecrafters) cold figure something out.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by General_Nate »

Just out of curiosity so mine will not end up the same way, how exactly did Grev's fail in your opinion?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I actually have a laptop - which I always leave on, but don't use often - that is connected to the Internet 24/7 that I could host a dedicated server on for a while until I fix my motherboard's temper tantrum with my desktop's wireless card.
ps2owner
Corporal
Corporal

Post by ps2owner »

General_Nate wrote:Just out of curiosity so mine will not end up the same way, how exactly did Grev's fail in your opinion?
Actually, I guess maybe it didn't fail, but I miss the maturity of the GT folks, and I've heard reports of factions related kills of GT people. I Miss the maturity of GT and also, Null was dissatisfied with the server, and left. It just didn't feel like the GT server. If we manage to get a server up though, we might want to wait till the major biome/terrain changes are over with.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Geeze, all this terrain/biome messing with weather and the simmilar crap never happened in Beta... (Good old 1.7.3) Well, 1.6 was annoying but not terrain damaging
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

OH, this is for Minecraft, not Battlefront! WOW! That's embarrassing... :oops:
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by General_Nate »

Ok, so just mainly the maturity of the server.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, rants or Jawas about this server, please shoot me a PM. This community is amazing, and I will try my best to give back to you guys. :)
ps2owner
Corporal
Corporal

Post by ps2owner »

Okay. Thanks Nate :)
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

I've been running a server for a few of my friends whenever I'm on, and I'd be willing to whitelist a few GTers if any would like to join. We're trying to find a stronghold and conquer the End.
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Playing BF3 for PS3
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft and BF3
xbox live or psn: PSN: DrakusFett

Post by DrakusFett »

Sounds cool. But I never really get on lol.
But Good luck with the End! :D
NullCommando
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: NullCommando

Post by NullCommando »

I have not given up on my attempts to set up a proper Minecraft server for you all even if my initial attempts didn't work. I'll let you all know here if I make any progress.

I also would like to apologize to those unfortunate souls that witnessed my anger on the WAR! server. It takes a lot to get me mad; I got my rage mode button pushed multiple times.
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Playing BF3 for PS3
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft and BF3
xbox live or psn: PSN: DrakusFett

Post by DrakusFett »

NullCommando wrote:I have not given up on my attempts to set up a proper Minecraft server for you all even if my initial attempts didn't work. I'll let you all know here if I make any progress.

I also would like to apologize to those unfortunate souls that witnessed my anger on the WAR! server. It takes a lot to get me mad; I got my rage mode button pushed multiple times.
Well you took it for a long time. That button must have some heavy blast shielding. :)
I too miss the old GT server back when I was a noob and though it was so cool that my mine was at bedrock. lol. I guess the coolest part was that slime spawned in my mine a lot haha.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Grev »

NullCommando wrote:I got my rage mode button pushed multiple times.
LOL signs.
Good times.
Rage was had.
commander501stappo
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim BF4 KSP CIV V
xbox live or psn: DarthAppo

Post by commander501stappo »

I'va actually been planning to buy a dedicated server for GT! If I ever do, I shall tell you all!