Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Re: Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Post by commanderawesome »

ARC1778 wrote:
I still think there's gonna be a Clone Wars DLC.
IS THIS CONFIRMED? (I am almost about to eat everything I said.)
No, but it seems highly likely considering the obvious demand for it. I doubt EA would pass up money like that.
ARC1778 wrote:
ARC1778 wrote:And you know what? That's fine. I won't like it, but I hope you will
Lemme put it this way, nothing on this planet is gonna stop me from wasting money on this game. I don't care if it's just a "Star Wars wallpaper". I'll still probably like it. I'm a complete sucker for anything Star Wars. :P
I'm a sucker too, I just happen to be a discerning girl. I won't buy anything that just comes out, 5 POA action figure? It had better be something real good.

but what I'm seeing here is a star wars themed game, (and I think it will be fun) but not an -in universe experience, and that's what I want, I don't buy pop figures of star wars characters, because they have no value to me, cute as they are, and unfortunately I don't think this will etheir.

The co-op mode looks really cool, and I like that they did that, and the load-outs, although I can't get 100% behind it, I can understand it totally, but its so stupid, pick-ups? See if this thing comes out and the pick ups are "side-objectives" in supply-drop creates, I will 360 sooo Diet Dr. Pepper fast, but I just can't, it's carried by the license, they made another game, themed like this, and know what if it comes out and it isn't gamey, and looks good, I'll come give it a go, but I am not convinced, the lack of modding, horrifies me, I'd understand if they'd said no mods for 5 years until we shut the servers down they you'll get mod tools, but no, just no mods, period.

I'm glad their not pulling thier, use our servers only rubbish they normally do. But SWBF, wasn't the greatest game ever, we made it a better game for sure, and your skin changer, made it the game closer to what I wanted it to be desperately, but the thing is, it was the first, so it's basic features we forgave, it's basic failures we forgot, because there was no alternative, SWBF made it because of it's new features, with this new BF, there is an alternative, an alternative that uses the theme better.

They say At-at aren't fun to drive, well do your coding right and we won't have to, you'll have bots, but give us the OPTION. In the old game you could do everything that one person could do in that universe, in this game, you can't, you're limited by factors that are not in-universe or the engine.

and to me, that's something that I find hard to forgive, and given that i'm seeing shiny shiny coins everywhere with lightsabres on them, that's too far.
While I agree with your points, I'm gonna wait until I've played the game to make my final judgement. As of right now I think I'm gonna like it, but I don't think it'll quite stand up to the originals.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Post by ARC1778 »

commanderawesome wrote:
ARC1778 wrote:
I still think there's gonna be a Clone Wars DLC.
No, but it seems highly likely considering the obvious demand for it. I doubt EA would pass up money like that.

While I agree with your points, I'm gonna wait until I've played the game to make my final judgement. As of right now I think I'm gonna like it, but I don't think it'll quite stand up to the originals.

Agreed, waiting for the final product is a bit worrying, but the right idea, what could change during the beta could be huge, although I must rescind my point about the AT-AT, it's on Rails. You can still shoot from it. Which I can understand. Although I don't agree with it on endor.

Also Check your PM's dude. :funny2:
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

If you're referring to your most recent message, I already read that. Terribly sorry, I should have given some kind of acknowledgement.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Post by ARC1778 »

commanderawesome wrote:If you're referring to your most recent message, I already read that. Terribly sorry, I should have given some kind of acknowledgement.

Nah, don't be sorry, i was just wondering if you were still on-board, since it's been a stupidly long while. XD Also I made my first map, so actually doing something useful! Vehile odfs are turning my head around, but I really want to learn how to make buildings, because like seven some of the biggest cities in TCW can be made with just 20 unique pieces, and I really want to make Iziz.
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

Can't wait to play this game once again. The Alpha was an extremely good time, and the beta is going to have even more stuff to do and customize. This beta should be a really good reference point for a significant portion of the full game. Also, can't wait to slay some Stormtroopers on Sullust! I'll have to add some of you guys on Origin and see if we can't get some sort of play-date set up! My new PC is ready!!!
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Need to upgrade my graphics card.

AND I'm gonna be out of town the weekend of the beta :(
*sigh*... Oh well. I can wait another month to try it out.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

What do you think about the system requirement??

mini: Intel i3 6300T, 8GB RAM, nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB, ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB

recommended: Intel i5 6600, 16GB RAM, nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB, AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB

Just bought a new pc with 8GB RAM....
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

For anyone interested, you can preload the beta today so that you can play right away when it goes live tomorrow without having to wait on everyone else on Origin.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

The game will have NO microtransactions: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mic ... 0-6431154/
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DylanRocket »

I'm currently downloading the beta on PS4... I actually put the effort into making a Japanese PSN account just to get an early access version, so hopefully it's worth it!

(There's a few more Japanese codes if anyone else wants to try them out, https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattle ... ch_region/)
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Who's loving the beta? Me.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

I downloaded the beta on Xbox One. So far, I am pretty disappointed. Aside from the graphics (which are good, but not anywhere as good as I would've expected) there wasn't anything I liked about it and it was overall pretty confusing and glitchy (the latter I'm willing to excuse because this is a beta). I couldn't roll, enter turrets or anything. The gameplay didn't feel like the original Battlefronts at all. I've only played Battlefield a few times but this was far closer to that than Battlefront. I ended up quitting before the game even ended. :?
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

For someone who played a lot of the recent Battlefield titles... it's nothing like Battlefield at all. They just focused more on blaster weapons instead of the random weapons Pandemic made up (which really destroyed any resemblance of Star Wars in the actual fighting). DICE did a very good job on recreating an authentic Star Wars experience with sound, visuals and feel (of the movement and weapons).
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Cleb wrote:I downloaded the beta on Xbox One... Aside from the graphics (which are good, but not anywhere as good as I would've expected)
PC Masterrace graphics ftw
Cleb wrote:...there wasn't anything I liked about it and it was overall pretty confusing and glitchy
Really? I didn't notice any bugs, and after playing about 3 matches, it wasn't very confusing. Aren't all new games confusing at first?
Cleb wrote:... I couldn't roll, enter turrets or anything.
You can enter turrets by pressing 'e' (on pc). Very effective against the walkers.
Cleb wrote:... The gameplay didn't feel like the original Battlefronts at all. I've only played Battlefield a few times but this was far closer to that than Battlefront.
Gameplay did feel different, but essentially, it did have the same feel of Battlefront 2. You couldn't roll. You didn't have health and ammo droids. But the weapons felt the same, so did the heroes, the vehicles, and even some of the new special Star Cards. You have to except that this is a new game, and as much as I wanted to see a BF2 with better graphics, Battlefront needs to evolve. Also, if you have played any Battlefields for a good length, you would know that Battlefront was virtually nothing like Battlefield.
Cleb wrote:... I ended up quitting before the game even ended. :?
Well, this may be why things were confusing and why you didn't get the "feel" :?
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Played a few rounds of each multiplayer game mode and have mixed feelings at this point...It had very little replay value, but I can't tell if it's because of issues with the game as a whole, or if it's because of the limited content of a beta.

There are some game mechanics that pleasantly surprised me, and others that disappointed me. The regenerating health was actually a plus, if you ask me. It made firefights last longer, which is great in modes with lower player counts. The flight mechanics were awful. The pickups aren't too bad...although I really wish they had kept them to powerups/gadgets, and kept heroes and vehicles the way they were in previous Battlefront games. I desperately hope there is more weapon variety in the final game. Some of the default key bindings seemed odd. I switched some around, and it made things a little better...I'd still need to change a few more to make it actually feel intuitive.

I didn't notice any significant bugs. My framerate was a little choppy on Hoth for the first minute of each round, but it was totally smooth after that. The game looked very pretty even on medium settings (PC).

My overall opinion at this point is...meh. It's a fun game to play for free, but I think I'll hold off on purchasing it. The replay value just isn't enough to justify spending $60.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

I wasn't a fan of Walker Assault, but Drop Zone was definitely more my speed. I did kinda grow fond of the pickups, but like Eggman, would've preferred they left vehicles and heroes out of that system. Things like bubble shields, orbital strikes, and E-Web turrets? Sure. But the vehicles and heroes should've been seperate.

Personally, I thought the replayability was fine. The single-player even looks like it's going to satisfy the achievement-hunter in me, with collectibles hidden in the survival missions (maybe more), and different difficulties to clear both solo and co-op. I see myself spending a lot of hours in this game.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Kingpin wrote:Also, if you have played any Battlefields for a good length, you would know that Battlefront was virtually nothing like Battlefield.
I haven't played DICE's SWBF yet but I'd just like to point out that I've poured thousands of hours into Battlefield 2 and thousands of hours into SWBF2 (these are very accurate time estimations, FYI), and they've always felt very similar to me. (It should be noted by the way that the Battlefield franchise was an extremely huge influence on the Battlefront franchise, according to Battlefront II's designers in their dev blogs from a while ago.)

With all that said, I agree that Battlefront must evolve. I've personally never been very satisfied with the way any of the Battlefront games play (especially when it comes to vehicles); Battlefield has always filled that gameplay void for me, ever since I found both franchises in 2006-2008.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

I managed to play some of the beta yesterday on the PS4 and my mind was blown!

The graphics, needless to say were absolutely incredible, as well as the sound. It was also incredibly smooth, smoother than any other game I've played ever, I didn't experience even the slightest bit of lag, even in multiplayer. It truly felt lifelike and immersive, like I was really in the Star Wars universe. The controls were easy and felt pretty natural, very similar to the old games. Now for the gameplay. Overall I found it to be easy enough to be fun, and challenging enough to keep me playing without getting bored. It's a nice balance. At a glance, the gameplay seems very simple, but the customization with star cards (secondary weapons/items) and power-ups add quite a bit of depth to it. You really have to think about what star cards to equip and when to use them, and there's quite a variety of star cards available in the beta, ranging from grenades and rockets to sniper rifles to jetpacks. All with their strengths and weaknesses. Most star cards have unlimited uses and have a cooldown effect. Others, however, have a limited number of uses, and have to be replenished using special powerups called charges. This indeed add another extra bit of challenge to the game. There are three levels you can play in the beta, I got to play all of them:

Survival Mode on Tatooine: In this mode, you are a lone rebel soldier who must survive against waves of imperials. I played this on easy mode (This was the first mode I played). It's pretty much exactly what you saw in the E3 gameplay. Even in easy mode it was pretty challenging. The enemies are easy to take down, but they can overwealm you pretty quickly. In this mode I was given pre-made loadouts I star cards to use. In my best match of this I got 37 kills and survived 5 out of 6 waves (there are probably more waves at higher difficulty levels).

Walker Assault on Hoth: This was definitely the most fun and epic out of the three. In this mode the Rebels must secure uplink stations in order to sens in a bombing run to disable the shields of the AT-ATs, rendering them vulnerable. The Empire must prevent the rebels from doing so and defend the AT-ATs. The Rebels win if the AT-ATs are destroyed. The Empire wins if they are intact after the time limit. I got to play this as both sides. I didn't really get to try the vehicles much, but I did get to fly a TIE fighter around a bit. The controls and handling are identical to the original games. I unfortunately did not get to try out the heroes. But just the infantry combat alone was really fun.

Drop Zone on Sullust: This was the most fast-paced out of all the modes. In this mode each team has to capture escape pods as they fall. The first team to get five wins. Needless to say, you needed to stay on the move. Very fun.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Marth8880 wrote: (It should be noted by the way that the Battlefield franchise was an extremely huge influence on the Battlefront franchise, according to Battlefront II's designers in their dev blogs from a while ago.)
Similarities between the older Battlefields and BFII? Yes. But I didn't feel like there was any resemblance between Dice's Battlefront and, quite frankly, any of the Battlefields.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I think it would have been better if they had included "Supremacy" and "Fighter Squadron" modes in the demo for multiplayer and "Battle" alongside survival. Supremacy will be a lot closer to the classic play style.

I agree with what has been said about balance so far, but it's a problem the originals had: the CIS was way too overpowered thanks to the Droideka, and it was too easy to win as the Empire on Hoth and Endor.